1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Shout Factory Press Release: The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis: The Complete Series

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Apr 15, 2013.

1. LouA

LouA Well-Known Member

Lou Antonicello
    Has anyone gotten any updated info on the bonus features on this set? I'm wondering if Dwayne Hickman or Sheila James will provide commentary tracks .

2. Richard Gallagher

Richard Gallagher Well-Known Member
    Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    The Shout! website lists only these extras:

New InterviewsRadio ShowPromosStill Gallery

They don't identify the interviewees and there is no mention of commentary tracks.

PODER likes this.
  3. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Well-Known Member

Howie
    Import CDs has this on sale for $80.79 and are currently having a 10% off sale (code: SAVE10, ends June 17th @ 5pm PST) for a $77.70 total (after shipping/handling). I'm seriously considering cancelling my Amazon pre-order for this one. I'm in for ~$97 at Amazon unless they drop the price a bit more. I sent in a PM for Import CDs a week or so back but they didn't bite...

4. LouA

LouA Well-Known Member

Lou Antonicello
    Hi Rich, Thanks for the info. It's kind of what I expected. Still, it's great to finally get this show on DVD.

5. Jobla

Jobla Well-Known Member

My copy may arrive as soon as tomorrow.There is reportedly a 17 minute interview with Dwayne Hickman, plus 3 episodes of LOVE THAT BOB that featured Hickman.The Dobie Gillis pilot (which features Yvonne Craig in "bumper scenes") is reportedly included, with Hickman making a pitch for the series also included.The rare episode is included in which Maynard G. Krebs promises to predict the winner of the Nixon-Kennedy election in 1960 (Maynard doesn't actually make a selection). That episode was withdrawn after the 1963 assassination of Kennedy (although it has shown up in a few much later syndication packages).The episodes will run about 26 minutes each, which is full length. I have heard that the episodes (other than the ending credit crawls) have been remastered. I won't know until I see the set, however.

6. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain Well-Known Member

Vahan_Nisanain
    Neil Brock, you can buy the set in peace.

BTW, was this show Fox Televisions' first successful show?

7. borisfw

borisfw Well-Known Member

Frank
    I must have missed when Amazon went under $100 for this set . I'll wait for Amazon to come back down under $100 . I was a Gilligan fan as a kid . So I naturally watched Dobie reruns for Maynard . I ended up really loving the show . frank Faylen was great as Dobie's dad .

8. Gary16

Gary16 Well-Known Member

So far very pleased overall with the Dobie set. The transfers look very good (except for the end credits) although not as sharp and clean as the CBS releases. The Hickman interview is informative -- can't tell if it was done just for this set or if it was done a while ago. The transfers of the "bonus" shows (Bob Cummings and Stu Erwin -- which they misspelled as Irwin on the menu) all look uniformly terrible but that's not why I bought the set.

Gary OS and LouA like this.
  9. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Well-Known Member

Howie
    It actually started out on April 8th at $97.99, jumped to the current price on April 14th, and never went back down. I tried several times to get a PM to importcds.com (which is still under $90 including shipping) but they didn't go for it.

10. Jobla

Jobla Well-Known Member

I locked it in at the 97.99 preorder price. However, I did have to add nearly ten dollars for local state tax.

11. LouA

LouA Well-Known Member

Lou Antonicello
    My copy arrived today , and the episodes I watched on disc 1 look great and seem to be complete. I'm really happy to get this set.

12. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Well-Known Member

Did it have the "Zelda" pilot? Or was that eventually incorporated into an episode of Dobie...never been quite sure about that.

13. Jobla

Jobla Well-Known Member

The only remnant of the ZELDA pilot is in the extras. Reportedly (I haven't checked it myself), the script for the pilot is included in the DVD-ROM supplements that can be viewed via computer.

14. Ethan Riley

Ethan Riley Well-Known Member

Oh...I've heard about it a lot; I didn't realize the film was lost. Bummer!

15. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Well-Known Member

Frank
    I ordered my copy today. I was just thinking how great Dobie was. The characters were well fleshed out, the scripts well written, and the acting top notch. The exact opposite of a show like,,, first thing to come to mind would be something like Mama's Family.

16. Joe Lugoff

Joe Lugoff Well-Known Member

Joe
    The last season of "Dobie Gillis" was surrealistic and totally unfunny to me. But I know you have a need to bash "Mama's Family" all over the Internet. I'm wondering what the reason is, considering there were hundreds of shows much worse.

17. Frank Soyke

Frank Soyke Well-Known Member

Frank
    Just a joke man. Honestly I don't care about the series one way or another. I really am, however, looking forward to Dobie. That much is true. Chatsworth Osborne and his mom are hilarious IMO.

18. JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL Well-Known Member

I haven't seen this since early 2000s, when Urban America ran it (before becoming Telefutura). Great times, you got Dobie, public domain cartoons, and on Saturdays NWA Wildside and reruns of '90s wrestling promotions.

19. Jobla

Jobla Well-Known Member

I've played most of my discs in the set, and they all look fine. Sometimes, Amazon takes stuff down for very simple reasons, such as a "widescreen" label on fullscreen product (such as LAURA). Or perhaps, Amazon's description of special features didn't match the actual specs? I'd certainly be interested in hearing what the problem may be, but the discs have played fine for me.I should add that I haven't yet played most of the supplemental features, so I don't know if there's a problem there or not.

20. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Well-Known Member

Robert
    Amazon's technical specs say the set's aspect ratio is 1.85:1, while everyone knows the series is presented in 1.33:1.

Would they have taken it down because someone complained that the episodes on the box weren't stretched to fit their widescreen?