What's new

Should you really set your floorstanding speakers to large? (3 Viewers)

Kirk Mango

Stunt Coordinator
My system sounds best with Mains to large / Center to small / surrounds to small. Ref 30 is set to Sub ON THX. These settings send full range to my mains and any bass from center and surrounds to sub w/crossover set to 80hz. The sound in my system just sounds fuller when mains are at large. Just seem to lose something when they are on small. I have tried the ultra setting on my preamp for the sub but the bass then becomes overwelming because it sends full bass to mains and duplicates it for the sub.

I should also point out that my bass response from 20hz to 90 hz is within about 6 or 7dB after adding in the Rat SChack adjustments. This is with the above settings. Cannot get much better then that.

My sub has a high level connection to the mains and fills in anything that my mains cannot handle. Crossover for this is 25hz. LFE is handled completely by the sub. Anything the director puts on the DVD that is meant for the sub goes to the sub.

I used to run my Center on large as well (rated down to 38hz),however, there where very subtle sounds on the low end I was missing. Would never have known if I did not experiment. Example - In the scene from matrix there is a scene where reeves jumps up (at the end of the bank scene before they enter the elivator)and back kicks a Swat Team Cop and his cap swings around that the bass from the cap is heard better when the sub handles it. Thus, setting for center to small.

Ronnie,

If I am not mistaken when you set your reciever to L/R+LFE you are actually doubling up on your bass. Doesn't this give you an unatural sound?

KM

Ronnie Ferrell

Second Unit
Ronnie

If I am not mistaken when you set your receiver to L/R+LFE you are actually doubling up on your bass. Doesn't this give you an unnatural sound?
Not with my setup. Remember ALL of this stuff we are talking about is very equipment, room, and speaker dependent. My mains were designed to be run as large, even though they are small speakers. They are flat down to 60Hz, -3Db at 55Hz, and roll off very steeply after that.

On my receiver with the mains set to small, I can choose 80Hz and 100Hz for my sub x-over point. BUT the mains get cut at 120Hz when set to small no matter where I cross the sub. With my setup, this produces a dip between 80Hz and 150Hz in the overall response curve that is audible and measurable.

So the best sound in my system is:

1. Set the mains to large since they naturally roll off around 55Hz.
2. Cross the sub at 60Hz.
3. Set the sub to L/R+LFE setting so that it will produce all the LFE signal along with the L/R signal below the 60Hz crossover point set in #2.

Now as for the setting for center at large or small in my system, the verdict is still out. I have more testing/listening to do. Right now I am leaning toward large. I watched Gladiator last night and switched the center back and forth between large and small throughout the entire movie. In my system, there is a "chestyness" (if that is a word ;)) that is missing in the male voice if I set my center to small. Again, I think this gets back to the same dip I get with the mains set to small that I mentioned earlier.

Again, let me state this is in my system and will not apply to anyone else. My main point here is to trust your ears! You will achieve the best sound from YOUR system if and only if you take a night and do some critical listening using all the options you have available to you. The generic setting of mains set to small IS a good starting place and may very well BE the best setting for you. I am just not in the camp that it is ALWAYS the best setting, no matter what size your speakers are.

As always, everyone's mileage WILL very... ;)

Take care,

Ronnie

Kirk Mango

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,

I know what you mean. My mains are -3dB down at 22hz. They are very capable. My Sub fills anything in at where they start to roll off (somewhere in the mid 30's)to where the sub rolls off (-6dB at 16hz). It took a while to decide to run my center on small. The center is rated down to 38hz. I ran it on large for a year. After much time listening to bass heavy scenes on DVD's I started to notice subtle differences probably in the below 50 hz range down to, well, whatever. I found that my sub would pick up on these differences and I would here more defined bass tones in the lower octives. The difference was subtle, most would not know the difference. However, I wanted to play everything the way the director intended it to be heard.

KM

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
115Db well I listen to most music and movies at 75-80Db
Yeesh I must be getting old because 115Db is too loud for
these ears (Headroom is nice though)
No one listens to movies at a constant 115dB. I also listen at either reference (or lower). As you alluded to in your post, the 115dB is to have enough headroom for dynamic peaks...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks