What's new

Shout! Factory's 2011 DVD Line-Up (Tentative) (1 Viewer)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Emailed/messaged the Amazon.com Marketplace seller:

When you were first selling the Shout! Select (Region 1) DVD release of Simon & Simon: Season Five, international shipping was available. Are you now only shipping within the United States?

and their reply:

International ordering should still be available on this item. We will check right away to make sure the option is available. Thanks for your interest!

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
International shipping is now available for Streets and Angel in Red on Amazon.com.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Really liked The Nickel Ride. Odd Savant didn't pick up that it's slang for an old amusement park's more popular attraction - it would morph into E-Ticket Ride which doesn't make sense since DIsney no longer passes out tickets and E-Ticket now means electronic ticket.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Corey3rd said:
Really liked The Nickel Ride. Odd Savant didn't pick up that it's slang for an old amusement park's more popular attraction - it would morph into E-Ticket Ride which doesn't make sense since DIsney no longer passes out tickets and E-Ticket now means electronic ticket.
I always thought it meant doing a five year stretch in prison - i.e., "Aaah! The po-po! I can't do another nickel ride!"

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I enjoyed NICKEL RIDE but I'm having a hard time liking 99 and..., the other movie. I don't know what to make of it - one of the weirdest movies I've ever seen. It feels like a spoof of mob movies but not really, ya know? I've got a lot of movies waiting to be watched so this one might end up on the back burner for a good while.

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
After the opening credits 99 is pretty much unwatchable, almost intentionally so. Put it aside without a further thought; I'm sure Richard Harris did.

Jon Hertzberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jonathan
Bob Cashill said:
After the opening credits 99 is pretty much unwatchable, almost intentionally so. Put it aside without a further thought; I'm sure Richard Harris did.
I saw 99 AND 44/100% DEAD on 35mm a couple years back so that made it easier to make it through this very uneven, unfocused picture. Agreed about the impressive opening credits, and I will add that the lounge-heavy score by Mancini and the pop art design and cinematography are worthwhile elements as well. Richard Harris seems to be channeling Michael Caine, at least in looks, which I continually get a kick out of when thinking of this film.

ShowsOn

Second Unit
Real Name
Simon Howson
Just watched The Nickel Ride and really liked it. Really beautiful 70s Panavision cinematography full of under exposure, and probably forced development.
It is the kind of film that is hard to translate to DVD, but the disc does a good job of the picture. Sadly the audio occasionally features clicks and pops, which you would've thought would be easy to fix even with a very basic digital restoration.
This is a good film that Fox should've released themselves half a dozen years ago.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Streets and Angel in Red both have a trailer on the Shout disc (on the rear boxart it instead says "New World Trailers"). No audio commentary for Streets though.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Yes, for reasons unknown to me, the commentary track I recorded with Katt Shea for STREETS was dropped from the release. I'm sure there were logical business reasons for this decision, so I don't want anyone to raise a fuss or give Cliff trouble; he has done wonders with this Corman line in the middle of a tough time for genre DVD releases.
I will admit that it does hurt a little that I didn't make the cut. :(

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Not too disappointed that the Streets audio commentary wasn't on the disc, especially when it was a Shout! Select title (although the Simon & Simon: Season Five release did have an extra on it, the reunion TV movie). Shout are one of a few DVD/Blu-ray studio/distributors who put the effort into their releases.

BuckarooBanzai

Auditioning
Real Name
Guy
Most likely it is Chuck Berry's "Too Much Monkey Business" performed by Reed as an instrumental in WW. Berry also caused problems on the "Elvis On Tour" blu ray release and the opening of Elvis performing "Johnny B. Goode" had to be changed!

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
^ mine is definitely TerrorVision. Only negative, no Garret Graham interview or commentary. But the rest is excellent for a movie like this one. Now...Video Dead, included, was one awful film. Not in a campy fun way, just bad.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Peter M Fitzgerald said:
Susan Hart Hofheinz, former starlet and widow of AIP co-honcho James Nicholson, controls the rights to IT CONQUERED THE WORLD, as well as THE AMAZING COLOSSAL MAN, I WAS A TEENAGE WEREWOLF, I WAS A TEENAGE FRANKENSTEIN, INVASION OF THE SAUCER MEN and TERROR FROM THE YEAR 5000 (plus a few non-sci-fi/horror AIP titles from the 1950s).She should really cut a reasonable deal with Shout Factory, for both normal DVD releases of these films and the MYSTERY SCIENCE THEATER 3000 episodes that were built around most of them, as she would have a very hard time profiting from them these days, otherwise. At this point, Shout Factory is her best (and perhaps only) shot... and the gravy train is leaving the station.
In my comment above I was referring to this post from Jan. 2011. Over 3 years later and no deal on these films .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks