What's new

Shout! Factory's 2011 DVD Line-Up (Tentative) (1 Viewer)

cliff mac

Insider
Jeffrey:K said:
Is W.W. and the Dixie Dancekings still in the works?

No, sadly.We couldn't clear one song... and it could not be cut out because it's performed in the film by Jerry Reed.This artist is notorious for not allowing his music to be used.So, I doubt this film will ever be released.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by cliff mac /t/305588/shout-factory-s-2011-dvd-line-up-tentative/690#post_3843518
11/15 - available only on the Shout Factory website
Thanks Cliff.

Shame about W.W. Dixie and the Dancekings.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
cliff mac said:
No, sadly.
We couldn't clear one song... and it could not be cut out because it's performed in the film by Jerry Reed.
This artist is notorious for not allowing his music to be used.
So, I doubt this film will ever be released.
It's funny how those things work. It's no surprise that the Smokey and the Bandit films have East Bound and Down in them, as hits those would have the budget to pay for it, but I also think that Sony's recent MOD of Hot Stuff has the late Mr. Reed singing the title tune. Then again, the Jerry Reed episode was one of those missing from WHV's release of The New Scooby Doo Movies where Jerry and Scooby are heard singing When You're Hot You're Hot. I wonder what the determining factor is?

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
This music rights thing is so insane. Producers should work music rights into all distribution contracts and just pay these people a one-time fee. If musicians have a problem with it they can take a hike. After all, people don't go to see a movie or buy a DVD because of the music in it.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
elDomenechHTF said:
and just pay these people a one-time fee. If musicians have a problem with it they can take a hike. After all, people don't go to see a movie or buy a DVD because of the music in it.
Don't they? Don't you think the Bee Gees songs had an impact in making Saturday Night Fever a big hit? If the Bee Gees had, for whatever reason, refused to allow their music to be used for the Saturday Night Fever DVD, don't you think most people would simply refuse to purchase it? I know that some people refused to purchase the DVD of Love At First Bite because the Alicia Bridges' song I Love The Night Life had been replaced and the song was used effectively in one of the film's most memorable moments. That scene just isn't the same without the song.
While it's sad when artists are unreasonable in their demands, it's their voice, their music and they have every right to profit from their work. I think it's sad when someone like Mickey Rooney doesn't make a dime on all his movies from the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s etc that were pre-residuals.
http://www.thecinemascopecat.blogspot.com

Jeffrey:K

Second Unit
Originally Posted by cliff mac /t/305588/shout-factory-s-2011-dvd-line-up-tentative/690#post_3843519
No, sadly.
We couldn't clear one song... and it could not be cut out because it's performed in the film by Jerry Reed.
This artist is notorious for not allowing his music to be used.
So, I doubt this film will ever be released.
Are you at liberty to tell us which song is the problem?

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by Thomas T /t/305588/shout-factory-s-2011-dvd-line-up-tentative/690#post_3843714
Don't they? Don't you think the Bee Gees songs had an impact in making Saturday Night Fever a big hit? If the Bee Gees had, for whatever reason, refused to allow their music to be used for the Saturday Night Fever DVD, don't you think most people would simply refuse to purchase it? I know that some people refused to purchase the DVD of Love At First Bite because the Alicia Bridges' song I Love The Night Life had been replaced and the song was used effectively in one of the film's most memorable moments. That scene just isn't the same without the song.
While it's sad when artists are unreasonable in their demands, it's their voice, their music and they have every right to profit from their work. I think it's sad when someone like Mickey Rooney doesn't make a dime on all his movies from the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s etc that were pre-residuals.
You are so right about LOVE AT FIRST BITE. The entire scene where it is played in the background at the night club was made with that song. Now the scene has not momentum. Above posts seem to think it is Jerry Reed's estate causing the problem, but it might not be him but the author of the song.

Everyone are due their residuals, but there needs to be some sanity in all this. We will never seen China Beach on DVD due to all the song rights issues. I applaud some studios like Warner and Universal in trying to get rights issues cleared up. Universal did a great job on the American Graffiti and More American Graffiti films. I understand back in the VHS and DVD days those rights were a tussle.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
My "Holy Grail" for films not yet released due to music rights problems is Looking For Mr. Goodbar but I fear it will never see the light of day on any DVD format in my lifetime. I do have the laser disc but it's not wide screen and could use a cleaner transfer.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Regarding Streets and Angel in Red being available to buy on Shout's website, will it be the same as with Simon & Simon: Season Five (also available to buy on Amazon.com)?

cliff mac

Insider
WaveCrest said:
Regarding Streets and Angel in Red being available to buy on Shout's website, will it be the same as with Simon & Simon: Season Five (also available to buy on Amazon.com)?
yes, there will be a listing on Amazon

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Cliff,
Thank you for all of your updates regarding Shout! Factory releases. I have already pre-ordered The Adventures of Tintin: Season One that is coming out on November 22nd (and a hearty thank you to the company for releasing this wonderful animated series of adaptations of the orginal Herge stories!); do you have any information on the release dates for Seasons Two and Three?
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Darby

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Cliff, has the theatrical trailer for Visiting Hours been dropped from Shout's double feature release of Bad Dreams and Visiting Hours? It's been listed on Amazon.com's listing page and in the HTF announcement thread for this title, but yesterday I read in a Rock! Shock! Pop! DVD review that the theatrical trailer is missing.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
isn't there a law preventing someone from holding up the release of a Burt Reynolds' movie? To deny the glory of Burt is treason against entertainment.

cliff mac

Insider
WaveCrest said:
Cliff, has the theatrical trailer for Visiting Hours been dropped from Shout's double feature release of Bad Dreams and Visiting Hours? It's been listed on Amazon.com's listing page and in the HTF announcement thread for this title, but yesterday I read in a Rock! Shock! Pop! DVD review that the theatrical trailer is missing.
There doesn't apprear to be one. We thought we had found it (when the cover went to print), but it was in fact the TV spots.

cliff mac

Insider
Darby67 said:
Cliff,
Thank you for all of your updates regarding Shout! Factory releases. I have already pre-ordered The Adventures of Tintin: Season One that is coming out on November 22nd (and a hearty thank you to the company for releasing this wonderful animated series of adaptations of the orginal Herge stories!); do you have any information on the release dates for Seasons Two and Three?
Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Darby
they will all get released in 2012

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by cliff mac /t/305588/shout-factory-s-2011-dvd-line-up-tentative/720#post_3844280
There doesn't apprear to be one. We thought we had found it (when the cover went to print), but it was in fact the TV spots.
Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense what you've said.

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
cliff mac said:
they will all get released in 2012
Cliff:
Thank you so much for the confirmation and thanks again to Shout! Factory for releasing the complete Adventures of Tintin series on DVD!
Darby

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks