What's new

Shout! Factory TV Shows Thread (1 Viewer)

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Updated list of some of the forthcoming Shout! Factory TV DVD sets, from this month through to May (source: Amazon.com with the exception of Simon & Simon: Season Six (source: Shout! Select website page and TVShowsOnDVD):

February 2012:

Hazel: The Complete Second Season - Tuesday 21st February
Here Come the Brides: The Complete Second Season - Tuesday 28th February
Simon & Simon: Season Six (Shout! Select title) - Tuesday 21st February

March 2012:

The Adventures of Tintin: Season Two - Tuesday 20th March
Kojak: Season Three - Tuesday 20th March
Mystery Science Theatre 3000: XXIII - Tuesday 27th March

April 2012:

Adam-12: The Final Season (Season Seven) - Tuesday 10th April.

Designing Women: The Complete Sixth Season - Tuesday 3rd April

May 2012:

Fantasy Island: The Complete Second Season - Tuesday 8th May
Hazel: The Complete Third Season - Tuesday 15th May
Kojak: Season Four - Tuesday 1st May
Route 66: The Complete Series - Tuesday 22nd May
S.W.A.T.: The Final Season (Season 2) - Tuesday 22nd May.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
The sad thing is that there is only one b/w show in that Feb - May listing, and only three pre-70's shows in total (Here Come the Brides barely sneaks in as a 60's show). Not a good sign for a fan like myself.

On top of that, I'm undecided on what to do with the Route 66 set since I've already bought 3 seasons worth. Hazel is nice enough, but I honestly don't know how far I'll go with that series. And Here Come the Brides has only a modest interest for me (but I am glad for one of my good friends who has wanted that one for a long time now).

Gary "outside the three 60's shows Shout won't be getting any of my money - a big drop off from the last several years" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If Shout would just get back to "Ironside" and let "Marcus Welby" get one crack as a Select title, I'd have no complaints about them at this point.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
Not an Adam-12 fan, Gary?
The last seasons of Adam-12 still feel like the earlier ones that aired in the 60's to me. So it's an honorary 1960's release for me. :)
After Universal killed off the 1960's Dragnet, Adam-12, and nearly killed off Emergency after season 1 until it was rescued at the last minute years ago, I never thought we'd get to this day where all three were out in their entirety on DVD.
Shout needs to license the 1950's Dragnet now. So much better than the revival and probably the last Jack Webb television material, along with 77 Sunset Strip, with any sort of a chance, however slim, of a proper DVD release (Although there are several other nice Mark VII shows that just never had a chance due to timeslots with hugely popular shows airing opposite of them that have zero chance of being released or even aired again somewhere).

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
If "Project UFO" had been a Universal title, I think we would have seen it by now. Unfortunately, that was produced after Webb ended his association with Universal and ended with Worldvision and is now under CBS/Paramount control.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Wouldn't worry too much at the moment about the second season of Police Story, judging by a post by Brian Ward in a Shout! Community forum thread in early December last year (bit more breathing room to get a few more copies of the first season set sold). However, I may start to worry if nothing happens by this autumn.

Regarding the February-May titles list above, Simon & Simon: S6 and Adam-12: Season 7 are must buys, and S.W.A.T.: Season 2 is a nearly must buy. Haven't decided yet about Kojak: Seasons 3 & 4 (and the Movies Collection set).

Only question about the S.W.A.T.: Season 2 set, is whether the feature length pilot which aired as an episode of The Rookies will be included as a bonus feature in the set.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
A Shout title for June and some of Shout's TV titles for July (source: Amazon.com and TVShowsOnDVD):

June 2012:

Law & Order: Criminal Intent: The Seventh Year - Tuesday 26th June

July 2012:

Designing Women: The Final Season (Season Seven) - Tuesday 17th July
Diff'rent Strokes: The Complete Third Season - Tuesday 17th July
Mystery Science Theater 3000: XXIV - Tuesday 31st July

August 2012:

The Adventures of Tintin: Season Three - Tuesday 21st August
The Rookies: The Complete Second Season (including the pilot movie as a DVD extra) - Tuesday 7th August.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I'm sure the final season of "Kojak" will get fast-tracked out before year's end. The sales figures on S2 must have been off the charts for the show to get this kind of fast-tracking as we will have seen four separate releases alone in a span of less than nine months!
"Police Story" I'm betting didn't do so well by contrast. And honestly, going through it as I did, the show is not that good compared to "Kojak" IMO.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Updated post #128, with the addition of Law & Order: Criminal Intent's seventh season. This has come as a surprise (the Shout! Factory logo could be seen though on the spine of the Season 7 set in the first TVShowsOnDVD news article about the seventh season set, even though Shout! Factory weren't mentioned in the worded part of the first news article), so Law & Order: Special Victims Unit might be a Shout title as well.

Going to take a guess at the fifth and final season of Kojak being released in early fall/autumn, around September/October. With the series Police Story, if there's no news by summer, then it might (and this just a guess) become a Shout! Select title, or could revert back to Sony. If Ghost Story/Circle of Fear does well for their MOD program, maybe the second season of Police Story could be released that way?

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
The one thing that's not happened in terms of titles we expected to see from them by this point is S2 of "The Rookies". I almost wonder if the slow sales of "Police Story" made them reassess a deeper commitment to Sony cop show titles?

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
WaveCrest said:
Updated post #128, with the addition of Law & Order: Criminal Intent's seventh season. This has come as a surprise (the Shout! Factory logo could be seen though on the spine of the Season 7 set in the first TVShowsOnDVD news article about the seventh season set, even though Shout! Factory weren't mentioned in the worded part of the first news article), so Law & Order: Special Victims Unit might be a Shout title as well.
I doubt SVU would be a Shout title. All previous seasons have been released, and any further releases would be the current seasons, which I'm sure Universal would release right before the new season begins on NBC each fall. And, I'd think that the single releases of the remaining 10 seasons of Law and Order are already ready to go from Universal thanks to their Complete Series set.
I'd guess the only Law and Order Shout will be releasing is the last 4 Criminal Intent seasons. Besides those four seasons, The only thing not yet released in the US is Exiled, the Law and Order TV movie, but it is available in a legitimate region 0 release. Everything else L&O is already out there in some form.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Updated post #128 with the addition of Shout's third season DVD set of The Adventures of Tintin and the second season DVD set of The Rookies.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Very pleased with what Shout have done with the boxsets for Kojak: Seasons Three and Four, and Police Woman: Season Two, using a plastic DVD case with the six discs inside, instead of having an outer cardboard case with slipcases inside (there's more chance of the outer cardboard case getting dents during delivery) . On the odd occasion though there's a tendency for pieces of broken plastic in the DVD slipcases/DVD cases (this could simply happen during delivery, rather than during production of the sets).

Also, while there is an episode synopsis for all episodes in the Kojak: Season Three and Four sets, there's just a list of the episodes (with original airdates) on the inside of the DVD sleeve in the Police Woman: Season Two set.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I tend to be of more mixed feelings on the plastic cases versus slipcases beacuse too often there is a potential for things to go wrong with broken hubs on the plastic cases and those are not easy to replace. OTOH, slipcases I can replace easy and they also have a little more of a "book" feel to them when storing on the shelf.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
I'm with you, Jack. I can't stand "digipak" type packaging. If it breaks, I can't easily repair it - if at all. I'd much rather have a "dented" slip-case than a broken digipak/plastic tray. BUT what WaveCrest is talking about are the newer "standard" size amaray type cases with pages inside which can hold 6-8 disks. I'd like to find a supplier of those and replace lots of other type packaging with them.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by BobO'Link /t/308539/shout-factory-tv-shows-thread/120#post_3923294
I'm with you, Jack. I can't stand "digipak" type packaging. If it breaks, I can't easily repair it - if at all. I'd much rather have a "dented" slip-case than a broken digipak/plastic tray. BUT what WaveCrest is talking about are the newer "standard" size amaray type cases with pages inside which can hold 6-8 disks. I'd like to find a supplier of those and replace lots of other type packaging with them.

What I would add into this discussion, is that if Amazon (and possibly other DVD/Blu-ray shopping websites) chose better packaging during the packing stage at their warehouses/depots (ie. a cardboard box for boxsets with outer cardboard cases with the slipcases inside), the outer cardboard cases wouldn't get so many dents at the corners and along the edges. I don't mind either style of boxset - outer cardboard case with however many slipcases inside, or a plastic DVD case with the discs inside. Sometimes the DVD distributors switch from the outer cardboard case with slipcases, to the plastic DVD case. The first example which I can think of, was CBS/P's UK branch switching to the plastic DVD case with Seasons 4-7 of Hawaii Five-O. The first two seasons of The Streets of San Francisco on Region 1 were released with outer cardboard cases, compared to the Region 2 UK releases, which had both half volumes compiled in one plastic DVD case.

When there are eight discs in the plastic DVD cases, the first and last discs have been more prone to getting scratches on them as they've been placed on the inside of the two pages (opening the case out and seeing disc 1 on the left hand side and disc 8 on the right hand side. with discs 2-7 on those pieces of plastic discs). However, more recently they've not been getting so many scratches on them.

Regarding the normal plastic DVD cases which would hold one disc in them (this is mostly with film titles), I prefer the Amaray cases and would like to replace some DVD cases with these, as some cases are more prone to getting broken pieces of plastic and holes in the case.

The Kojak: The Movie Collection boxset arrived in the post with broken pieces of plastic. It's just pot luck sometimes - one case will arrive with broken pieces of plastic, and another will arrive intact. Probably going to jinx myself, but fingers crossed the S.W.A.T.: The Final Season (Season Two) set arrives intact with no broken pieces of plastic inside the DVD case.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Updated post #128 with DVD extras info for The Rookies: The Complete Second Season (the pilot movie being included in the set).

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I give them credit for including the missing pilot film. That's enough to justify my getting the set even though I was generally underwhelmed by the series itself when I first sampled it on the S1 release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks