What's new

Shopping for a "new" pre/pro (1 Viewer)

Peter Doten

Agent
Well, with both feet finally in the grave, I have to replace the Nakamichi AV-8 I was using as a Pre/Pro needs to be replaced. I am looking at spending $1500 max. I have no problem with buying used as long as it is a high quality item. Having said that, I would be more inclined to spend say $1100 on a new Outlaw 990 than something that might be "better" but is used. I was looking at picking up a used B&K Ref. 20 for like $350 but that deal fell through so I am back at square 1.

The other equipment that it will be used with:
Carver 505(?) 5 channel amp
PSB Century500i (front left and right)
PSB Century (center channel, older model)
Jamo SW410E (sub)
BIC Venturi 52's (rear)

I have been looking at the Outlaw 990 and NAD T163 for new stuff. Not sure what else would be good. Thanks in advance for the input.

-Pete

John S

Senior HTF Member
No responses yet??? I am surprised, so many of us have taken to using an AVR for our pre/pro duties these days perhaps.

Lee Distad

Stunt Coordinator
If you've got the dosh, I'd say go for the Outlaw. Besides, I'd really like to read a review from somebody who's got one.

Off Topic: I just retired my PSB 500i's a year ago after 8+ years of faithful service.

Carl Gaff

Second Unit
Never tried one but always heard good things about the Outlaw pre-pro. How about the Sherwood-Newcastle unit? I owned the previous model and thought it was great.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Why must you buy a pre-amp right now? Next year will more than likely be the dawning of new products with DTS-HD Lossless & Lossy, Dolby Digital Lossless, and Dolby Digital Plus (all with 8 channel discrete, high resolution modes), besides the newest version HDMI switching. These formats are available on both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

This is not a good time to be upgrading pre-amps with one or two new HD disc formats coming on-line in 2006 (dependant upon whether or not a format war will be everted) with these and other features that are necessary in new surround decoders.

SteveCallas

Second Unit
I think he has to replace it because his current one died. Dan has a point - if you could live with a low level receiver with pre outs for a year or so, you could save a lot of money. At the same time, I have heard nothing but good things about the new Outlaw.

ScottRCapt

Stunt Coordinator
There is a B&K Reference 50 on eBay right now for a Buy it Now price of $1450.00

B&K Reference 50

It's not my unit, I am just watching the sale from afar...

I suspect the Series 1 Reference 50's from B&K will be dropping in price quickly as the current owners upgrade to the Series 2 Reference 50 with PLIIx...

There is a great review of the new Reference 50 Series 2 on Home Theater Spot...

Good Luck!

Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks