What's new

Should I order the SVS SBS-01 5.1 Set with PB12-NSD (1 Viewer)

Don T

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
It seems that everyone here has great things to say about the SVS speakers.

I am ready to upgrade and this is the set I am looking at. I currently have some big Kenwood towers that are 20 years old, small bookshelf sourrounds, and an infinity center speaker. I do not have a sub.

I have been contemplating adding an HD DVD, but can't decide on the format, and the war doesn't seem to be close enough to the end to justify the price of the player and investing in the media.

If anybody has this system, can you please let me know what you think? I am excited, but want to make sure I am making a wise choice.

Thank you,
Don

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

I was pretty impressed with them when I was using them. I did a review of the speakers – see the link in my signature. The SB12 review has some info on the PB12 as well.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

wiggles

Auditioning
Real Name
Dave
Nice review Wayne.

I really like my SBS set with PB12-NSD. I don't think you'd be disappointed with your purchase.

Don T

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
My only fear is moving from tower speakers to bookshelf models that the volume won't be there.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne

A speaker’s efficiency rating has more to do with its volume output (for a given wattage input) than its size. All size does is (typically) increase bass output. But the subwoofer makes up for that.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Joe S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Well, SVS does offer 30 day in home trial - money back guaranteed. So how much are you really risking in giving it a shot?

Don T

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
OK guys, I called and ordered my set. Talk about super helpful and honest. What a great bunch of guys.

Instead of the SBS set, I upgraded the fronts to the SCS speakers, and went with the PB12. Although I will need to make sure that pumps enough for me or I will trade it in for the dual driver.

Thanks everybody!

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

Sweet! I was going to suggest the SCS fronts if you want a bit more dynamic range. I'm considering going 7.1 (since my receiver supports it) with a pair of SCS going up front and the current SBS going to surround duties. I honestly don't really tax the SBS-01 system as it is (amazing dynamics for the size), but what the heck. ;) And the PB12 should keep up just fine as far as matching the capabilities of the rest of the system.

Don T

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
I am so excited, the equipment shipped yesterday. I am going to follow the advice of others here on the board and go to home depot to buy my 12 guage cables. Where should I buy the connectors?

Thank you,
Don

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
Let us know what you think of the SCS fronts. I currently have the SBS with PB10 and am thinking of upgrading to the SCS fronts. Although with SCS fronts aren't these going to be more in line with the MTS line?

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Chris,

The SCS-01(M)'s are certainly capable enough where we'd tend to recommend you pair a more powerful NSD or say a single woofer Plus sub. The MTS-01 (which we hope to start publishing a bit of info about in a short time) will range from a single woofer Plus, say if you had an all MTS-01 bookshelf speaker system, to one of our new Ultra subs with a full-blown 7.1 system with the MTS-01 towers.

The SCS-01's are fantastically good, but they are still trending to the entry level side of our offerings of course.

Don,

Thanks for the purchase, you'll love this set. You can get good affordable banana terminations at www.parts-express.com or Radio Shack in a pinch (they tend to be more expensive at the latter). While less important for DIY speaker wires at the speaker side, they will save your sanity in a big way at the receiver side of your hookup.

PS Joe S was just a bit off. That in-home trial period is 45 days, and doesn't start till your gear shows up, so take your time and after setup, push that system hard. I'm confident you'll reach the 44th day in bliss, but we're here in case you have other ideas.

Ron
SVS

Don T

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
Hello Everybody,

My set came and I am very impressed. But let me tell you, the sub is huge! After getting rid of the old towers though, there was plenty of room.

I made a huge mistake when I ordered my cable and connectors from blue jeans and didn't order enough connectors. I guess I was too excited, so I reordered more connectors. Can't wait to get them.

I believe that Avia is backordered, so I will have to wait to do a proper calibration (my receiver doesn't have a test noise for the sub). I reset my receiver to have small fronts, center, and rears and made sure to turn the sub on. It appears my receiver has a non-adjustable crossover at 90 Hz. I have no clue what that means, but it seems to be fairly in line with what others have posted.

Having not heard the SBS's, I can't compare the SCS's to them. I can tell you that they are a proper match for the center and SVS even installs the badge correctly. The SCS's are a bit large for the stands, but this only concerns me because I live in California and we have that whole earthquake business. I may try a few other options, either mounting them directly to the walls, or double sided foam tape/velcro. During regular and lively playback, I don't think the size would be an issue.

The speakers not only sound great, they look great as well. Very solidly built and classy.

The team at SVS has been great helping me with silly questions and small little things. I don't think they could pry the speakers and sub out of my hands in 45 days.

Thank you for everyone's help!
Don

Ron Connolly

Agent
Real Name
Ron
Congratulations Don! From everything I've read, you purchased some of the best speakers available.....and you still have the GC available. Enjoy!!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif

Joe S.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe
Ron - has anyone ever actually sent a sub back to SVS within 45 days because they just didn't like how it sounded? I can't imagine it...

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
People must send stuff back as the b-stock section always has some goodies in it...hmmm, I might go rumaging right now...

Don T

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
Hello Everybody,

I have to tell you I popped in a SD DVD last night for "The Sentinel", and was blown away by the bass in the movie. Not just with the action sequencese, but some of the music and heart beat sounds. I didn't expect it. I can't wait to rewatch my movies with this new set up and find bass that I had previously missed.

Two words have made me decide to never give up the SVS speakers, "Super Speedway".

Thank you,
Don

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
Don,

That's great. Receivers without (accurate) subwoofer calibration noise signals are on my long list of things I'd like to see banned ;^)

A new Avia is due out soon we we're going to be out of stock till we've got our hands on the new guy, and validated it's bug free. Use a combination of movies and music to dial things in as you are in the meantime and old classics like "Super Speedway" should indeed come to life in a big way.

Joe, actually I can still remember the first return we ever got a long time ago. I think it was a trade up to something else IIRC, but it was still a blow to our egos. We've long since gotten over that however ;^) Today, size, shape, finish, unforeseen financial hits, performance goals, all are issues that'll prompt a return, sometimes at our urging . A sub or speaker must, of course, fit the customers' space and desires, or it's not the right product and should be exchanged for something else or simply refunded.

Despite what I think is the best pre-sale service in the industry, there will always be "b-stocks" when you are talking thousands of sales every year. The fact is returns are exceptionally rare however, so those looking for a small discount have to keep a sharp eye out for those we do get. To the point though, "performance" (namely an insufficient amount of power for a given space or desired playback levels) is almost certainly the least common reason for a rare return to SVS.

Ron
SVS

Don T

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Don
Ron,

You have an excellent product and should be proud. I am amazed that you have returns, but thus is life.

I seriously think that you should add the Sentinel as a movie to view with solid clean bass.

Have a good holiday weekend,
Don

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks