What's new

Should Cable Show more Obscure shows? (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Dear Guys: Just a thought. I've noticed that several cable networks show the same programming over and over again. Married With Children has popped up on several channels. Hallmark shows Little House on the Prairie, MASH, and the Waltons over and over again. Again, over and over again. While those programs may be fine, a little bit more variety would be nice. They're already out on DVD, and it would be nice if other family programs from that era could get a chance. It would be nice to see Eight is Enough and other family programming such as Apple's Way, The Family Holvak, and other short lived shows And Aftermash might be a nice "extra" for those fans, who'd like to see a bit more of the MASH crew, but have seen each episode quadrillions of times. Lifetime could show Golden Palace, Julia, The 5 Mrs. Buchanan's, Hot Properties, Committed, etc other programming rather than the Golden Girls and Designing Women over and over again. TBS could show "Unhappily Ever After" for a year or two to just give MWC a break. Any other opinions? Just would like to see more variety than just the same shows over and over again. James

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
I agree, but few want to risk the money and would rather go with a proven show or paid programming. Don't think I ever heard of Unhappily Ever After or MWC - oh wait is that Married with Children? I don't understand the over use of acronyms on forums, particularly on non standard things (in other words, not commonly used etc). But I digress, I wish we could see older shows not commonly seen and it would be nice to discover some older shows too.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
You're basically talking about syndication which aims for a minimum of 100 episodes as the magic number. Cable networks normally don't want to consider shows that produced fewer episodes.

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by JamesSmith

But isn't there an interest or market there for these programs?

If there was a market you wouldn't have asked your opening question. If they aren't on DVD or Netflix you're out of luck. Many of the shows you mention did have an aftermarket run but once the episodes ran out the broadcaster moved on to newer castoffs.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
I agree, but few want to risk the money and would rather go with a proven show or paid programming. Don't think I ever heard of Unhappily Ever After or MWC - oh wait is that Married with Children? I don't understand the over use of acronyms on forums, particularly on non standard things (in other words, not commonly used etc). But I digress, I wish we could see older shows not commonly seen and it would be nice to discover some older shows too.
maybe freeform,or lifetime might show this ,it's so funny.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
There are more obscure television shows on cable/satallite or tsod or anywhere else,maybe unhappily ever after might show on freeform,or maybe,lifetime,give mwc a rest,maybe tv land might show family,eight is enough,white shadow.and sitcoms such as head of the class,growing pains,etc.it would be great,and gmc family,will show head of the class,perfect strangers,it would be great.give mash,one of my all time favorite television shows and andy griffith a rest.bring some obscure television shows.it,would be great.maybe gmc family,will show square pegs,10 items or less,ned and stacey,gidget,will be great,and also i'll fly way,life goes on,china beach,perfect family/teen dramas,will be great.

Last edited:

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
Dear Guys: Just a thought. I've noticed that several cable networks show the same programming over and over again. Married With Children has popped up on several channels. Hallmark shows Little House on the Prairie, MASH, and the Waltons over and over again. Again, over and over again. While those programs may be fine, a little bit more variety would be nice. They're already out on DVD, and it would be nice if other family programs from that era could get a chance. It would be nice to see Eight is Enough and other family programming such as Apple's Way, The Family Holvak, and other short lived shows And Aftermash might be a nice "extra" for those fans, who'd like to see a bit more of the MASH crew, but have seen each episode quadrillions of times. Lifetime could show Golden Palace, Julia, The 5 Mrs. Buchanan's, Hot Properties, Committed, etc other programming rather than the Golden Girls and Designing Women over and over again. TBS could show "Unhappily Ever After" for a year or two to just give MWC a break. Any other opinions? Just would like to see more variety than just the same shows over and over again. James
maybe trapper john md,would be nice,for mash fans,unhappily ever after,might show up on freeform or a possibly lifetime,would be great.it will replace grey's anatomy,knocked down to two days,per day.it would be great to see family,eight is enough,and other family/teen programming.and underrated television shows.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
As was said, if there was a large enough market someone would have taken the risk by now. Especially, some of the smaller substations. The fact that they haven't either means they don't think it will bring in enough viewers, the studios have no interest in syndicating it, or there would be a cost to prepare it for syndication and no one wants to foot the bill. The same thing could be said for movies. If this is where your interests are, your best bet is to probably seek out collectors like "Neal" has to find these obscure shows from old tapes and 16mm prints.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
You're basically talking about syndication which aims for a minimum of 100 episodes as the magic number. Cable networks normally don't want to consider shows that produced fewer episodes.

The Sci Fi Channel (as they used to be known) often showed some obscure programs that had a fairly short run. But, then, that was back in the 90s when they were in their early days, and didn't have a sizable library of things to show. There were quite a few shows I finally caught up with -- or got to see again -- and some old obscure genre hows like Moonbase 3, and Tales of Tomorrow.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
maybe trapper john md,would be nice,for mash fans,unhappily ever after,might show up on freeform or a possibly lifetime,would be great.it will replace grey's anatomy,knocked down to two days,per day.it would be great to see family,eight is enough,and other family/teen programming.and underrated television shows.
I'd rather see AfterMASH, which wasn't bad (and thought it was better than the last couple of years of M*A*S*H), until they did a Mork & MIndy on it and screwed up the second season. I'd especially like to see the episode CBS never showed.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
I'd rather see AfterMASH, which wasn't bad (and thought it was better than the last couple of years of M*A*S*H), until they did a Mork & MIndy on it and screwed up the second season. I'd especially like to see the episode CBS never showed.
Mork and mindy,got messed up in the fourth season,because of jonathan winters,really jumped the shark.it was on abc not cbs.i've got the networks right.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The App Crackle often has some pretty obscure shows.
I think they even had The Charmings recently.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Mork and mindy,got messed up in the fourth season,because of jonathan winters,really jumped the shark.it was on abc not cbs.i've got the networks right.
It's a well-known fact ABC/the producers screwed up Mork in the second season not only by changing the focus of the series (and firing two regulars) but also by moving the series off its high-rated Thursday time slot and moving it to Sunday opposite Archie Bunker. The series never really recovered. And I don't recall writing that Mork was on CBS. In fact, I didn't.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
Maybe head of the class,needs a cable/satellite,home maybe freeform,tv land,possibly teen nick,or gac family.uptv channel,might needs china beach and life goes on to replace,touched by an angel,and heartland,would be great.and it would be great to see Square pegs,Room 222,That girl.and many others would be great.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
Julia would be great for lifetime,and so is herman's head,torkelsons,hogan family/valerie,caroline in the city,etc. rather than lifetime reality television series,all the time.freeform could show unhappily ever after for this fall replaces the office,would be
great.and a greater variety than any other television series from the 2000's and 2010's,it would be great.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
The new adventures of huckelberry finn,is sadly not on,nether is sid and marty kroft television shows,and also johnny sokko and his flying robot,have not seen in syndication in almost 30 years,but it's been in syndication in the 70's and 80's,but 1990,it was gone,it has not shown since.maybe tv land can shown these and fetv,might show stoney burke,state trooper,tarzan(60's).it would be great.it would be great to see sheena,vip,swamp thing (90's),it would be great.maybe
our house would be great for lifetime,and also suddenly susan,gilmore girls,grace under fire,it would be great.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
Maybe head of the class,needs a cable/satellite,home maybe freeform,tv land,possibly teen nick,or gac family.uptv channel,might needs china beach and life goes on to replace,touched by an angel,and heartland,would be great.and it would be great to see Square pegs,Room 222,That girl.and many others would be great.
That Girl is on Antenna TV. Square Pegs was only a one-season show but Antenna TV has shown some including Three's a Crowd and The Paul Lynde Show so it is possible.

tsodcollector

Supporting Actor
Real Name
matthew baduria
I'm surprised,julia,room 222 isn't on either Mister ed,My favorite martian,The courtship of eddie's father,it would be great to i'll fly away,Homefront.or maybe out of this world would be great.

Wiseguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Erich P. Wise
I'm surprised,julia,room 222 isn't on either Mister ed,My favorite martian,The courtship of eddie's father,it would be great to i'll fly away,Homefront.or maybe out of this world would be great.
My Favorite Martian is also on Antenna TV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks