What's new

Short Run Series that need a DVD release - (1 Viewer)

Claude North

Second Unit
Paul Stoddard???? I haven't seen you in over eighteen years!

Anyway...

I'd rent TENSPEED AND BROWNSHOE. I remember all the hype surrounding it and how it went from being the must-see new show of the season to a rather quick cancellation.

A couple of one-season wonders:

SQUARE PEGS (Seems like an obvious choice, but I suspect music clearances are the problem.)

GIDGET (Arguably, Sally Field's finest sitcom hour. I expect protests from the GIRL WITH SOMETHING EXTRA cult to arrive within the hour.)

HE & SHE (Critically acclaimed vehicle for Richard Benjamin and Paula Prentiss, A companion piece to the QUARK box set.)

BTW, when was a DVD release of the 1991 version of DARK SHADOWS "semi-announced?"

TheLongshot

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Some that come to mind:

Brisco County Jr.
Cupid
Space: Above And Beyond
Probe
Covington Cross
The Young Riders
Tales Of The Gold Monkey

Jason

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
All my titles have already been mentioned, but...

Undeclared
Nowhere Man
Greg The Bunny
Police Squad!
Sledge Hammer
Murder One

Jason Harbaugh

Senior HTF Member
Johnny Bago from 93. A hilarious 1hr long comedy show that ran for a summer on CBS then got canned. The plot, if you can call it that, was so out there. Would make a great DVD set as only 8 episodes were shot I believe.

Edit: Hell Robert Zemeckis even directed the first episode.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Some more great short-lived Fox shows:

Strange Luck
The Visitor
Brimstone

Does anyone know what that other Chris Carter-produced show was? (I think he produced it anyway or 10-13 Productions maybe) Not Millenium, but the one somebody was watching at the beginning of a Season 7 X-Files episode, and the guy kept saying "This is Great." I meant to check the credits to see if they mentioned it.
I'm thinking it was SL-7 or something. It starred D.B. Sweeney. I can't even remember how good it was, but I'm thinking at least some of the show was good.

Grant H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Grant H
Oh, and how about:

Jack of All Trades

No Bruce Campbell collection would be complete without that.

William Waits

Stunt Coordinator

There has been a lot of requests here for Police Squad! in this generic topic thread... Hello...? Anyone at Paramount listening?

Here would be my best take on this:

A re-release of the 3 Naked Gun, each containing all of the extended scenes in a box set, and included in the boxed set, a single disc containing the 6 episodes of Police Squad! (which all can subsequently be released singularly.)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Duet (54 eps) and Open House (24 eps), because Alison La Placa was fabulous in both (well, Duet was revamped into Open House when one of the "romantic leads" in the "Duet" concept left the show, so perhaps it's one block of 78 1/2-hr episodes). UBU Productions owns these, as well as stuff like Family Ties and Brooklyn Bridge. Aside from Spin City, which Michael J. Fox drove to get out, I don't think any UBU show is on DVD yet.

Ellen DeGeneres got started in Open House, and Philip Charles MacKenzie was great in that show, too. Speaking of him, I'd love Showtime to put out Brothers on DVD, too. Fantastic series, great cast.

Duncan Reno

Agent
Boomtown

Nightstalker

Tenspeed and Brown Shoe

Eeek!!! The Cat

Banyon (Robert Forster)
T.H.E. Cat (Robert Loggia)
The Snoop Sisters
Dan August
It Takes a Thief
The Time Tunnel
Wild Wild West
Banacek

Trio network occasionally runs episodes of shortlived series under their "Brilliant but Canceled" banner.

Robbie^Blackmon

Second Unit
Ace, Private Eye
Nearly Departed

^-- A blink of the eye and you'd have missed them both, originally... Oh, I see. You did miss them.

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Kolchak: The Night Stalker
Police Squad

Kolchak I can see Fox being hesitant, worried the sales might not be there.

Police Squad, just throw them on a bargain bin disc like the new Paramount releases that have been popping up in the $5.50 bin at Wal-Mart....what's the risk?

JulianK

Supporting Actor
Nowhere Man
Police Squad
Murder One
Kolchak: The Night Stalker
Maximum Bob
The Storyteller - The Greek Myths

and, most of all, American Gothic

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics