What's new

Should I buy an upscaling DVD player ? (1 Viewer)

Nancy Parr

Agent
I received my Denon 2910 and connected it (in the 720p mode) to my Sanyo PLV-Z2 using a DVI cable and the conclusion is : the picture quality is better. It is sharper and the colour have more punch. In a word, it's more "cinema like".

My 3 other DVD players do overscan and when I'm looking a 1.85:1 movie with them my 1.78:1 screen is completely filled. Using my 2910 a 185:1 film really looks like a 1.85:1 film. I like it a lot! I always hated overcan...

There are lots of picture's adjustments on the 2910 and I will test them in order to improve a little bit more the PQ.

I do not regret my new addition to my Home Theatre.

John-Tompkins

Second Unit

I also disagree with Brajesh ..I also have the panasonic ae500 and have did a DIRECT a/b between a zenith dvb318, Panasonic s97 and a regular component Sony 999es..

First of all brajesh should have noticed that there is a 25 percent green depression problem with the dvb-318 and the panny ae500 pj..The dvb318 is sending out a hd color matrix when it should be sd, and the ae500 doesnt have a switchable color matrix ..anyway, when comparing the zenith to the others the colors look soooo funky .

So out went the zenith ..Comparing the newest latest and greatest hdmi panasonic s97( colors ar correct on the s97) at 720p via hdmi ( ae500 is native 720p also) to the sony 999es via component at either 480 (I) or 480 (P) reveals that the sony is every bit as good as the pany s97 ..the colors are a bit punchier on the sony 999es, details and sharpness etc. are almost identical ..
( I calibrated with avia and dve)..then I have two copies of gladiator and air force one..Im able to swith on the fly to a/b

PS. I also had the Denon 3910 and sold it because it actually had a green PUSH on the pany ae500 ( opposite problem of the zenith dvb318 )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks