1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Shout! Factory TV Shows Thread

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by WaveCrest, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Neil Brock

Neil Brock Well-Known Member

Well, for anyone who ever watched TV in the 70s and 80s, that's the way almost every show looked on the air in syndication. 16mm prints, whose color faded over time. It was only starting around the mid-80s that syndicators began going back to the original elements and remastering and color correcting shows. That is, syndicators that cared about their back catalogue. Fox was really the only company that didn't do it. Which shows that they sucked even back then. But it had to be shows that the syndicators deemed to have some kind of sale value and unfortunately, not too many Fox shows besides Batman fall into that category.

2. Neil Brock

By the way, the word that I've heard on the Shout/Sony situation is that now that Sony has their burn on demand program up and running, they have lost interest in licensing shows out and feel that it may be better for them to put their shows out themselves. How long before they realize that they suck at it, we'll have to wait and find out.

3. dressedtokill

dressedtokill Active Member

Source? I really hope you're wrong because there's still left 4 seasons of Fantasy Island.

4. Russell G

Russell G Fake Shemp
    Supporter

Russell
    I hope that's not true either or it could become more difficult for them to produce sets like the Steve Martin TV Years and The Incredible Mel Brooks. Those two sets alone should have Shout nominated for greatest company ever.

5. TVonDVDJunkie05

TVonDVDJunkie05 Well-Known Member

Nick
    Looks like WB's success with their Archive program has caught Sony's attention and they want a piece of the action as well. If they do indeed move to MOD then Shout! has a problem as many of the TV series they have released have come from Sony. I would think that current releases (Diff'rent Strokes & Fantasy Island) won't be affected by the shift to MOD, it would be dumb if Sony all of sudden decided to stop sub-licensing these to Shout! especially if they are selling well.

How many shows have they released thus far under this format, Benson (S2), Bridget loves Bernie & Charlies Angels S5 are the only ones I am aware of?! I wonder if they will release the final season of My Two Dads & Parker Lewis Can't Lose or the final two seasons of Mad About You- three shows Shout! Factory abandoned?!

Perhaps some of the following stalled shows might see MOD releases: Archie Bunker's Place, Facts of Life, Hart to Hart, The Jeffersons, Just Shoot Me!, The Nanny, The Flying Nun, Maude, One Day at a Time, Party of Five, Sliver Spoons, TJ Hooker and Who's the Boss?

6. DeWilson

DeWilson Well-Known Member

Denny
    But let's not forget it was the same time they started EDITING the shows for more commercials. So we got nice looking shows, but now edited to 22:30 and 45:00 minutes from 25:00 and 49:00-51:00.

7. Jack P

Jack P Well-Known Member

"Ghost Story/Circle Of Fear" and "Born Free" were also released by Sony in this format.

8. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Well-Known Member

Robert
    Didn't Sony also release a MoD version of Fantasy Island S2 about 6 months after Shout released the pressed version?
    Also, Charlies Angels S5 got pressed versions, if you wanted to re-buy the whole series for 4 discs.

9. TV_Fan

TV_Fan Well-Known Member

Chris H
    Sony also released Starman The Complete Series on MOD.

10. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Well-Known Member

Richard
    It's looking very unlikely now that Shout will continue Police Story and Police Woman as normal Shout titles, unless they release them as Shout! Select titles. Just hoping Sony might release these two titles as MOD releases, if Shout have no plans to release any more seasons.

And keeping fingers crossed that Shout will finish Simon & Simon next year, with the eighth season released as a Shout! Select title (the reunion TV film "In Trouble Again" was included as a bonus feature in the Shout! Select release of the fifth season). Although what is left to be released after that, is a 90-minute Making Of docmentary and some "lost" episodes.

11. Wvdvdguy

Wvdvdguy Active Member

I really really love "Police Story" so I hope more gets released. It was a show that i'd never seen before but really got into. "Police Woman" is great too!

12. HenryDuBrow

HenryDuBrow Well-Known Member

Henry.
    One way or the other, I hope the Sony catalog gets a move on with DVD releases. So many great classic TV titles still to do or continue with, at this point I'll take them as MODs too if that is indeed what is coming. If Warner can do it successfully so can they, some Sony titles are already being distributed via Warner's site.

13. Kasey

Kasey Well-Known Member

Kasey
    I recently received my Bridget Loves Bernie set (as a blind-buy) and while the series itself isn't the greatest, the restoration is perfect for such an obsure show. I hope Sony brings out some more 60s-80s shows this way, because otherwise we won't see them. I still have doubts about the ones with music issues like Maude, One Day, Facts and The Nanny--too bad, because those are the ones I want the most. Perhaps they will release some more Mary Hartman though.

14. Neil Brock

I have a feeling that the reason BLB was remastered was that Sony had prepped it for an announced release years ago, at the same time as Family came out. For whatever reason they withdrew it but I'm sure all of the remastering had already been done. That doesn't mean that they would be willing to put in all of that work on shows which have never been mastered to tape previously.

15. gordoncolt

gordoncolt Active Member

I remember at one time on the forum there was a Shout Rep posting who had insight on future releases.

16. rmw650

rmw650 Well-Known Member

Richard W
    I believe his name was Cliff Mac but haven't heard hair nor hyde of the guy in a while on these boards.

17. WaveCrest

WaveCrest Well-Known Member

Richard
    Some Shout! Factory TV titles being released between January and April (source: Amazon.com, and for the titles listed below being released between February and April, titles and release dates subject to change):

January 2013:
    Simon & Simon: The Final Season (aka Season Eight) - released last Tuesday (15th January) *Shout! Select title*
    February 2013:

The Hardy Boys: Season Three - Tuesday 12th February

March 2013:

Law & Order: Criminal Intent: The Final Year (the 2010 season) - Tuesday 12th March
    Mystery Science Theater 3000: XXVI - Tuesday 26th March
    Quincy, M.E.: Season Five - Tuesday 19th March
    April 2013:
    Route 66: The Complete Fourth Season - Tuesday 2nd April
    and some of the forthcoming Timeless Media Group/Shout! Factory titles (source: Amazon.com. Studio listed as "Shout! Factory/Timeless Media" on each title's Amazon.com listing page, and titles and their release dates are subject to change):
    February 2013:
    The Life and Times of Grizzly Adams: Season Two - Tuesday 19th February
    The Virginian: The Complete Season Seven (Collectable Embossed Tin) - Tuesday 5th February
    West Point: The Television Series - Tuesday 26th February
    March 2013:
    Lee Marvin Presents Lawbreaker: The Complete Television Series - Tuesday 26th March
    Peter Gunn: Season One - Tuesday 5th March
    Wagon Train: The Complete Season Six (Embossed Collectable Tin) - Tuesday 5th March
    April 2013:
    A Haunting: Season 5 - Tuesday 23rd April
    The Restless Gun: The Complete Series - Tuesday 23rd April
    Stoney Burke: The Complete Series - Tuesday 16th April
    Tombstone Territory: Season One - Tuesday 2nd April.
    Some of the discussion threads in the TV on DVD and Blu-ray folder about Timeless Media's titles:
    Timeless Media Group - New Releases
    Timeless New Acquisitions!
    and the Is the b&w era of TV on DVD slowly coming to an end? thread.

18. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    I'm already planning on Season Two of Grizzly Adams. I thought perhaps it could have been restored and/or better sources used, but it's still better than not having it at all!!!

19. Mark Collins

Mark Collins Well-Known Member

Mark
    Like Charles Ellis on another thread I lobby for a complete series release of Peyton Place. Give it to us bare bones with no bonus features and at a rate that the average fan can buy. Why should those who sell boot episodes from the Romance Channel get the money. I should think that Fox might be willing to release the show as they have others.

I just ask that the those who secure the rights to Fox series for Shout take another look at Peyton Place. 50th anniversary limited edition sold from the Shout Select Program might be the route to go.

http://www.emmytvlegends.org/interviews/shows/peyton-place

I also wonder on how Shout is doing on their stalled series list?

Such as R222 Paper Chase etc

Here is the Shout thread for PP if anyone from Shout is interested

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/topic/278325-my-dream-came-true-peyton-place-on-dvd-this-may-from-shout-entertainment/page-31#entry3885573

20. DisneySwan1990

DisneySwan1990 Well-Known Member

Sagalina Hazzan
    Thanks to the Sony/Mill Creek Entertainment partnership deal, all these shows WILL be out of Sony's valut coffins and released to DVD, mark my words. Either this or Sony's Choice On Demand collection.