What's new

Show off your sub!!! (1 Viewer)

John_MackieBass

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,

The resonant engineering XXX 18" is much like the Adire Audio Brahma, except bigger!! http://www.turbomustangs.com/forums/images/smilies/rock.gif

I've been posting the build up kinda step by step on Soundillusions.net (where I picked the XXX up)...I'm sirsloop on that forum. Heres the working link to the Project XXX thread.

http://forum.soundillusions.net/showthread.php?t=28471

If you guys want to just see pictures of the build up you can visit my site at http://www.87gt.com/XXX . I should have the driver installed tomorrow and playing. I need to finish up the top of the box, paint it, and install some t-nuts.

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Paul,

The PE amp and SAE1204 will be put into a new sealed sub for music that will run with a pair of Dennis Murphy's MBOW1's for mains. These will be in my studio at the Eastman School of Music. The administration offices are one floor down, so we'll see how they like the sub! I gaurantee it is the first sub at Eastman!

I liked the SAE1204 and think it's a very good value. I do, however, notice an obvious improvement in sound quality with the step up to the av12.

Wes

John_MackieBass

Stunt Coordinator
Lol...the whole idea behind this project was basically brute everything. I dont have the tools or the desire to build up a pretty enclosure for this thing. Its going to play some CRAZY bass, and hopefully flat once I get a BFD plugged in before the mackie. When its party time, this thing will put out a STUPID amount of output. Its basically a party in a box and plays deep bass for HT. The great thing about overkill subs is that whether you want you want it to be ridiculously loud or you want to pull it back a few degrees it just takes a twist on the gains to get you there :)

Ive seen prettier, but not too many badder :wink:

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Here's my Shiva before:

And after a remodel:

I needed something a bit smaller so I dropped down from a 101.5L enclosure to a downfiring 88.5L enclosure. I still get more bass than I need out of it. I've got it powered by a 130 Watt ApexJr plate amp.

The picture doesn't do it justice... someday I'll invest in a digital camera.

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Oops... almost forgot my "el-cheapo" 8" MCM sub in a lovely stealth black:

Link Removed

This one only cost me around a total of $100 amp and all! The enclosure is about 1.5 cuft... ported out the rear. I have to look up the specs in my notes, but it really does quite well!

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Paul,

The mains are Acoustic Research HiRes AR9's (M-T-M) Dual
Magnesium 5.25 Mid's and a 1" Titanium Dome and a single
Bass Reflex 10" Sub (Per cabinet). I don't run the 10's
since I threw the AV12 together.. It's just my temporary
fill in sub..

I am going with dual stereo sealed AV15's when my new mains
are done.

John_MackieBass

Stunt Coordinator
OMG...I just got my 18" RE XXX running. This thing plays 20hz like its nobodys business! 15hz-30hz sweeps are almost unbearable! *EVERYTHING* shakes. It doesnt rattle...it SHAKES.

Mission: Create an insane HT sub

Darren_T

Second Unit
I am going with dual stereo sealed AV15's when my new mains
are done.
Hey Brett, I was wondering what you have to go through to get stereo subs to work without cancellation. I'm building a single AV15 currently and would love to run stereo subs but I'm afraid it might be a bit tough to avoid cancellation issues.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
How can I post a pic directly to this page? I have a few pics in my link on top but there not very good ones, they were taken with a 35mm camera. I now have a digital & a card reader on my computer but I have no clue how to link them to a web page or anything.

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Joe, to put an image on this it actually have to be on the web already - you press "IMG" button and then you will have to link it to your image on a website.

cheers,
Paul

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Paul, I don't know if I done it right but I sent you an email with a pic attached. I have no idea how to link to the web page. But if you wouldn't mind hosting them I can send you a few good shots of it.
I have a 220liter sono tuned to 17hz using a 15"Dayton DVC & pe plate amp. The sono has been finished in oak veneer & I used a little different than usual design for the end caps.

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Joe, it works fine, I received your pic. You can send me more as well as a description if you wish:
http://www.geocities.com/etude316/audio/DIYsubs.htm

Here's a recent sub that I have put online:
http://www.geocities.com/etude316/au.../DIYsubs07.htm
(It's darrens sub)

Darren:
As I understand, it is actually easier to place stereo subs in a room. I plan to do this shortly myself with a pair of AV12's. I think it is supposed to smooth out in-room response. I will start with mine placed next to my main speakers.

You may find this useful:
http://members.ozemail.com.au/~joera...user_setup.htm

quote:
May I make this point again, that too Subs are better than one. At the frequencies that Subs operate and located as shown below, the quarter wave-length is much larger than the spread between the Subs. The effect is that they act as a Line Source. Also for the same reason there is an addition +3dB Acoustic Boost, which improves headroom and lowers distortion for any given SPL level.

cheers,
Paul

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
Brett,

I really like your AV12 subwoofer.Are their any links to show how you built your subwoofer? Because I'm thinking of doing the exact same thing.

Regards

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Vince,

Lots of pictures...

http://www.westol.com/~brettd/temp/mysub/

Please Note that this was just built on a whim because I
grew tired of my poor AV-12 sitting in it's shipping box in
my computer room. My plan was to do dual AV-12's when my
Line Array's were done.. Well I decided to go with dual
AV-15's with the Line Array's (I will probably need them
just to match the output of the LA's :)

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
I'd be very interested to see the result of your line arrays and subs :emoji_thumbsup:

Actually I'm thinking of extending my site to include some other projects (apart from subs):
*line arrays
*dipole
*TL
*horn
*fullrange

following a similar format

Vaughan Odendaal

Second Unit
Brett, thank you very much.I'm just a newbie, but I would love to start building subwoofers.I have an AV12 driver in my car, and its fantastic.I'm just starting out, so there is much for me to learn.

BTW, Brett are there any construction details?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks