What's new

SHOCKED: Movies that don't have special editions yet (2 Viewers)

John*P

Second Unit
Better Off Dead
The Breakfast Club
Sixteen Candles
Weird Science
Planes, Trains and Automobiles
Uncle Buck
Teen Wolf
Revenge of the Nerds - (currently being remade, so we might get an SE to coincide with the film's release)
Adventures in Babysitting - (also being remade, and hoping very much for an SE)

and while I'm not exactly a huge fan of either, I'm surprised that "10 Things I Hate About You" and "She's All That" haven't been given the SE treatment yet...they're two of the more popular modern teen movies...

Mark Hawley

Second Unit
Halloween II
Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers

Given the amount of material ready (scenes from the TV version of II, and the "Producers Cut" of Curse), coupled with the success Anchor Bay has had with the original, 4 and 5 (God knows they keep re-releasing them), it's a wonder Universal (for II) and Miramax (for Curse) hasn't gotten around to this yet. At least they could let Anchor Bay do special editions of these movies.

Dave Simkiss

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Simkiss
Excalibur deserves a SE, badly. I know R1 got a commentary, but here in R2 land we got a bare bones. A 2 disker with an indepth making of, deleted scenes etc would be top of my purchase list.

Also Scary Movie has a pretty good SE over her in R2.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
The titles that really gall me right now as far as R1 is concerned are the first two "Man With No Name" movies: "A Fist Full of Dollars" and "For a Few Dollars" more. Both are non-anamorphic and "bare bones" in their R1 configuration; and yet it's my understanding that both have been available for almost a year now as 16:9 anamorphic Widescreen Special Editions in other regions.

I was also going to mention "True Lies", but I see that someone beat me to it.

As far as I'm aware, the original "City Slickers" is only available in a "bare bones" configuration. That's pretty *shocking* to me. At least the A/V quality of the current disc is pretty nice.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
There's always the possibility of going multi-region to obtain alot of these titles. Why be limited by region lock-out for certain titles? I'm mostly sticking to my native signal format for the major of most releases out there, NTSC, and the occasional infrequent smatterings of PAL versions.

For a Few Dollars. Here's what the Region 2 Japan NTSC Ultimate Edition has: (from dvdcompare.net)
Extras:
DISC ONE
* The Film
Extras:
Theatrical Trailer

DISC TWO
"A New Standard" - documantary (20 mins)
"Back For More" - documentary (7 mins)
"Tre Voci / Three Voices" - documentary (10 mins)
"Restoration Italian Style" - featurette
"The American Release Version - Extended Scenes" - featurette
"Location Comparisons" - featurette
12 Radio Spots
Double Bill Trailer:
- "Fistful of Dollars" and "For a Few Dollars More"
Collector's Slideshow Photo Gallery
Bonus Trailers: “The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly”, “The Magnificent Seven”, “Open Range”, “Walking Tall” and “Species 3”
Subtitles:
English and Japanese
Picture format:
2.35:1 Anamorphic NTSC
Soundtrack(s):
English DTS 5.1
English Dolby Digital 5.1
Japanese Dolby Digital 2.0 mono
Italian Dolby Digital 2.0 mono
Case type:
Digipak

No more shall be said.

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
Technically, Bram Stoker's Dracula does have an SE - a lavish Criterion laserdisc that I own.

My number one film in need of a special edition...Heavenly Creatures.

--Jefferson Morris

Tim_Prasuhn

Stunt Coordinator
Excalibur definitly...if the longer cut of the film still exists (i've read the script for it...some new sequences, but mostly significant extensions...been while, though, specifics are hazy), bring it on. Seem to recall an SE is coming, but I cant remember whats on it.

2010- c'mon, at least give us an anamorphic transfer. It still has some of the more impressive visuals for science fiction in mid eighties (jetting over Io to the Discovery, then sort of zero-gee rapelling to the airlock...i'm still impressed)

Ravenous- Decent features on it already...but its an OLD OLD transfer. Its mentioned in the commentary that there were some serious trims for violence...put 'em back in?

Strange Days- considering the cast, the producer, etc...yeah, its time for something decent. Love the movie despite some flaws (its almost too short for the story; its relentless in its pacing to the point of viewer fatigue, which is never good)

Dark City- Give Proyas the money to finish his directors cut. Just having the completed film would be special enough.

Needful Things- Passable film, but the longer cut needs to be seen. Adds the charater depth King's works are known for. Lousy DVD.

Dolores Claibourn- ... it just deserves better.

The Fountain- I'd love an Actors commentary, just to hear Hugh Jackman talk about playing three versions of the same person.

Solaris- if Schizopolis can get a Criterion edition, then this can get a special edition. Soderberg has said that for every shot in the film, there were two that didnt make it...so i'm sure there are mountains of unused footage they could put on the disc.

Vanilla Sky- they've done better DVDs for far less sucessful films. Would be interesting to hear more about how Cameron Crowe tackled a film pretty far out of his traditional zone.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
halloween III ?

isnt that the one that doesnt have michael myers in it?

donnie_d

Stunt Coordinator
i don't understand what ppl mean when they say "we need a Vanilla Sky SE!" the current disc is fuckin' awsome! and it has enough extras.plus, it has one of the BEST looking menu screens EVER.anyways, i would like SEs of these:

Great Expectations (1998)
Velvet Goldmine
Elizabethtown
Open Your Eyes
Nil By Mouth

i also would like to mention that i hope Criterion buys the rights to every single Foreign film owned by BV,they are too good to be owned by a rubbish company like BV.titles like "Like Water for Chocolate","Malena","Lovers On The Bridge" etc..

i also want a Shattered Glass 6-disc boxset with all the fabricated articles! :)

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Oh, and I know The Road Warrior has come out in HD, but any word on that edition coming to SD (like I heard it was gonna)?

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
IVe pretty much given up on the likes of Road Warrior and Excalibur. Now that I have the HD versions, Ive pretty much accepted its as good as its gonna get with thsoe titles.

Its too bad Dick Tracy never got a SE becuase its the perfect title for one. It wouldve been cool to see a doc, makeup,design,etc for that film.

One film Id love to see revisited is Nixon. The second release wasnt even given a 16x9 treatment.

And Im still waiting for that Dead Presidents Dir Cut.

Definitely way past due on a Strange Days SE

Ocean Phoenix

Supporting Actor
I just want to know what happened to the Adaptation special edition. I heard it was advertised on the "Work Of Spike Jonze" DVD, but haven't heard anything about it since. The movie is 5 years old now. I hope we don't have to wait another 5 years for an "anniversary edition".

Bruce Morrison

Supporting Actor
I hope Paramount have a 40th Anniversary SE of 'Rosemary's Baby' on their schedule for next year - the current DVD is not only a bare bones edition but also an abysmal transfer.

Sony should have released a 50th Anniversary SE of 'Paths Of Glory' this year, but surprise, surprise, they missed the boat. And it's unbelievable that they still haven't done a SE of 'The Apartment' - another classic film released on a bare bones DVD edition with an awful transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks