What's new

Shot a Deer at Work (1 Viewer)

Julie K

Screenwriter
They wouldn't let me use my Savage .30-06 so I used my Canon 10D instead :)

Here's a doe trying to decide what part of the nice landscaping to eat next.
http://www.pbase.com/image/28857353

She's right next to the main cafeteria which is at the main entrance. This is in the middle of the day and I think it's fair to say that the deer here are very tame. There was also a little buck nearby and when the doe got tired of me and walked away, a little fawn jumped out of a bush and followed her. Those images need a little work and I'll upload them in a few days.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
oh jesus. We're going downhill fast. I'm bailing out of this one before it gets uglier

Julie K

Screenwriter
Hey, it may not be the prettiest or fanciest rifle on the block, but it is accurate.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I can put a bayonet on my M1 Garand but not on my Winchester .30-06. Two of my favorite rifles.

htf_images_smilies_yum.gif
Venison
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
Seems like you're enjoying your 10D. :D

Looks like the failure rate on the Canon EOS300D (Digital Rebel) is quite high...shutter failure at 15,000+ pictures, and mirror sticking problems. And my Digital Rebel's flash eject button just broke. Grrrr. Well at least I can still yank the CF card with my fingers. I'm too scared to send the camera in for repairs...with my luck the service center people will use the camera for baseball practice and get their donut-encrusted fingertips all over the mirror and the sensor!

Julie K

Screenwriter
Dennis and Ron,
Well, the Garand certainly wins in that regard! There's something just so classy about the Garand when it's got a bayonet :)

Max,
That's too bad about your digital Rebel. With the rate I'm taking pictures, +15,000 doesn't sound too high. Rather terrible that so many are failing around that point.

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Leave it to Jack to panic when he sees a Julie thread.... :p)

Actually around the Santa Cruz mountains here the preferred tool to hunt deer is the Miata. We must have a dozen local Miata pilots run into the darned things.... the forum reports a deer-hit almost monthly.

By the way, where is that Bambi DVD?

Julie K

Screenwriter

:)

I've got some better deer pics coming later.

As well as a picture of a cute little baby. (Anyone remember that one? :laugh: )

Julie K

Screenwriter
Deer also attack people. Usually it's whitetail bucks in the fall, but the does can do a lot of damage with their hooves as well.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, I remember the "baby"!

Did anybody see the PBS Nature episode about mountain lions/cougars two weeks ago? Those buggers are so darn cute. Not cudly, but certainly cute. I love wild cats. Well, all cats.

alan halvorson

Senior HTF Member
I've hit two deer. One head-on at about 50 MPH (it came out of the ditch so fast I barely got my foot to the brake) and the other with my 77 Corvette. People claimed that the front end of a 'vette would act like a wedge if it hit a deer and it's true! Had not my headlights been up I would have sustained no damage. I felt really bad about the deer because it didn't die right away, but suffered until the Sherriff arrived to dispatch it.

One of my aunts worked the night shift at a factory about 50 miles from her home. Over many years of commuting, most at night, she's hit 17 deer. Made the local papers once.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I wonder what the law is on that. If I hit a deer I wonder if I can shoot it

The previous owner of my miata hit a cow, same deal, acted like a wedge. The barn door headlight got ripped back and hosed the hood, otherwise it's pretty OK

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
Dang, before I even read the thread I was wondering what job allows a person to hunt that isn't a tv show.

About shooting a deer, a real man don't use guns or bows, just grab a club and give it a baby seal blows. :D

PS: just kidding.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks