What's new

Should this be allowed in High School? (1 Viewer)

John Spencer

Supporting Actor

You don't know too many rednecks, do you? Were it not for sexual deviance, many of them would not exist at all. Some rednecks I know have a family tree that looks like a strawberry patch. Others a phone pole.

Think about it. Kentucky has a law making it illegal to commit bestiality on only your neighbor's livestock. Yours is fair game.

That is all. Cotinue with the thread.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

I was going to mention this, but I let it go. I lived in North Carolina for a time and heard ...uhh, stories.

mikeMarz

Grip
I wonder how much of a distraction this really was. When I went to school, it was agianst the rules to talk in class, meaning hold a personal conversation; participating in a question / answer forum was ok. After several warnings, it became clear that you were not going to let the teacher conduct class in an orderly manner, so you went to have a chat with the principal. If I had seen the button in passing in the halls, or at lunch, I probably would have made a comment to the wearer, but as far as carrying it into the classroom? I doubt it. The first situation I mentioned was from a middle school classroom. In high school, these things weren't really issues. But in middle school...? I remember wearing a brand new "Gatoraid - the thrist quencher" style t-shirt that actually said "Get Laid... The lust quencher" It was confiscated and never returned. I was also almost suspended for a Bud Light t-shirt, but I got away with my "Phuc Boy" t-shirt. One of my friends dressed up like Chris Farley in his Matt Foley, motivational speaker outfit, not distracting in itself, but was forced to change when we could not control our laughter...

just my $0.02.

Adam.Heckman

Second Unit
Thing is, I do know many rednecks. I myself display SOME redneck tendencies (not sweet sweet sheep lovin' tho). My town was 6000 people small. The school shut down for a few days for deer season. And as much 'deviance' as there may be with SOME rednecks most good ol' boy types don't like "ho-mo-sex-e-als" too awful much.

Mike,
If any one near me dressed up like Matt Foley and said "okay, let's do some role playing"... I would be laughing for the rest of the day.

John,
Rural west TN, huh? You may have me beat as far as redneckness.

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
I think the distraction was caused by the teachers and administrators calling attention to the button. If the girl had worn an "I love my vagina" button" and no teacher said anything, I highly doubt that too many students would even notice the button in the first place, and the ones who did notice probably would not bring classes to a screeching halt.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
The article doesn't mention disruptive classes. The article does mention:So the student is assessing what she feels is appropriate? That's not the students job. The student doesn't have to deal with the entire faculty, parents, students and the rest of the administration.

D. Scott MacDonald

Supporting Actor

Wow, when I was in school I would have never equated "I [heart] my Vagina" to have anything to do with domestic abuse, but rather as a statement that this person wanted to user her vagina. I would not have been offended, but I certainly would have noticed it and perhaps would have daydreamed about that person's vagina for the rest of the class. I would suspect that most teenage boys would fall in this category, but perhaps today's youth are more "enlightened".

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I've only been out of High School for a year and I can say that something like this would most definitely derail a class. I'm not talking about a class that would be good this discussion, like a history or sociology class, I mean things like Math or Chemistry. It's good that these girls are thinking outside of their environment, but is it really a good thing for them to be wearing what some people deem to be offensive buttons? It might be their right to wear them, but it might be some other student's right not to be offended when they attend government-mandated public high school.

More or less, these girls should do something more productive with their energy, fight a better cause, and then use college to express themselves. In all honesty, what you do in High School matter so little afterwards (or it should, at least).

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks