What's new

Should I buy a new LCD or keep my RPTV? (1 Viewer)

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
Here's my dilemma:

I currently own a 3 1/2 year old Toshiba 42H82 RPTV. I'm thinking of getting an LCD, either a flat panel or projection. So my questions are:

1. Should I keep the Tosh & get it ISF'd and save a bunch of cash.

2. Should I get an LCD flat screen

3. Should I get an LCD projection.

Light control is definitely a problem in my living room thus my reasoning for staying away from plasma. Is there any benefit to getting a flat LCD vs. a projection from a performance standpoint?

Thanks!

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Mark

I can't imagine sticking with a 42...I have a 65H84 and love it...you ought to reconsider your lighting situation in that you already have a somewhat reflective surface...I would go as big as you can comfortably fit in your viewing room and can afford...a big screen will make a huge difference...I would not do anything less than a 60 inch screen...and a 65 inch DLP from Mitsubishi is a really good choice in my humble opinion...

Happy New Year

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
There is little I can do in the way of light control, that would satisfy my wife, in this room. Although I'd like to go somewhat bigger, my viewing distance is only 7 feet, so I'd keep it between 42" and 50".

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Hi Mark

Just to continue to try to be of assistance, about how much do you think your spouse is prepared to let you part with on an LCD?

Please keep in touch.

Art

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor

Fortunately, that decision has been left up to me. She got to pick the new living room furniture, I get to pick the television. I have more spending restraint than she does.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer

You don't mention a specific screen size. Be aware that for the price of a good 40-46" lcd flat panel set you can get one of the new 1080p LCOS (Sony SXRD or JVC DILA) rear projection sets with at least a 50" screen, or alternatively a 1080p DLP model in the 56-61" range.

Either will give better contrast ratio than any lcd flat panel.

LCD rear projection, while a good low-cost alternative is limited to 720p and has a pronounced "screen door" effect, as well as somewhat poorer contrast ratio than LCOS or DLP rptv.

As a current rptv owner you're already familiar with the "off angle brightness dropoff" associated with rptv, though the newer dlp, lcos, and lcd models suffer considerably less from this than your current crt based rptv. In every other respect the microdisplay rptv will outperform an lcd flat panel.

Mark Murphy

Supporting Actor
Thanks, I'll check them out. Does the LCos televisions suffer from glare? Thats a big issue in this room for me.

ChrisClearman

Second Unit
If you're worried about glare just stay away from the Plasmas with their glass screens.

You need to look at the DLP, LCoS, and LCD RPTVs.

I assume you are going bigger? I prefer the LCoS (Sony and JVC), but the Mitsu 1080P DLP with 10k:1 Contrast is also really nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks