What's new

Shout Factory Press Release: Route 66: The Complete Series (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Here is the final list of added content:

ROUTE 66: THE COMPLETE SERIES 24-DVD BOX SET BONUS CONTENT:

• Rare 1990 William S. Paley Television Festival panel -- Q&A style feature focusing on Route 66 with the following participants:
    Marion Dougherty (casting director), Arthur Hiller (director), Elliot Silverstein (director), George Maharis (“Buz Murdock”), Herbert B. Leonard(writer/producer)

• Vintage commercials

• SPECIAL “VALUE ADD” DVD - Great Cars: Corvette
Returning from World War II, many soldiers told stories of the loves they’d left behind. or some, it was a mechanical sweetheart — the European sports car. So, the nation was primed for the debut of the 1953 Corvette, a fiberglass two-seater that was the first mass-produced American sports car. The first car was more show than go, but over the years Corvette has evolved from a cute-looking roadster to the menacing Sting Ray, and now to one of the world’s sleekest, sexiest and fastest high-tech sports cars.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter
Yahoo, I'm in for this set. After the awful problems with this DVD release by Roxbury, I'm looking forward to seeing the shows as they should have originally been released. Thanks Shout!

Hollywoodaholic

Edge of Glory?
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If someone on the forum has ordered this direct from Shout for the earlier April 22 release, could they please update us on the image status of the first 15 episodes of Season One? And whether they have been fixed or not. I'm in for the regular release May 22, but have the option to cancel if we hear the image isn't any better than the existing version. Thanks!

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
smithb said:
I will give it a shot, but I'm not an expert. Basically, with film you have a completely independent image per frame. However, to do the same when converted to digital would create a very large file. So compression algorithms are used in an attempt to keep quality while shrinking the file and transmission size (e.g., how many bytes have to be transmitted to produce the video output). That is where the bitrate comes into play. The higher the bitrate the more data is kept per frame and the higher the quality of the image.
A constant bitrate means that the transistion between frames is compressed equally. This negatively effects high motion transitions more then relatively static ones because more information is being changed between scenes, yet they are treated equally. That is where variable bitrates can make an improvement. Without increasing the overall amount of data transmitted or the file size, motions transitions can maintain more data (or be at a higher bitrate) then the more static transitions. Thus, providing a relatively constant quality during viewing (i.e. variable bitrate = more constant quality throughout, constant bitrate = varying quality throughout)
When you encode (compress) video through a computer program, you can usually choose a constant or variable bitrate. If you choose a variable bitrate, the computer usually performs two passes through the video. The first pass is to analyze the amount of transition between scenes so that when it encodes the video on the second pass it can smartly determine how much compression to use between transitions (i.e., the more the change the higher the bitrate used and vice versa). It should not be difficult for a computer to properly analyze how to best vary the bitrate to get the best quality. And it is usually nothing more then a setting within the computer application doing the encoding. I'm not sure how someone "eye balling" the video as it plays can do a better job of determining the best bitrate from scene to scene then a computer, but I could be wrong.
Others can correct me if I misspoke, but I hope that helps in general.
Thank you kindly, Brad for explaining this is in finer detail. This makes a lot more sense. Much appreciated! I apologise for my late response, I've been away from the forum for quite some time due to health reasons and forgot about asking this question. It sounds like any human element has been taken away from the overall process of encoding. I guess the proof with the compression results will be determined when we see the finished product. Would be very interested to hear the views of anyone that receives this set. I believe it was only just released today from Shout! so time will tell.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I second Patrick's praise for your post, Brad, as well as his apology for just discovering it today. This is a thread I haven't been following of late.

I'm glad the (formerly known as) MT&R Paley Fest panel will be included as an extra. I was there that night and remember it being very interesting and informative, though everyone was disappointed that the promised appearance of Milner did not happen. An audience member asked why he wasn't there and Maharis mumbled something about him being busy working on an episode of MACGYVER..

David Com

Agent
My "Route 66" set just arrived from Shout Factory. Took a quick look at a couple of episodes I knew were cut on the first Infinity pressing. Specifically "A Fury Slinging Flame" and "Blue Murder."
They're still cut. In fact, "A Fury Slinging Flame" now carries a slate before the start of the episode that says it was taken from the "best master element available" and that it was edited for syndication.
The first season episodes are the correct aspect ratio, like the second release of Season 1 that Infinity put out after their original 16:9 fiasco. The image quality is pretty much on par with the Infinity sets. In fact, it looks like they were taken from the same master elements. So, no big upgrade here. It's nice to finally get Season 4 though.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
So in short, the low quality S1 episodes we saw earlier are still just that and if you bought all three seasons previously, it's a waste of money getting this.
Thanks a lot Shout (sarcasm mode now off).

HenryDuBrow

Screenwriter
Real Name
Henry.
I don't think I've ever seen a single episode of this show and never did get that first release, but I'll be getting this set on the strength of that amazing cast of guest stars alone. I mean, as with Checkmate that's just everybody there.

jdee28

Screenwriter
Real Name
John
David Com said:
My "Route 66" set just arrived from Shout Factory. Took a quick look at a couple of episodes I knew were cut on the first Infinity pressing. Specifically "A Fury Slinging Flame" and "Blue Murder."
They're still cut. In fact, "A Fury Slinging Flame" now carries a slate before the start of the episode that says it was taken from the "best master element available" and that it was edited for syndication.
The first season episodes are the correct aspect ratio, like the second release of Season 1 that Infinity put out after their original 16:9 fiasco. The image quality is pretty much on par with the Infinity sets. In fact, it looks like they were taken from the same master elements. So, no big upgrade here. It's nice to finally get Season 4 though.
Very, very disappointing. I'm cancelling my pre-order.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
I wrote a pretty lengthy rant over at Shout Factory just to show how Brian Ward, and whoever worked on the set, are so damn incompetent, (no excuses, guys!) should not be allowed to work anywhere in the industry ever again.
Think of it as my way of sticking it to the man.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
Let me just say that much as I agree with a couple points made in that particular post, I wouldn't have dissed the "Barney Miller" set. That's a good show and I'm glad it got the treatment it got. I will give Shout every bit of praise for that particular one.
I am only with the greatest of reluctance keeping my order for this set in place because (1) I promised to give the earlier releases I had to someone else after getting this and I'm not going back on my word and (2) there are too many individual episodes in S4 with some favorite guest stars of mine I want to see to take a spite approach of refusal.
But if they used the same source elements that Roxbury used with no changes, then it does look as if the same person who for several years said Shout had rights to all eight years of Ironside, has a lot of explaining to do since he did go out of his way to insist these would look different from the releases of other companies.

PatrickGoodluck

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Patrick
Hmm... I thought I read somewhere that this new Shout release was going to be an upgrade on the Infinity releases. :confused:

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
I recall lots of other people automatically assuming this release would be an upgrade to the previous release, but I do not recall any one from Shout! (Brian included) saying it was. I just remember Brian stating he was enjoying the show. He probably never even saw the previous release to make a comparison. I also recall rumors about potentially better season 1 prints that might be available that were not used in the previous release but nothing conclusive.
My take from the beginning has been that this release would be the same but just include season 4 in a more compact and better packaging (IMO). Since we are basically dealing with an independent releasing after another independent, not an originating studio releasing after an independent, the liklihood of major improvements were slim. And all the hoopla I recall stating it would be much improved came from hopeful fans not Shout!.
I sold my previous sets and I'm ready for this to be released so that I will finally have the complete series.
Along with "Jack" I can't believe anyone would diss the "Barney Miller" release. That is one of the jewel's in my collection.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
http://www.shoutfactory.com/community/5326/thread.aspx#axzz1sxgINSbX
"As for the quality of the masters, we're using those we acquired from the original owner (not to be confused with the previous licensee). Many of these episodes, particularly in the first season, had multiple sources. We went through each one and found the best source available and are using those. Like I said, the footage looks good."
No one could read that and not presume they were going to see considerable improvement in the S1 episodes. If that isn't an indication that this is going to justify having S1 all over again, I don't know what else it could be.
The criticism of Shout needs to be marginalized to where its justified, but on this specific matter it most certainly is justified and it is another in a series of black marks Shout has accumulated in the last couple years.

John DeAngelis

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John DeAngelis
Jack P said:
"As for the quality of the masters, we're using those we acquired from the original owner (not to be confused with the previous licensee). Many of these episodes, particularly in the first season, had multiple sources. We went through each one and found the best source available and are using those. Like I said, the footage looks good."
No one could read that and not presume they were going to see considerable improvement in the S1 episodes. If that isn't an indication that this is going to justify having S1 all over again, I don't know what else it could be.
The criticism of Shout needs to be marginalized to where its justified, but on this specific matter it most certainly is justified and it is another in a series of black marks Shout has accumulated in the last couple years.
I don't see why any criticism of Shout is justified for a set that hasn't even been released yet. Why don't we wait until we can all assess the quality of all the episodes before making any judgments.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
In this thread we heard a first report that (1) edited episodes from S1 are still edited and (2) the same elements were used and that there is no significant upgrade involved for the poor quality episodes we saw in the earlier releases. That is what prompted the critical remarks.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by smithb /t/318411/shout-factory-press-release-route-66-the-complete-series/30#post_3919501
I recall lots of other people automatically assuming this release would be an upgrade to the previous release, but I do not recall any one from Shout! (Brian included) saying it was. I just remember Brian stating he was enjoying the show. He probably never even saw the previous release to make a comparison. I also recall rumors about potentially better season 1 prints that might be available that were not used in the previous release but nothing conclusive.
My take from the beginning has been that this release would be the same but just include season 4 in a more compact and better packaging (IMO). Since we are basically dealing with an independent releasing after another independent, not an originating studio releasing after an independent, the liklihood of major improvements were slim. And all the hoopla I recall stating it would be much improved came from hopeful fans not Shout!.
I sold my previous sets and I'm ready for this to be released so that I will finally have the complete series.

I'm with Brad on this one. I highly doubt Brian Ward ever saw the Infinity releases, so depending on his analysis is a moot point. To him the prints he saw looked good. We all know that's a subjective call no matter who is making it. And while I was holding out hope that we'd see better, cleaner prints, I knew that it was more than possible that we'd get the same type of quality we saw on the earlier releases. If this first report is spot on (and I have no reason to doubt it at this point) then this will be a bummer. Having said that, I am excited about finally having the last season released.

Gary "as has been said a hundred times, you can't compare an indy like Shout to a major studio - they work with what is given to them, and that's it" O.

Walsh61

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Garth Lough
John DeAngelis said:
I don't see why any criticism of Shout is justified for a set that hasn't even been released yet. Why don't we wait until we can all assess the quality of all the episodes before making any judgments.
I've been watching my Season 1 episodes on the Shout set and can't see any improvement in the quality from the Roxbury release. However I am thrilled to have the complete series now.

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Jack P said:
I read it and didn't presume anything of the sort from it other then what it stated that they took what they got and picked the best from the lot. How could Shout! presume to know exactly how infinity/Roxbury approached it? There is nothing in that text to qualify whether Shout! did or did not follow the same approach, or would have different results. With the overuse of terms like "remastered" I don't take any verbage from a producer seriously until either i or someone I trust reviews it.
The only problem I see is that some took unquantifiable information and ran with it, overhyped it into something it wasn't, and now they are disappointed because they didn't get what they wanted. Like any release, from anyone (e.g., Shout!, Timeless, Infinity, MPI, CBS/Paramount, WB, WBA) it is best to try to keep it all in perspective. In general, independents are not going to have the best sources (as Gary referenced) as major studio's.
Would I have preferred to have a single season 4 release? Absoutely. Will there be one in the future? Maybe. We don't know how the licensing was structured or the details involved in deciding how to best prepare this release. I don't expect any company to do something just for my benefit (or a fans). If it was this approach or no season 4, then I'm willing to bite because i want it bad enough. Same as when i buy a higher priced WBA or CBS title.
I also don't understand when people act as if there are stuck with something when they double dip, or there is no value, or they can only give it away for nothing. There is a used market. I traded in my Route 66's, Fugitive's, Barney Miller's, Avengers, Dark Shadows, etc before moving up to complete sets to offset some of the cost (usually getting around 25% of purchased price). Some actually make money by going the ebay or marketplace route, i keep it simple and just use Amazon's trade in approach.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Gary OS said:
Gary "as has been said a hundred times, you can't compare an indy like Shout to a major studio - they work with what is given to them, and that's it" O.
The thing is, Gary, Shout has been known to improve themselves in the past. When FKB S1 was plagued with edited episodes, Shout demanded better transfers. When Rhoda S1 was plagued with edited episodes, again Shout demanded better transfers, and it was one of the rare instances Fox actually remastered something from the original element.
Vahan "I'm sorry, but I don't buy the whole "we can only use what we are given" excuse" Nisanian

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks