1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Shopping for a "new" pre/pro

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Peter Doten, Aug 4, 2005.

1. Peter Doten

Peter Doten Active Member

Well, with both feet finally in the grave, I have to replace the Nakamichi AV-8 I was using as a Pre/Pro needs to be replaced. I am looking at spending $1500 max. I have no problem with buying used as long as it is a high quality item. Having said that, I would be more inclined to spend say $1100 on a new Outlaw 990 than something that might be "better" but is used. I was looking at picking up a used B&K Ref. 20 for like $350 but that deal fell through so I am back at square 1.

The other equipment that it will be used with:
    Carver 505(?) 5 channel amp
    PSB Century500i (front left and right)
    PSB Century (center channel, older model)
    Jamo SW410E (sub)
    BIC Venturi 52's (rear)

I have been looking at the Outlaw 990 and NAD T163 for new stuff. Not sure what else would be good. Thanks in advance for the input.

-Pete

2. John S

John S Well-Known Member

No responses yet??? I am surprised, so many of us have taken to using an AVR for our pre/pro duties these days perhaps.

3. Lee Distad

Lee Distad Well-Known Member

If you've got the dosh, I'd say go for the Outlaw. Besides, I'd really like to read a review from somebody who's got one.

Off Topic: I just retired my PSB 500i's a year ago after 8+ years of faithful service.

4. Peter Doten

Peter Doten Active Member

Anyone else? Adcom, used Rotel?

5. Carl Gaff

Carl Gaff Well-Known Member

Never tried one but always heard good things about the Outlaw pre-pro. How about the Sherwood-Newcastle unit? I owned the previous model and thought it was great.

6. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Well-Known Member

Why must you buy a pre-amp right now? Next year will more than likely be the dawning of new products with DTS-HD Lossless & Lossy, Dolby Digital Lossless, and Dolby Digital Plus (all with 8 channel discrete, high resolution modes), besides the newest version HDMI switching. These formats are available on both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD.

This is not a good time to be upgrading pre-amps with one or two new HD disc formats coming on-line in 2006 (dependant upon whether or not a format war will be everted) with these and other features that are necessary in new surround decoders.

7. SteveCallas

SteveCallas Well-Known Member

I think he has to replace it because his current one died. Dan has a point - if you could live with a low level receiver with pre outs for a year or so, you could save a lot of money. At the same time, I have heard nothing but good things about the new Outlaw.

8. ScottRCapt

ScottRCapt Well-Known Member

There is a B&K Reference 50 on eBay right now for a Buy it Now price of $1450.00

B&K Reference 50

It's not my unit, I am just watching the sale from afar...

I suspect the Series 1 Reference 50's from B&K will be dropping in price quickly as the current owners upgrade to the Series 2 Reference 50 with PLIIx...

There is a great review of the new Reference 50 Series 2 on Home Theater Spot...

Good Luck!

Scott