What's new

Should I even consider Sony 60" KDS A3000 (1 Viewer)

Steven Larson

Stunt Coordinator
My local Sears has a floor model 60" KDS A3000 rear projection TV for $1099 as a clearance price. If I recall correctly, this was a well thought of TV. I have been waiting to purchase a 50" Panasonic plasma this fall or holiday season, but thought for $1099 that it might be a good deal.

However, it is not a supported technology now, and is a floor model. I am not sure how risky I want to be....LOL....

Plus I wonder if 60" would be too big, I sit about 9 feet from my current TV, and my living room is such that there is no other setup.

What are your thoughts on this tv and this price on a floor model? Thanks!

Steve

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
at 9 feet it would be fine.
I wonder how many hours are on it (as a display model). It might be time for a bulb change.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
They might be a concern. I have a KDS A2000 that needs the bulb changed and I have owned for less than 2 years. I was really hoping to get more time out of the original bulb, especially at $250 for a replacement.

Micah Cohen

Screenwriter
I bought it new in-box, the last one HHGregg had.

I sit about 9 feet away from it.

I have spent a couple hours calibrating it (it has endless menus and tweaks).

I'm using it for SD DVD only.

It's an amazing TV. I am blown away by it.

Find the review video for it on CNET. It gets high marks.

MC

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
A friend of mine bought this for around $1650 brand new as a clearance price and believe you me, from what I have seen from it's performance, it is a no brainer even at much higher price. My suggestion is do not let this opportunity slip by for there are'nt going to be anymore of these or any other Sony SXRD TVs around anymore. What a shame that Sony has stopped manufacturng them, for these TVs are really far better than almost every single LCD that I have ever seen irrespective of price. As for the 'lamp' life, I think even if you have to spend a couple of hundred on a new lamp almost right away the TV is still a steal and far better than anything else you can find for even twice the price. Bottom line is I think that the only displays aside from front projection that I have been more impressed with is, are the Pioneer Kuro plasmas, but then for a Kuro in the same 60" size you will have to pay almost five times as much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks