What's new

SHOCKED: Movies that don't have special editions yet (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I've been waiting for years for a Special Edition of "Streets Of Fire". I read a report about 5 years back that they were working on one, and I was so excited that I typed out my own version of the "Hallelujah Chorus" to celebrate how happy I was.

Unfortunately, it never happened. Instead, we saw the release of at least 4 versions each of the first 3 "American Pie" movies as well as double and even triple dipping on other titles.

I hope that there will eventually be an SE for "Streets Of Fire".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

And I still hold out hope for an SE of "Dick Tracy" as well.

darkrock17

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andrew McClure
MGM needs not a 2 Disc Special Edition, but a 3 Disc Special Edition for It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World.

Beetlejuice better get a prety well put together 20th Anniversary Edition next year, cause this movie has soo much that could have hours and hours of special features.

Wait Until Dark, Audrey Hepburn's best film ever should of goten a 40th Anniversary Edition treatment this year, but WB passed on it, poor Susy.

Empire Records needs a new special edition, just because this movie is soo good and is a 90's must have.

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
So still no word yet on whether the Road Warrior HD SE release is coming to SD DVD, huh...? :frowning:

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
Cul de Sac
Repulsion
Rosemary's Baby
Chinatown

Excalibur
The Emerald Forest
Beyond Rangoon

The Petrified Forest -- paired with the remake Bogart produced as a live teleplay in 1952, with Henry Fonda and Lauran Bacall replacing Howard and Davis.

To Have and Have Not -- paired with The Breaking Point a 1950 remake starring John Garfield and directed by Michael Curtiz, and based on a different draft of the same novel.

Islands In the Stream -- Hemingway's final draft on To Have and Have Not paired with a documentary on Hemingway and a Hemingwayesqe commentary by somebody involved in the making of it.

A Doll's House (1973) with Jane Fonda and directed by Joseph Losey. A commentary by Jane could turn this into an actor's clinic. Talk about acting.

All Ingmar Bergman films demand special editions:
The Magician -- input from Max Von Sydow
The Devil's Eye
Brink of Life
All These Women
The Rite
The Touch -- commentary by Elliot Gould?
Face to Face
From the Life of the Marionettes
After the Rehearsal -- commentary by Lena Olin ?

The Long Riders -- commentary by Walter Hill please, and by the Keach brothers on how they wrote this historically intelligent script, with a documentary on the real James brothers and the history behind the film. On of the best and all-time great American westerns.

Blood on the Moon -- Robert Wise's noir western, include his commentary from the laser disc.

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor

It seems that Criterion may be preparing 'Face To Face', as this is apparently one of the titles included in their recent licensing deal with Paramount. To my mind, this is the greatest of the Bergman films not yet released on DVD. I hope they will include the full TV version, as they did with 'Scenes From A Marriage'.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
Any word or update on SE of some of the great 80s comedies like "Weird Science" or "Planes, Trains & Automobies"?
It's amazing that some of these films (Beetlejuice also comes to mind) are neglected like this.

Richard--W

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard W
That is good news.
I'm sure Criterion will do it right, if in fact they are doing it.
Meanwhile I would buy the Dutch DVD if it had English subtitles.

Van594

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Scott

Yeah I've been holding off on Beetlejuice, thinking, this year they have to have a special edition...it's the type of movie that's perfect for it. It's kind of a head scratcher wondering why they haven't considering all the crap that does get special editions.

For that matter I'm surprised they never made a Beetlejuice 2...it's not like Michael Keaton has been over worked the last 5 years or so. I would have liked to seen the character for more then half a movie.

Ed Francisco

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to resurrect an old thread - but I just had to chime in - we need a Singles SE DVD. Even the crappy Cameron Crowe movie "Elizabethtown" had a better DVD treatment.

And I agree with Beetlejuice, True Lies, and The Rocketeer.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I guess the main two which come to mind for me are...

Cool Hand Luke and

Ordinary People.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Mallicks THE NEW *WORLD*

I was almost run out of here on a rail because I mistakenly typed THE NEW *LAND* The 2-part Swedish film featuring Max Von Sydow.
Gads

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

The current one's probably as good as it'll get given Malick's aversion to extras and the spotlight. The DVD's documentary is really quite informative...

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit

There was a script for it. Kevin Smith talks briefly about it on An Evening With Kevin Smith. It was called Beetlejuice Goes Hawaiian. I'm glad it wasn't made.

I want:
Leaving Las Vegas
Adaptation.
Dick Tracy
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles
Beetlejuice
Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome
Escape From L.A. (and every other Carpenter film that doesn't have at least a commentary)
Braindead (aka Peter Jackson's Dead Alive)
True Lies
The Last Action Hero

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks