What's new

Shopping for a remote (1 Viewer)

jrussell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason russell
So now that I have everything basically in I am looking to make things easy on my wife. By easy of course I mean one button operation. "Watch tv" and all the electronics needed to watch tv will come on and switch to where it needs to be. Same thing when she presses watch dvd or movie.

Im thinking of a Harmony. Either the Harmony 600 or spend a little more and go for a 700. Would like to stay under $150 if possible unless its needed. Love the look of a remote with a LCD screen and it would really help her out to...lol.

Jason

jrussell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason russell
Crap. I totally out this in the wrong section. Can a mod move this thread for me?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jason:

I wasn't sure of the best place for a thread on remotes...but I figured we had a good shot in this forum of getting you some responses.

BTW, I've got a Harmony 880 for my modest little system and just love it...and, maybe more importantly, so does my wife!

Keep checking amazon and you'll find some pretty good prices on Harmony remotes. Good luck!

Feel free to ask if you've got any questions about how Harmony remotes work.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I use the Harmony 800 in both my home theater and in my living room. I've programmed them so they function identically in both rooms but with different equipment. I can have a non-technical person running either system with a 1 minute tutorial.

I chose the 800 because of the LCD screen and no pre-defined buttons. I didn't want a "Watch TV" button since I have 3 DVRs and I didn't want one "pre-defined". My custom LCD buttons are labeled "Watch HR20", "Watch HR22" & "Watch DirecTiVo" so you know exactly which DVR you will get.

I'm looking at upgrading the home theater remote to the 880. The RF to IR feature will allow me to stop pointing the remote to the rear of the room to make changes.

jrussell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason russell
Does anyone here have the 1100 and if so how do you like it? A remote that cool under $300 is pretty appealing.

jrussell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason russell
Or better yet, how does the Harmony One do side by side with the 880?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Jason:

The last thing I want to do is drive you away from the HTF for your information on HT needs. But that site I linked above in Post #6 (remotecentral.com) has comparisons and explicit descriptions of each of the harmony remotes.

But once you've got what you're looking for...c'mon back here and be sure to let us know what you decide to do!

jrussell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason russell
Im still looking around at that site Mike but not seeing all the Harmony remotes listed. Only a few. I may not be looking in the correct place either lol.

Rich Allen

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich Allen
If it is between the 880 and the One, go with the One. I had an 880 and the buttons started to become unresponsive after just 2 years, an apparently not uncommon occurance and was told by Logitech that they don't do any service on the 880's anymore since they are older. I got a One and the buttons at first feel are a lot better. Not as stiff to begin with and the touch screen is pretty nice.

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was crazy about my DirecTiVo "peanut" remote and the 800 is the same shape. Fits my hand perfectly. It takes about 10 minutes to correct the unresponsive button issue. In fact have corrected all but one button on the 800 that my wife dropped into a glass of tea. A little fine grit sandpaper and a rear-window defroster-grid repair kit from the auto parts store is all you need.

jrussell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason russell
Picked up a Harmony one last night at Best Buy. Same price as Amazon and will play with it tonight :D

jrussell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason russell
Well the Harmony is controlling my Motorola DVR, Samsung (for now) TV and Yamaha receiver without any issues. I also replaced my Lutron dimmer with a IR Lutron today and the remote is controlling everything flawlessly.

So far I have to give this remote 5 stars.

jrussell

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason russell
I searched to see if there was a "official" harmony one thread but didnt see anything. I think there should be on. Seems like a popular remote. It's fine by me if a mod wants to change the title of this thread and make it a harmony one ask and answer thread haha

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks