What's new

Shows that thrived, got better rating, were just better after a main character LEFT. (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Yes, Claire and Kate (from Lost). Cassie and I have been fans of that show for quite some time. Those are our nicknames on another Board.

Radioman,

Some of the members of our family had never seen Pleasantville, so it was fun watching it last night (even if I had to put up with ... commercials!)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Last night, my favorite pop-rock solo artist (Buddy Holley) was interrupted in the middle of one of his songs due to commercials. This was not good! :)

Cassiopeia

Auditioning
Real Name
Melanie
I should dig out that Kate avatar I had before. :)

Nice to see you again Claire!

Btw: I have my visitor over now, which is why I haven't kept in touch much. I'll email you soon, I promise.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Kate,

Nice that you stopped by. Please drop me a line when you can. We need to talk a bit about Lost and ... Ronald. :)

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure about the ratings, but I think Married With Children became a much better show when Steve Rhoades (David Garrison) left and Jefferson D'Arcy (Ted McGinley) came in and married Marcy. Marcy became a bigger foil for Al Bundy, and I think Jefferson fit in well with the NO MA'AM crew.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
In addition to Holadem's suggestion about Angel (even though I liked Doyal but he's no Wesly) I must add that I thought Cordelia started to get extremely irritating in the last 2 seasons. Each episode it seems was beginning to focus more and more attention on her and it became overkill for me a little.

It started with that whole wierd period where she became a higher being and came to a head with the whole Jasmine (Gina Torres) storyline. Thankfully Cordelia got gone for the most part after that. Connor was no picnic, either.

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike
Eight Is Enough qualifies, I guess, though not through the fault of anybody being bad or good - mostly due to incidentals:

Major shake-up during the 1st season when Diane Hyland, the actress who played the mother, died! She was replaced by Betty Buckley

Also, the actor who played "David," the eldest son (Mark Hamill) quit the show, to be replaced by actor Grant Goodeve.

buttmunker

Second Unit
Real Name
Mike

There are many who would debate you on that one. Ted McGinley is known as a "show-breaker" (although I did happen to enjoy him a great deal on this particular show - his turn as D'Arcy was pure comedy)

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I believe that Las Vegas started to drop a lot in the ratings when James Cann and Nicki Cox left the show.

I personally believe that Monk became a better show when Bitty Schram left and Traylor Howard stepped in.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
This change made me very uneasy at first. I really liked Sharona. But, after a time I have found that I do like the episodes with Natalie Teeger quite a lot. Maybe the writing also improved at this time?

JeffO

Stunt Coordinator
"There are many who would debate you on that one. Ted McGinley is known as a "show-breaker" (although I did happen to enjoy him a great deal on this particular show - his turn as D'Arcy was pure comedy)"

Yes, I know that Ted McGinley is known as the man who defines "Jump the Shark" and he is assumed to be a show killer, but I found him perfect for this show. He actually acted in many more episodes than David Garrison, so he can't be accused of being a show killer for Married with Children.

I agree that many like Steve better than Jefferson, but I liked the more over-the-top Jefferson episodes than the slightly more realistic Steve episodes.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson

Me too.

I took to Natalie immediately, Sharona was downright mean to Adrian sometimes and had little to no patience towards him.

That said, I still miss that rack of hers lol. But give me Natalie anyday.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Most people think Newhart improved when they replaced Jennifer Holmes with Julia Duffy, and Steven Kampmann with Peter Scolari.

Kevin Hewell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Hewell

Most definitely. I saw a couple of the early episodes on WGN the other day and they were not up to snuff. The switch from video to film really helped as well.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
West Wing continued on OK without Rob Lowe. I don't know if they improved the ratings after his departure, though.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker

It started to go download when Rob Lowe left and then they lost John Spencer and Jimmy Smits joined the staff. But what really started the beginning to the end was when Aaron Sorkin left the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks