1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

should i really be looking into a projector?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Nick-R, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Nick-R

Nick-R Active Member

yeah, i'm new. i'm building a home and intend on putting a front projector downstairs in the living room. my hope is to keep it as normal looking as possible, as i will be selling the home in a couple of years. my plan is to put a screen mounted in the ceiling, as well as the rear speakers.

now, i would like to do most of my tv watching in this room. this included daily channel changing, movies, probably video games. is this amount/type of use typically considered OK for a front projector? i hear some people saying that they only use their screen for movies and big events.

if i followed through with this plan, would you recommend that i start the projector and leave it on for the rest of the day, even if i don't use it for a while, or shut it off everytime i'm done (like a normal TV)? i guess i'd just like some info on recommended usage of the projector as it relates to lamp life.

2. Jeff Gatie

Jeff Gatie Well-Known Member

First question is: How much ambient light do you have in the room. Projectors are optimally supposed to be viewed in near or total darkness. The more ambient light, the worse the picture looks. If you are not able to control the light to allow close to total darkness, a projector is not for you.

3. Nick-R

Nick-R Active Member

if i go with a projector, i'd probably go with some sort of blackout screens over the windows.

4. rob-h

rob-h Well-Known Member

In a case like that it would be optimal to go with a TV as well as a projector. Use the TV to handle your day to day activities and the projector for movies and PPv events, things like that.

5. John S

John S Well-Known Member

I only know of one person that uses their 4805 for all their viewing in their living room. It works for them, but they do not watch a lot of TV in general.

I mean at my house, my display is on nearly 100% of the time in my living room. I don't think I'd subject any projector to that sort of use.

6. chuckg

chuckg Well-Known Member

Whew - When I read your subject I thought you wanted to look INTO a projector. All I could think was "wow that would really be blinding - Most people just point them at a wall or screen and then look at that."

Sorry - I'm feeling goofy. [​IMG]

7. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Well-Known Member

Jim
    I agree with John. I have the X1 projector and I love it, but I would never use a projector for ALL viewing. I use it for all DVD's and occasional HDTV. There are 2 problems using it for everything: Bulb life and cost, and SDTV looks bad on ANY projector. We have a 32" set for BS television. You can use a similiar size set for TV viewing, and the projector for DVD's and whatever else. You can set it up so the screen goes down in front of the TV.

8. Nick-R

Nick-R Active Member

thats kind of what i thought. i guess i hadn't factored in the quality of SDTV. is it really that terrible? for instance, you wouldn't want to watch a football game on it?

thanks for your help so far.

9. rob-h

rob-h Well-Known Member

Its no that bad if you are far enough away from the screen. If you are close it is very very bad.

10. Jim Mcc

Jim Mcc Well-Known Member

Jim
    Nick, I wouldn't want to watch a SDTV football game on it. Do you have cable TV, satellite, or what? I watch football in HD on my X1 projector and it looks great(Better than DVD, but not as good as true HD). I have a Dish Network HD sat. receiver and an OTA antenna hooked up to my projector, so I get all HD programming from Milwaukee also. HD looks great even with a 480p projector.

11. Nick-R

Nick-R Active Member

i guess i assumed that most football games/baseball games wouldn't have the option of HD. i'm not real up to date on the HD program availabilities. i'll probably be using digital cable or satellite, i'm not sure which. i'll check into that. thanks again for the help everybody.

12. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Well-Known Member

Neil Joseph
    Moving this one to displays.

13. Allan Jayne

Allan Jayne Well-Known Member

>>> lamp life

Rear projection LCD and DLP require the same lamp condierations as front projection LCD and DLP. If the TV is turned off it should not be turned back on for at least five minutes. I am guessing that in terms of lamp life, if you are going to be out of the room for less than two hours, leave the projector on. Each turn-on costs a little in terms of overall lamp life.

CRT direct view and CRT projectors can withstand more rapid turn on but still a minute delay is recommended.

Video hints:
    http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

14. LaMarcus

LaMarcus Well-Known Member

As far as sdtv looks on a projector, yeah it looks like crap mostly. When you get to the digital channels it looks better. HD on my projector is awesome (panny 500), dvd's are excellent also. But football (sdtv) I can't stand it, but HD football is great.

You could use your pj for everyday usage, but that just determines how fast your going to have to replace that bulb. When I first got my pj, I watched all the time, tv, dvd, xbox, what ever. But once I reached 1000 hrs, I said okay, time to slow down. Now I only use it for dvds, Sunday/Monday HD football, CSI/House, and the occasional Halo 2 match online.

15. PaulDF

PaulDF Well-Known Member

So, for those who use a separate TV for SD viewing, where do you put it, and how do you hook up to it?

I am planning a fixed screen but also plan to view some SD material. Not sure how my PJ(Z3) will fare with SD content as I don't actually have it yet, but I expect it will not be that great.

It might take a lot of thought to hook up all my sources to both the PJ and tube TV...