1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Shout Factory Press Release: Hill Street Blues: The Complete Series

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Ronald Epstein, Dec 17, 2013.

1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    XenForo Template

HillStBCSPS300dpi.jpg

The Long Anticipated Wait Is Over

FROM EMMY® AWARD-WINNING SERIES CREATOR STEVEN BOCHCO

HILL STREET BLUES: THE COMPLETE SERIES

BRING HOME THE COMPLETE LIBRARY OF THIS LANDMARK TELEVISION SERIES

IN A STUNNING 34-DVD BOX SET PACKED WITH SPECIAL BONUS CONTENT

ARRIVES ON HOME ENTERTAINMENT SHELVES EVERYWHERE April 29, 2014

FROM SHOUT! FACTORY

cid:image003.jpg@01CEFB0E.B68A3D70Created by award-winning writers/ producers Steven Bochco and Michael Kozoll, the critically acclaimed television series HILL STREET BLUES became one of the most seminal drama series by virtue of its powerful writing, gritty realism, emotionally charged storylines and incredible ensemble cast, including Daniel J. Travanti, Veronica Hamel, Bruce Weitz and Betty Thomas, among other notables. Throughout its seven year run on network television (1981-1987), HILL STREET BLUES took viewers inside the heart of a racially torn, crime-ridden precinct of an urban metropolis.  Each episode charts a day in the life on "The Hill," balancing the characters' personal lives with their professional ones. "Let's be careful out there," advises Sgt. Esterhaus every morning at roll call, before sending out his officers and detectives to patrol their city's streets, where the peace is kept thanks to a tenuous trust between the police and the people they protect. Yet as dangerous as their precinct is, the men and women of Hill Street often find that their biggest battles involve protecting themselves from the Public Defender's office, self-serving bureaucrats ... and each other.

The winner of 26 Emmy® Awards (including Outstanding Drama Series four years running) and a mainstay on any roll call of the greatest television shows of all time, HILL STREET BLUESTHE COMPLETE SERIES arrives for the first time ever on home entertainment shelves April 29, 2014 from Shout! Factory. This handsomely packaged 34-DVD collector’s box set contains all 144 acclaimed episodes, the original Hill Street Blues pilot, a commemorative 24-page book with a special essay written by the Pulitzer Prize-winning TV critic Tom Shales, and retrospective bonus content, featuring new interviews with Steven Bochco, the cast and more. A must-have for collectors and any fan of quality television, HILL STREET BLUES: THE COMPLETE SERIES DVD box set is priced to own at $199.99 SRP.

HILL STREET BLUES: THE COMPLETE SERIES Bonus Content:

• Interviews with Steven Bochco, Dennis Franz, James B. Sikking, Bruce Weitz,

Alan Rachins, Gregory Hoblit, Dennis Dugan, Jeffrey Lewis and more!

• Commemorative 24-page book

The television series HILL STREET BLUES is a production of MTM Enterprises, Inc. and distibuted by Twentieth Century Fox Television.

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.

2. David Weicker

David Weicker Screenwriter

David
    According to TV Shows On DVD, you can order directly from Shout for $139.99 with free shipping and their direct release date is Mar 18

3. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

good deal especially direct from shout I already have S1 and S2 on DVD and Season 3 from ITunes, but I will eventually pick this up, but like all things over $100 these days I'm gonna have to wait for a price drop.

4. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    Awesome looking set. Another thing to wishlist.

moviebuff75 likes this.
  5. JMFabianoRPL

JMFabianoRPL Stunt Coordinator

Now we keep the torch lit for St. Elsewhere...and hope the finale episode is completely uncut.

DisneySwan1990 likes this.
  6. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Screenwriter
    Reviewer

I tried to purchase this set directly from Shout! today. No dice. The site wouldn't accept my payment info. I have an email into them asking what the heck is going on.

I'd also second the thought about St. Elsewhere. That would be a Day 0 buy for me. And I'd add that I'd hope they could keep the music from the various episodes and not just have what was done to the syndication copies.

7. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    My first reaction was that it was kind of odd that they went with 34 disks instead of 36 disks. With 144 episodes this means that 8 of the disks will have 5 episodes each instead of the more traditional 4 hour long episodes. Since they have commonly used 6 disk standard cases in the past it would also be a perfect fit (6 cases, 6 disks each, 4 episodes per disk equals 144). But then it came to me 7 seasons and they want to present and eventually sell each season separately. But wait again, with 7 cases (one per season) they actual have more opportunity to keep each disk to only 4 episodes. Now I'm stumped.

Based on the number of episodes per seasons and not crossing seasons on a single disk the appropriate number of disks to maintain 4 episodes per would have been 39. I don't know... but why not go 39 at this point when making a complete series set. I think it would certainly make people fill a bit better about the quality of the product. At least those willing to purchase before reviews are posted.

8. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

I've pre-ordered from Shout (a no-brainer), but hope this isn't one of those "cardboard book" sets like Hawaii Five-O. They don't fit on a shelf, and open the way for one bit of dirt to make the disk unwatchable. Give me the way The Fugitive, Cagney and Lacey and Law & Order did it: Individual seasons in their own standard DVD cases, all fitted into the box (which, by the way, I trashed). If Hill Street Blues is cardboard-booked, I'll be buying standard cases and making my own covers, then sending the Shout cardboard to the recycle bin.

9. GMBurns

GMBurns Stunt Coordinator

Glenn
    Rick, I don't know if I'm allowed to ask this, but have you found a good source for buying dvd cases? I've done similar things (replacing original packaging) but haven't always been able to find good replacement cases, and I'm not interested in buying boxes of a thousand cases from the big distributors!

10. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

I get Blu-ray cases from Sleeve City (www.sleevecityusa.com). They have in single, double, triple and four (fourple?) disk sizes. There are others, though. They also have DVD cases, though not the original Amaray cases. Those I get from US Plastics (www.usplastic.com).

11. GMBurns

GMBurns Stunt Coordinator

Glenn
    Rick - thanks very much!

12. Kevin EK

Kevin EK Screenwriter
    Reviewer

A day later, I was able to finally get the website to work. And thus a pre-order is done. Theoretically, I'll be seeing the Blues in March.

I really do hope that Shout Factory follows up with St. Elsewhere. I can just picture the box set in the shape of St. Eligius.

My only regret here is that they don't seem to have been able to get to the level of material presented in the Larry Sanders boxed set, in terms of commentaries, etc. Granted, Sanders had the benefit of being able to use all the great content from the "Not the Best of" set, but it would really have been nice to invite several of the directors and writers in to talk through their episodes. Many of them are more than available and have good stories to tell.

MatthewA likes this.
  13. Richard Gallagher

Reviewer

Rich Gallagher
    I expect it will be packaged like the Mary Hartman Mary Hartman set, which has 36 discs in six standard flipper DVD cases.

14. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Supporting Actor

Doug Wallen
    Pre-ordered this and am now awaiting March 18th. This is my favorite cop show. So easy to see the influence of the shows that followed, L.A. Law, NYPD Blue, H:Lotts and The Shield. What a legacy, what an iconic show. Just two and a half weeks away.

Doug

15. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Supporting Actor

^ Oops (not your oops). Add another week. Early shipping has been pushed back a week.

16. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Supporting Actor

Doug Wallen
    I received this e-mail today explaining the delay.
    Dear Shout! Factory Customer,
    Thank you for ordering Hill Street Blues from our website. We have to delay shipping about a week; we were waiting for the final edit of the fantastic extras.

We’re still going to ship early. We will be able to start shipping March 25 and you will have the title by April 1. Your discount and free shipping obviously still apply.

We will update you with any new information and apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact customer support at shoutfactorycs@owd.com.

Sincerely,
    Shout! Factory

Just FYI!

Doug

17. Dave B Ferris

Dave B Ferris Supporting Actor

I've been hoping for a shipping notice today; but - so far - no such luck.

18. FanCollector

FanCollector Producer

Lee
    My shipping notice was just emailed, Dave. The good news is that the tracking information indicates the set is well underway on its journey already.

19. smithbrad

smithbrad Screenwriter

Brad
    Just got my notice as well. Says it is expected to arrive tomorrow.

20. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Screenwriter

Robert
    Mine is still "in process", but I did only pre-order it on Friday.

I would guess some of you have had this set pre-ordered for a while now.