What's new

Show off your sub!!! (1 Viewer)

Eric Eash

Second Unit
okay, close your eyes and imagine my 500L dual AV15 enclosure, with a slotted port and gloss black finish. it's just a few months down the road. waiting on backordered AV15's. unfortunately, i'm thinking about making it downfiring, but i'll be sure to take some bottom pics once completed.

eric

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Stryke Audio AV12 in a 1 Cube sealed enclosure fed by a
ARS-500 Carver Sunfire TDC plate amp (500 watts RMS) plugged
into my nearby 220 line :)

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Jeff,

Had a look at your AV15, nice pics. If you'd like to add a bit of basic info like amp used, size, cost etc I can put it up on my site. LspCAD stuff would be good, but what would be best is description etc. I may in fact use one program to show a basic simulation of each sub that I put up on my site.

cheers,
Paul

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Darren,

Nice work!!! Some very good woodworking ;)

I will put a link on my site.

To all you guys who already have a site:

What I'd like to do is put a whole lot of subs on my site in a reasonably concise but consistent format, both for general interest with DIY audio nuts, but in particular for those who are contemplating a project. They will look at a gallery of subs, which will include info many sites don't include - how heavy is it? what is the cost? Too often people get caught on one particular advantage a driver has without considering the whole system - I want to paint an overall picture, and with people who already have their sub online I could put up just a few pics and info in a concise format - then if they want to see a lot of detailed construction pics and descriptions, they can follow a link to that person's site.

cheers,
Paul

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Russel,

Nice pic! Looks like your setup has a nice atmosphere :)
I will put a link in.

If you want to give a few more details,
I can put them up as well

cheers
Paul

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Chris,

Very impressive work! I have seen your frustum sub quite some time ago. There's nothing quite like nice angles and curves ;)

definately will add a link

cheers,
Paul

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
George,

that's a slightly different look for a shiva sub ... what are the different slots?

cheers,
Paul

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Thomas,

it would be good to get some IB subs up on my site as well. would be good to show things like how you chose your drivers, what amp you used and how much power is required. Also some tips on construction - did you have problems with the walls rattling and if so were you able to fix it?

cheers,

Paul

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Owen,

you have a lot of good and useful pics on your site, especially for a first time DIY sub builder - its easier to show how to brace when you have an image. It would be good to get a concise version of your sub on my site with critical details & info

cheers

Paul

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
John_MackieBass

is that a PA driver? ... I'd definately like to get some diversity on my site, including using PA drivers

I tried the link but no success :frowning:

forum.soundillusions.net/showthread.php?t=28471

love to hear about it when you are done

cheers,
Paul

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Tim,

Nice pics, had a look at your other images as well
The raised platform is a nice touch ;)

Shiva TL is also interesting
how much power does it need?

If you'd like to share some details / basic info on them that would be great ;)

cheers
Paul

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Eric,

I have one thing to say to you:

DON'T DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AV15 downfiring?

NO! STOP! DON't!!!!

It is a sin, maybe even an unforgiveable one

Look forward to seeing it, it will have to be impressive

cheers,
Paul

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Brett,

nice looking sub ... curious - what are the main speakers?
I have 2 pics from your site and will put in the details

cheers,
Paul

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Hi all,

This link shows what info I'm looking for with subs posted on my site:

Click here to see what info I'm looking for

Images are great and the response so far has been very good. What I still need is a little more info that will be useful to others in making their own subs. I want it to be a resource. Say you want to build a sealed 2 cu ft AV12 - how much will it cost, how much power will you need? People will hopefully get to see a sub that is like what they want to build.

Feel free to shoot me an email with images, text, links

cheers,

Paul

Jeff Meininger

Second Unit
Patrick: yeah, the sub makes a good perch for the cat. She's already lost interest in going up there, though, which is fine with me. I'm not letting her onto the main speakers anymore after this happened...

D'oh!!!! These are buyout woofers from parts express that cannot easily be replaced. I bought 2 extra in case I ever wanted to go to a 7.1 setup. I had to dip into that reserve to replace this damaged woofer, so I'll stick with 5.1 for quite some time. :) She also has a bad habit of putting her paw on the face of the speakers when she's going to jump down from them. One time she put her paw right smack on a tweeter dome. Bad kitty!!! She's been good lately at staying off of them, but I still sometimes wonder if speaker grills might not be an excellent weekend project.

Ben LG: It's actually the home theater setup in addition to stereo listening setup. And it HAS to be neat because it's also the living room. :)

Paul Spencer: The amp used is the rythmik audio A350-TL072 380W plate amp. I love the amp's features and power, but man alive does it make a nasty sound when it clips. Yikes!! The parts express 250W plate amp that my folks use with their AV15 (same alignment) doesn't do that, but also obviously doesn't push the cone as far. Since the PE clips earlier and without drama, it's probably more dangerous since it's not immediately obvious that you're clipping it.

The size? It's 20" diameter sonotube. The sub is just a bit taller than I am, and I'm like 5' 6" or something. The cost? Hrmmm... probably about $500 or so. It is built with construction materials and techniques very similar to those that are so well documented at Patrick Sun's site.

I covered it with "ribbing material" which is a stretchy tube of fabric that they make the collar on T-shirts out of. A bit bigger diameter than the T-shirt collar, but you get the idea. I painted this sub with a brush, which is not nearly as nice as the spraypaint finish on my previous sub, but was also much cheaper and easier.

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Paul,

I took a peek at the sub photos on your site. Who ever built this one sure has an eye for design.

This thing is a work of art, simple and clean! Very nicely done! Looks like my expensive bedroom furniture.

(hope you don't mind me linking a photo here for others to see it. Let me know and I'll delete this post if you do mind.)

Here is my overly photographed build of 2 generic 122L sealed Tempests. Ridiculous amount of photos form my dual Tempest Build.

I still have not added the veneer to mine but I do know how I am going to finish it now! ;)

The guy I built the other sub for finished his with wooden tiles.

Ronnie

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
its ok ronnie, I didn't think you would get to that thing yet, not sure how you found it as I haven't been setting up links yet!!!

Wes Nance

Stunt Coordinator
Here's the link to the page about my sub:

As shown it has a PE250 watt amp and a Stryke SAE1204 driver with 2 Stryke PR's weighted to 1300g each.

Now it has a Rythmik 350 watt amp and a Stryke AV12 driver, and the PR veneer laminates are black now- I liked the look of the black better. I'll have to get some new pics. . .

It's tuned to about 20 hz or so, and sounds very good. My total cost was $150 for the amp, $160 for driver, and probably $100 or so for wood, veneer, etc. It is used primarily for HT. I've been very pleased with the sound of the PR design.

AV12 PR sub

Wes

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
great ... what did u do with the SAE driver? I've been wanting to see some more of these on the net, they seem like excellent value

the idea of putting black on the Pr's is a nice idea, I have seen one with a mirrored black look, very impressive!!!

it would be great to see some AV12 subs get up

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks