What's new

Short lived shows during 70-75 (1 Viewer)

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Just to see how good our memories are and how much of a tv afficianodos we are, can we name some short-lived tv shows from 1970-1975 and see if there are any programs back than that we might like to see on DVD?

The Bearcats
Born Free
The Partners (with Don Adams)
The Chicago Teddy Bears
The King and I (with Yul Brynner)
The Manhunter (with Ken Howard)
Nichols (with James Garner)
The Family Holvak
Invisible Man (with David McCallum)
Gemini Man (Ben Murphy)
Ellery Queen
Petrocelli
Lucas Tanner
Apple's Way (created by Earl Hammer)
Sunshine (sequel to schmulty movie with theme song by John Denver)

Any others?

James

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
There was a King and I TV series I must've blotted that out from my Memory Banks.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
I remember this one: Samantha Eggar was Anna, and Yul Brynner (who else?) played the king. It was on CBS around 1972.

I would love to see Hot L Baltimore and Adam's Rib again!

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
"Planet of the Apes" played for a half season in the Fall of 1974. Fortunately, Fox has released this Sci-Fi version of "The Fugitive" in its abbreviated entirety.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
The pilot for "Anna and the King" (the 1972 TV series) is on the 50th Anniversary DVD of The King & I, and while the main film has been beautifully restored, the TV episode looks like it was physically dragged to DVD all the way from Thailand.

And remember that Bridget Loves Bernie was announced by Sony, but mysteriously pulled.

MattPeriolat

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Matthew
Gee, and I thought I would be the only one to think of Anna and the King, how wrong I was.

As for other short lived 1970s series that I personally would like to see... I would suggest the Paul Lyndd Show and Swiss Family Robinson from primetime and the VERY short-lived Hot Wheels from Saturday morning, although I doubt any episodes survive.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
The Hot L Baltimore is on my wish list and has been for years. I'd snatch it up in a heart beat. Also the Martin Milner Swiss Family Robinson I'd pickup.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
There were TWO Swiss Family Robinson shows in 1976?? The Canadian one is coming to dvd, Swiss Family Robinson DVD news: Box Art for Swiss Family Robinson | TVShowsOnDVD.com but apparently not the Martin Milner/Willie Ames one: The Adventures of Swiss Family Robinson (1975) (a Titles & Air Dates Guide) . I never made this connection; when I saw the news item about "Robinson" coming to dvd, I assumed they were talking about the Milner one, which I actually watched. I thought I was simply mis-remembering the cast members or something. Now I've finally figured it out. Sheesh! Only took me 35 years...

Also from the mid-70s and hopefully coming to a BestBuy near you:

When Things Were Rotten (w/Dick Gautier & Dick Van Patten)
Paper Moon (w/Jodie Foster)
The Magician (w/Bill Bixby)

I also wouldn't mind seeing Anna and the King on dvd in its entirety. The posters above are quite right: the print of the pilot that was included on the King and I dvd sucked big time! The print is so dirty it looks like Yul Brynner is playing the King of Siam in blackface.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member

One of my favorite shows of all time. I wish it would have lasted at least 22 episodes:frowning:

heathjack

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Heath
I don't know if people know this but their was live action spider-man show in the 70's .

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen

Two episodes of "Gemini Man" were put together with some supporting material and released as "Riding With Death". It was shown on Mystery Science Theater 3000 during the SciFi era. It's out of print, but can be found on Ebay or Amazon. The two episodes feature Jim Stafford as Buffalo Bill, a would-be car racing, singing truck driver.

And I thought I was the only one who remembered "Sunshine". How about "Ball Four", a (way) toned-down adaptation of Jim Bouton's book about life in baseball. Bouton also starred.

irishsooner

Agent
Real Name
robert
Texas Wheelers-Mark Hamil, Gary Busey
Kolchak,The Night Stalker
Ghost story, aka Circle of Fear

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I'd add:

THE IMMORTAL (1970-71, pilot film + 15 60-min episodes) Starring Christopher George in a sci-fi variant on THE FUGITIVE

LONGSTREET (1971-72, pilot film + 23 60-min episodes) James Franciscus starring as a blind insurance investigator, with Bruce Lee as a semi-regular.

THE KOPYKATS (THE ABC COMEDY HOUR) (1972, 7 60-min episodes) Comedy/variety series featuring a regular cast of top impressionists (Rich Little, Frank Gorshin, George Kirby, Marilyn Michaels, etc)

GHOST STORY/CIRCLE OF FEAR (1972-73, 23 60-min episodes) Horror/suspense anthology, initially with Sebastian Cabot as host, produced by William Castle

DIANA (1973-74, 15 30-min episodes) A wannabe MARY TYLER MOORE-type sitcom, starring Diana Rigg

HARRY O (1974-76, 2 pilot films + 43 60-min episodes) David Janssen as a world-weary, down-on-his-luck private eye

Bob Hug

Screenwriter

I'd love to see HARRY O again (as well as Janssen's RICHARD DIAMOND series) . . . . maybe after THE FUGITIVE is completed on DVD??? Janssen was truly one of the great stars of the small screen.

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
The one that I would most like to see is the series starring Burgess Meredith and Hugh O'Brien and DOug McClure that came from the pilot Probe and had the series called Search. (Or Seach COntrol as it was called here.)

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
Since Warner's TV-on-DVD division is generally allegeric to releasing oldies, maybe the well-regarded HARRY-O could be marketed as a modest Time-Life "complete series" set.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Shirley Booth had a one-season return in "A Touch of Grace" with Warren Berlinger and Marian Mercer has her son and daughter-in-law and J. Pat O'Malley as her would-be suitor.

"I blame them electric blankets. In my day, it was either sex or shiver!" -- Grace on why she wasn't yet a grandmother.

Statskeeper

Second Unit
Real Name
Maureen
Since the name Doug McClure came up, I'll add another of his shows: The Barbary Coast, which co-starred William Shatner. It was an attempt at a Western in the vein of Wild Wild West, and lasted about 13 episodes in 1975.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks