What's new

Shout! Factory TV Shows Thread (2 Viewers)

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
While I am one of Shout's biggest supporters due to the fact they've really come through with alot of my faves in the last three years or so, it really irks me that I bought every single season of AITF to help see the show to completion on DVD, and NOW they are coming out with a disc of Bonus Material ONLY available to those who waited to buy a Complete Series set. For this reason, I am not a big fan of Complete Series sets because the loyal consumers get shafted almost every time.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
This isn't a criticism of Shout, but the whole thing about complete series set reminded me of the Homicide: Life on the Street mega set. It contained Homicide: The Movie (2000), which as far as I know isn't available on it's own in the present day. It was released on DVD years ago but is now out of print.

Going back on topic, am looking forward to Shout's fifth season set of Kojak. Good to see another series completed.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
This is their chance to redo S7 and encode it properly so it doesn't look like a kinescope. If they don't do that, then forget it.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Jack P said:
This is their chance to redo S7 and encode it properly so it doesn't look like a kinescope. If they don't do that, then forget it.
And if they do re-do the S7 Discs, I'd love to see a trade-in opportunity for people who bought the season when it was released and would like to get a corrected version.

skees53

Agent
Real Name
David
WaveCrest said:
Regarding the last two seasons of Simon & Simon, a complete guess that they could be released sometime later on next year. Ideally both seasons together.
I really hope so, although given how Shout! has done so few "double seasons" on series (aside from ones which had a very low number of episodes in a season), I'm not counting on it. It would be good to get them in one swoop though, as there are only 29 episodes... but that would require 8 discs if Shout does 3-4 episodes per disc (as they've typically done with the series). The funny thing about this series is that I never watched it even ONCE until the first season (from Universal) showed up at Big Lots in their bargain bin a few years ago and I figured it was cheap enough just to pick up, ever since then it has become one of my favorite PI series out there, and I've found myself enjoying it more than some of the more popular series of the era... even more than the more prominent Magnum PI. I'm always anxious for more seasons on DVD, because really, I'm seeing the series for the first time on DVD.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by skees53 /t/308539/shout-factory-tv-shows-thread/180#post_3947281
I really hope so, although given how Shout! has done so few "double seasons" on series (aside from ones which had a very low number of episodes in a season), I'm not counting on it. It would be good to get them in one swoop though, as there are only 29 episodes... but that would require 8 discs if Shout does 3-4 episodes per disc (as they've typically done with the series). The funny thing about this series is that I never watched it even ONCE until the first season (from Universal) showed up at Big Lots in their bargain bin a few years ago and I figured it was cheap enough just to pick up, ever since then it has become one of my favorite PI series out there, and I've found myself enjoying it more than some of the more popular series of the era... even more than the more prominent Magnum PI. I'm always anxious for more seasons on DVD, because really, I'm seeing the series for the first time on DVD.

You've got the maths right with how many discs it would require if Shout were to release the seventh and eighth seasons of Simon & Simon together or separately. There's also to take into consideration (and this isn't a criticism) a 90 minute making of documentary which was shown after the end of the sixth season, and apparently some 'lost' episodes (both were posted about on Shout's Community forum.

Are you interested in any of John Carpenter's horror films? Why I ask, is because in chronological order, inbetween the sixth and seventh seasons of Simon & Simon, Jameson Parker filmed Prince of Darkness (1988).

Can't recall seeing Simon & Simon on TV until I started collecting the series on DVD. Had thought Universal's first season set had been released on Region 2, but not so (just on Region 1).

HELLOLARRY

Agent
Real Name
David
I will actually double dip on AITF. Aside from the problems reported on S7 (which I didn't think were all that bad IMO), there are two cuts that I know of in episodes. In the Season 3 (I think) episode "Archie Sees a Mugging" there is a mafia reference that was cut. When Columbia House released selected episodes back in the 90s, the dialog was intact. Now mind you, I'm only talking about 30 or so seconds of dialog. I ran that episode off on a DVD so I had it complete. Now it could be possible, I'm not a technical person mind you, that that section of tape was too worn or not presentable enough for DVD? Other than that it makes no sense that there were two different versions of it on the shelves as it wasn't cut that way in syndication.
The second episode that had a cut was the Season 7 opener "Archie's Brief Encounter". On the DVD, the episode fades up to Archie in the bathroom. In syndication (and when it originally aired) there was a whole sequence with his co-workers and the waitress which established the story prior to that. For some reason that was missing on the DVD. The other thing is that episode was originally one-hour and yet it is split into two half hours on the DVD (which happened in other instances with one hour episodes. Hopefully that will be restored and Season 7 can be corrected.
Regarding the bonus features - I think it is great they are including the first eps of ABP, Gloria, and even 704 Hauser (how obscure). They DID release the two pilots before but it was in that bloated Norman Lear collection and I believe that is where the other bonus material originates from. It will be nice to have it in the right place.
I know its not Shout! however I saw someone mention the show. I am also glad that seasons 3 and 4 of Streets of San Francisco have been (or in the case of season 4 will be) released. Hopefully season 5 comes out too and that one can be completed.
Finally, I've seen Kojak mentioned in this thread. I'd like your thoughts/input. I don't have any seasons of Kojak but would like to add it to my collection. Do you think it would be wise to wait it out at this point for a complete series box or do you not think they will go that route?

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The fourth season of Diff'rent Strokes is being released by Shout! Factory in November, with a release date of Tuesday 20th November (source: Amazon.com).

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Originally Posted by Randy Korstick /t/308539/shout-factory-tv-shows-thread/180#post_3961657
Thanks Richard and Good News. I wonder if Shout will Continue Silver Spoons.

Didn't Shout! already make an attempt to get Silver Spoons before Sony put out season 1, which was long before the licensing deal began?

skees53

Agent
Real Name
David
MatthewA said:
Didn't Shout! already make an attempt to get Silver Spoons before Sony put out season 1, which was long before the licensing deal began?
In 2005, there were some credible rumors floating around that Sony was planning to release season 1, but shelved it. Once it was shelved, somebody who wasn't connected to Sony (but does have knowledge about the series) said that it was shelved due to poor sales of other series including Diff'rent Strokes and Punky Brewster... which I guess is where the Shout! thing comes into play. I think, though, that the addition of Punky Brewster to that list was probably not something that the studio actually stated and was more speculation.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
skees53 said:
In 2005, there were some credible rumors floating around that Sony was planning to release season 1, but shelved it. Once it was shelved, somebody who wasn't connected to Sony (but does have knowledge about the series) said that it was shelved due to poor sales of other series including Diff'rent Strokes and Punky Brewster... which I guess is where the Shout! thing comes into play. I think, though, that the addition of Punky Brewster to that list was probably not something that the studio actually stated and was more speculation.
But Sony did release Silver Spoons season 1 in June of 2007 and then abandoned it. So I was asking about Shout picking it up starting with season 2 as they have done with many series that Sony abandoned.

skees53

Agent
Real Name
David
Randy Korstick said:
But Sony did release Silver Spoons season 1 in June of 2007 and then abandoned it. So I was asking about Shout picking it up starting with season 2 as they have done with many series that Sony abandoned.
I think we all got some posts crossed and mismatched here, ha, so I should clarify. Sony did release season 1 in 2007. Somebody else posted about Shout! supposedly having plans to release season 1 before ultimately Sony did... I'm not sure if there were any such plans, but the only thing close to that which I was aware of was a rumor that it would be released in 2005 by Sony (which in fact was shelved at the time, but was ultimately released two years later). The message that I posted was in response to Shout!'s pre-2007 plans for Silver Spoons (or lack thereof, whichever is the case). In any event, it would be a perfect release for Shout.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
I asked on Shout's message board some time ago about Silver Spoons and Brian Ward's response was that they would love to release it but it had high music costs associated with it. That plus the low sales on season one makes it extremely unlikely Shout! would ever release it. Best bet would probably be Sony's MOD program but music costs may be too high even for that.

skees53

Agent
Real Name
David
I don't really remember the show having that much music... although there was the Whitney Houston episode (which, of course, had a ton of it). I also remember the song "Broken Wings" being played for a few seconds in one of the fourth or fifth season episodes, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't an original artist recording. But then again, the whole "music costs" issue is very ambiguous for anybody besides the studios producing the DVDs, because even the slightest little things that we don't notice in the episodes may amount to copyrighted work.

TV_Fan

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris H
I also remember an episode with Menudo that I'm pretty sure music was involvded in.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Rookies S2-No pilot film that was promised so yet another botch job from this company.

Wvdvdguy

Agent
Real Name
Jon
I can't knock Shout! much since they released Adam-12, Dragnet,Kojak, & Police Story among others. I am surprised that the Rookies season 2 doesn't contain the pilot!! And I'm pretty late to this forum but is that really the best version Room 222 we can get??

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by rmw650 /t/308539/shout-factory-tv-shows-thread/180#post_3961866
My pleasure Randy...always trying my best to help out the fellow members on here with news and info on stalled series.

Which Richard was Randy replying to in this thread? Not sure which post you were replying to.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I was just sitting here looking over my dvd library, and Shout Factory really has blessed me over the years. They've released so many dvds that line my shelves. Several were holy grail shows, like Leave it to Beaver, Father Knows Best, Dennis the Menace and a Christmas set with a great bonus episode I had wanted for decades. Route 66 wasn't all I had hoped, but at least they saved it from limbo. Then there are others that weren't quite holy grail series for me, but important and enjoyable nonetheless. Shows like McHale's Navy, The Patty Duke Show, Hazel, That Girl, Adam-12, Dragnet, Mister Ed, The Bill Cosby Show, Tales of the Gold Monkey, Underdog, Tennessee Tuxedo, and some neat Ozzie & Harriet dvds. And other sets that I've not purchased but know friends of mine like include Kojak, Fantasy Island, Dark Skies, Barnie Miller, Ernie Kovaks, Here Come the Brides, Peyton Place, and Webster (among others).

When I survey a list like that I don't see how anyone can be down on them, especially considering the fact that they are an independent company and must rely on big studios or estates for just about everything they release. Sure, there are always disappointments with any outfit, but the pluses far outweigh the minuses in my book. It's not even close! So thank you Shout Factory for all you've put out over the years!!

Gary "not sure what the future holds for Shout, but the past has been bright and clear in my book" O.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks