What's new

Should the Major Studios Just Give Up? (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Yeah but whenever a show is released that's from pre-1990, I assume that no stores will carry it so I order it online. Plenty of people think the same thing so it boosts Amazon's sales. If that wasn't true, why does Amazon sell so many and Best Buy or Wal Mart sell so few?

Jack Platt

Stunt Coordinator

Didn't Carsey Werner make thier own decision to do syndicated prints of The Cosby Show? I didn't know that they had sold the rights to Shout Factory. Whoever was responsible for this, should be sued for deceptive advertising. This is because the pre-production box for Season 1 of TCS, claimed "original full-length network episodes."

Jack

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Yes, for B&M's shelf space is limited. A store just can't carry everything, and even if they try to put out all of the season 1 shows, they probably don't bother ordering the 2nd season - partially because there is so much other stuff to put out on the shelves.

The studios just over-saturated the market, and ended up screwing themselves, and us. Even if you aren't on a budget, there is still only so much time you can devote to watching TV series. For the over 50 crowd, what if they wanted everything that has come out! Just imagine how utterly impossible it would be, time-wise.

I hope they find some way to reevaluate what they have done, cost/profit wise, and figure out how to get the rest of the seasons out. I am sure that for some shows, there is nothing stopping them - except for a certain amount of profit.

Glenn

Scott_F_S

Second Unit

If you believe that postings here are a representative sampling of public opinion, then there's really no reason to continue this discussion because that's just insane.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

I would love for you to not participate in this discussion, because frankly your sarcastic "wit" and condescending nature conspire to piss me off.

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator

Next weeks release of Family Affair is a GREAT example of this. On the DVD Talk website (www.dvdtalk.com) they already have posts detailing the DVD sales for Best Buy, Circuit City, and Target up for the week of 6/25. Not ONE of them is carrying Family Affair-Season 1 (which releases 6/27). I didn't expect to see it at Target, but I am frankly surprised that at least Best Buy is not carrying it. This totally eliminates the option of someone who would love to own the show, but doesn't track new releases on the internet seeing it on a store display shelf and picking it up. It appears that with this release, it's order online or nothing, so it should do quite well on Amazon and other online DVD e-tailers.

Ollie

Stunt Coordinator

Next weeks release of Family Affair is a GREAT example of this. On the DVD Talk website (www.dvdtalk.com) they already have posts detailing the DVD sales for Best Buy, Circuit City, and Target up for the week of 6/25. Not ONE of them is carrying Family Affair-Season 1 (which releases 6/27). I didn't expect to see it at Target, but I am frankly surprised that at least Best Buy is not carrying it. This totally eliminates the option of someone who would love to own the show, but doesn't track new releases on the internet seeing it on a store display shelf and picking it up. It appears that with this release, it's order online or nothing, so it should do quite well on Amazon and other online DVD e-tailers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks