What's new

Short Run Series that need a DVD release - (2 Viewers)

Rick P

Supporting Actor
While looking thru some old tapes and in preperation for more work (sigh) I just happened to think that there are several 'short run' animated (and otherwise) series that have some rather loyal followings that could stand a DVD Release (even a 'bare bones' one would do, but maybe outtakes on the live action). Usually 13 1/2 eps would make a nice 2-disc package.

Those I'm thinking of...

In Animation -

The Oblongs
The Ripping Friends
Mission Hill
Baby Blues
Ralph Bakshi's Spicy City (HBO originally, only 6 episodes but for an 'adult' viewer).
John Callahan's Quads! (never shown in the US (AFAIK), very adult situations and FALL ON THE FLOOR FUNNY!)
Gary and Mike (claymation from Wil Vinton Studio's, I believe there are one or two unaired eps still in the vault)

In Live Action -

Greg the Bunny (same situation a "the Tick" mistreated by Fox with 2 unaired episodes and a VERY different unaired pilot)
That 80's Show (shush.. I think it had potential but again hammered by FOX)
Andy Richter Controls the Universe (ditto.. ditto.. and FIVE unaired episodes in the can.. and widescreen to boot)

Rick P

Supporting Actor
I think Police Squad! (in Color) has already been 'semi-announced, or at least announced to be announced).

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I'm desperate for VR-5 myself. And I also want 80's Show, too.

I've heard nothing about Police Squad...what's the sitch?

My granddaddy of all time short-run show that I want on DVD is Quark. I know I'm not alone; a couple of TVShowsOnDVD users will e-mail me from time to time and always mention it, no matter what the subject! :)

Rick P

Supporting Actor
David...

Somewhere in the distant back of my mind I remember something about Police Squad! (in Color) being mentioned in a chat as being on the sched for 2004.

VR.5 - trust me, I'm about ready to scrounge the RHINO tapes of the series (I do have most of them from the 1st SciFi airings) and do them myself! Someone should tap RHINO on the head and see what's the holdup for such a no-brainer.

That 80's Show - ahh.. someone else likes Katie (grin).

QUARK - in the words of Steve Austin OH HELL YEAH! I've got (wonky) tapes that are marginal but I'm gonna try them soon as I can afford a good video processor.

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
If UPN was'nt so deadset on catering to the lowest common denominator, Nowhere Man could've been their signature show. With a little patience & nurturing, it could've done for them what X Files did for FOX. :angry:

Chad A Wright

Supporting Actor
You know, two years ago I wouldn't have thought it even remotely possible for any of these series to see a release. Now, who knows. I knew when I saw Sports Night (one of my favorite shows ever) that anything had a shot.

Matt`L

Stunt Coordinator
A few of the shows mentioned in this thread are available on dvd, albeit outside the u.s.

Men behaving badly and Quads! (which I cannot stand) being two that I can say off the top of my head, with absolute confidence.

They're available in Australia and I assume the U.K. as well.

I'm sure if I had some spare time I could confirm the existence of a fair chunk of the dvds mentioned here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks