What's new

Show off your sub!!! (1 Viewer)

Joseph Sabato

Stunt Coordinator
My sub was a "Re-cycling" Project. I was using my AR9 LS Towers for subwoofers in my HT system ( F3 of 28 Hz with a Qtc of .5) and they did a great job. As time went on,"foam rot" set in so I converted one of them to a Tempest based sealed system and it worked out well. When the other one "rots" I may try a ported Shiva based system as the box volume will allow me to clone an Adire Dharman, I have not decided yet.

My other option would be to duplicate the first system, which will give me the option of going to a Infinite baffle system using both Tempests....... "I will get rid of those two big 4 1/2 ft tall boxes if you don't mind my cutting a hole in the wall, dear"

You can check it out at home.fuse.net/jgsabato/My_Project.html

MikePenn

Auditioning
? for Anthomy Gomez -

I love the look of those speakers. Could you tell me more about the finish?
I'm guessing truck bed liner on the front, but what is that on the sides? Veneered mdf? or solid hardwood? What type of wood?

Thanks,
Mike

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Paul:

you have a lot of good and useful pics on your site, especially for a first time DIY sub builder - its easier to show how to brace when you have an image. It would be good to get a concise version of your sub on my site with critical details & info
Sorry I'm so slow getting back, I haven't been on much lately. But I'd love to put my sub up on your site, just let me know what you need.

And thanks!

Jerry Parker

Stunt Coordinator

My Blueprint 1803, in a 15 cubic foot sonotube, with a 10" diameter port tuned to 18hz. It is powered with a QSC RMX 1450 amplifier, and a Behringer feedback destroyer pro for equilization.

A

Anthony_Gomez

Yup. Brian is right. All wood is solid walnut. The obvious sections are 3/4" solid. the top is 1/8" resawn walnut.

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Jerry,

Do you actually use that thing in a bedroom?!!!

That is huge ... I assume you mean 10" is the length not the diameter? (otherwise it would have to be 36" long!!! (and 1.6 cu ft volume)

cheers,
Paul

Jerry Parker

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah guys its 10 inches inner diameter. Its 36 inches or so long :D

I can hear port noise at 15hz at about 105dB at around 4 meters away from the port though on the radioshack spl meter (corrected values). But thats only with a pure tone. I have never heard port noise during a movie or anything.

And yes its in a bedroom :b

Chad Kuypers

Stunt Coordinator
Jerry,

I have essentially the same subwoofer as you, but mine is in a 14 cubic foot sonotube enclosure tuned to 16 Hz. The Blueprint 18" is my favorite subwoofer driver in the world after owning nearly everything.

My port is an 8" PVC pipe, but I put a 3/4 inch flare on each edge. I have never heard ANY kind of port noise on that thing. Honestly, the entire second floor of the house starts to shake before I even get a chance to hear port noise. :D I would think that your 10 inch port would pretty much put a stop to port noise.

I still think this driver is the king of subwoofer drivers. I have had my hands on the RE XXX 18 which has more displacement, but it is not as suited for home use as this subwoofer is. I wish that they still made these so I could buy another one. And to think that they were less than $300 when they were brand new...

Jerry Parker

Stunt Coordinator
Chad:

I agree, AFAIK the XXX 18" is the only driver out there with more displacement than the 1803.

As for the noise, I dunno, it seems that with EVERY vented speaker system I have designed, I have this problem. I never have any problems with it when playing music or movies, but when it comes time to play test tones, I always hear chuffing noises at and below tuning :angry:

I would guess my problem is that the inner surface of the vent is not completely smooth with the wood it mounts against, and this is what is causing the problem with the whistling.

I dunno, the whistling starts at about 105dB or so at around 15hz, so I don't think I should be too concerned, but when you have a "no limits" subwoofer, its kinda annoying when something like this occurs. :frowning:

Chad Kuypers

Stunt Coordinator
I don't think I should be too concerned, but when you have a "no limits" subwoofer, its kinda annoying when something like this occurs.
Yes I agree. You should expect more out of this behemoth. :) My 1803 in my living room breaks 120+ dB all the way down to 15 Hz at my listening position. It might play louder, but it is honestly so incredibly scary at this output level that I am afraid to turn up the volume any higher. Did I mention that this is my favorite subwoofer driver ever? :D

Brian-K-Owens

Stunt Coordinator
I am trying to remember Chad, is that my old 1803? You should have bought the pair!!!!

I will say I actually like the Tumults more than the 1803, although the single 1803 had more output with 1000 watts than the pair of Tumults with 2200 watts. Of course, the 1803 was ported, and the Tumults are sealed and in 1/3 the amount of airspace (WAF). Someday I will try the Tumults ported just for fun.

Brian

Chad Kuypers

Stunt Coordinator
I will say I actually like the Tumults more than the 1803, although the single 1803 had more output with 1000 watts than the pair of Tumults with 2200 watts.
Yes, without any limitation on enclosure size the 1803 is the SPL king. However, I have actually built a couple of sealed enclosures for it. It really sounds incredible sealed. You should hear it in a 3.5 cubic foot sealed enclosure with a bit of EQ. You might be surprised. I know I was. :) Anyhow, I am glad to hear that you are happy with your Tumults.

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
UPDATE: One of my 2 AV12s has arrived (don't ask me why I got just one) and I put it in my 70L test box yesterday. Even sealed as it sits in my bedroom it is overkill. I'm running it on one channel of a ~50 watt amp which can't even move it safely to xmax in free air. What was interesting was that it actually sounds best without a box! In free air on axis it sounds very natural and without any box damping I like the way it responds to transients, only problem is there is very little output.

I will now try out:
1. some small sealed boxes 28-70L
2. 70L vented with a 4" flared tube
3. 140L EBS (which I doubt I will use in the end, but just to see what it is like)
4. open baffle dipole

I have to say I was impressed with the construction quality of this driver, it does look very impressive. I created a 3D CAD model from the photos of it and I really did underestimate how solid it was!

When I have done some more, I will post it on my website and let you guys know, there will be a lot of experimentation and I also hope to get it measured and have simulations, subjective conclusions and measurements all collated on my site.

Images coming soon :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks