What's new

Shout! Factory: Why the different lease patterns? (1 Viewer)

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
I just don't get this. I mean, for example: Shout! licensed the entire runs of Ironside, McHale's Navy and Marcus Welby from NBC/Universal. Yet they only licensed seasons 1-4 of Rhoda from Fox and seasons 4 and 5 of The Facts of Life from Sony. What's up with that may I ask? And no, I am not starting an I HATE SHOUT FACTORY bandwagon. Don't say that, don't even imply that.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Maybe the studios only let them have those seasons?

Their relationship with Sony I don't get. Some shows they can get whole series of in one fell swoop, others it's hand-to-mouth.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
vnisanian2001 said:
And no, I am not starting an I HATE SHOUT FACTORY bandwagon. Don't say that, don't even imply that.
Just because you've been critical of Shout before doesn't mean that you can't ask a fair question about their operation. However, your posts don't exist in a vacuum. It's not fair to complain about Shout in multiple threads and then act like anyone that might point that out is persecuting you.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
That was meant to be in reference to what ToddR2 said to me another thread. He said that I was having an I HATE SHOUT FACTORY bandwagon and that he wouldn't jump on it, when I never said such a thing, I never implied such a thing. I was just offering my opinion on a particular situation. It had nothing to do with me hating on Shout! Factory or not.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hey What about Peyton Place??? We were told sales were good. Brian Ward made many statements but everyone forgets what Cliff Mac said here in this forum that it did not sell well for Shout. Brian in the end did say they were not willing to pay more the same or LESS for PP. The less part has always been the key word for me. Less is what i think Shout wanted to pay. Hey my opinion and not a statement of fact let me make that clear. I end with a thankyou to Shout for even doing Peyton Place.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
For me, my thought as to why some of the lease patterns are different depending on the show, is that they feel that some of the older shows have the potential of doing better than others. And yes, that's one thing I don't get about Peyton Place. It said on the What's the hold-up FAQ that the first two volumes sold well enough.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Nice try Travis, but I didn't think that it would work.:eek:

cliff mac

Insider
vnisanian2001 said:
I just don't get this. I mean, for example: Shout! licensed the entire runs of Ironside, McHale's Navy and Marcus Welby from NBC/Universal. Yet they only licensed seasons 1-4 of Rhoda from Fox and seasons 4 and 5 of The Facts of Life from Sony. What's up with that may I ask? And no, I am not starting an I HATE SHOUT FACTORY bandwagon. Don't say that, don't even imply that.
We do not have all the seasons of IRONSIDE. We are done with the series unless we pay more to acquire the later seasons and we are still analyzing the series to see if we can make the numbers work. Fox made the choice to only license us some seasons. On FACTS, we picked only two seasons in case they didn't sell. Remember Sony gave up on the show due to poor sales. They did ok for us. MARCUS WELBY has not performed well hence no season 3

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Peyton Place Mr. Mac has no music rights and was not restored. Brian told us the series did sell and we are getting conflicting arguemnts here. I wonder if for Peyton Place fans you could give us an answer.

cliff mac

Insider
Mark Collins said:
Peyton Place Mr. Mac has no music rights and was not restored. Brian told us the series did sell and we are getting conflicting arguemnts here. I wonder if for Peyton Place fans you could give us an answer.
Yes, it didn't have music issues, but It didn't sell well enough. We know there is a fan base, but we found out it wasn't big enough to support another release at the same licensing fee as the first two sets. We made a smaller offer to Fox and it wasn't accepted. You'll need to petition Fox for a release of more episodes.... at least they could put it up digitally somewhere.

ToddR2

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Todd Rutherford
Cliff Mac, thank you for your information re: these shows. I have no doubt there will be many diasppointed by the info you've shared, but I, for one, am grateful for the clarification about several shows.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
I blame the neverending economic meltdown for all of this. This wouldn't have been the case if the economy didn't got astray. Just about all of those shows Cliff mentioned would have been strong sellers had it not been for that.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Just wanted to say "thank you" to Cliff for the updates and his willingness to interact with HTF so regularly.

Yes, the Ironside news is disappointing but I certainly don't expect Shout to release these out of charity. Best wishes for continued success to the great team at Shout.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Yes for all of us who enjoy 20th Century Fox Program's it is a bad night. I have received the news on Peyton Place tonight as just very poor judgement on the part of FOX Studios. We all know that i have always come to the defense of Fox. I just cannot sit here tonight and do that. Shout! Factory was our one and only shot for Peyton Place. The rest of the Fox shows might be taken over by Acorn Media. I posted that Acorn was very interested in getting the rights to some of the Fox shows. So to the fans of the other programs do not give up hope yet.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Hi Vahan I posted it on the Peyton/Dallas or Peyton Place/Shout thread. Acorn emailed me that they were right in the middle of looking for rights to TV shows owned by Fox. I asked the same question you did. The programs would be for the US too. The email even stated they would ask about Peyton Place because it was and is popular in the UK.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Let me take a moment to note again how Fox appeared to pull the same stunt on VCI with "Burke's Law" which IMO is the one stalled Fox title more than any other that needs to be picked up and finished at long last! (in terms of titles previously licensed to another company that are now stalled)

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Jack P said:
Let me take a moment to note again how Fox appeared to pull the same stunt on VCI with "Burke's Law" which IMO is the one stalled Fox title more than any other that needs to be picked up and finished at long last! (in terms of titles previously licensed to another company that are now stalled)
It wouldn't hurt to keep constantly bugging Fox to death. Maybe then that will snap them back into reality. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks