What's new

Shirley Temple Passed Away at 85! (1 Viewer)

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
She will be missed. She was a Sunday morning staple in my house when I was a kid. RIP Shirley.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
Her importance in movie history can not be overstated; it is hard for contemporary audiences to know how big she was in her prime. It is also refreshing to know that she managed to have a successful and happy life post her fairly early retirement.

My favorite role of hers is also one of my favorite films "Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer".

RIP

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I wonder if her show ST's Storybook will ever get a complete release. don't read as "boring", but I find those a pleasant way to nod off to sleep. It's like being 4 years old and being told a nice story as you fall asleep.

I'd planed to pick up the current release, but I'm wondering if more stuff will come out since she is gone..

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
What an incredibly talented little girl. Glad she had a long and fulfilled life. RIP.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Such an amazing career in and out of “the film business” makes one wonder what could have been had she not “retired from films” in 1950. Could she have been the ingénue of the 50? She definitely had the look.

Sad at the loss for her family; the passing of another legend of the silver screen. Who’s positive legacy needs to be introduced to this generations children and parents.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I'm saddened by this news. I remember when I was a kid my mom refused to buy the Elizabeth Taylor movie I wanted for me so instead she got me a more age appropriate Shirley Temple movie ("The Little Princess"), and I've loved her ever since.

It's incredible to think of the number of generations who have grown up being entertained by her films.

She'll be missed by the young at heart everywhere.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
As president (FD) Roosevelt said (it was during the depression): "It is a splendid thing that for just fifteen cents an American can go to a movie and look at the smiling face of a baby and forget his troubles."

And we could continue to smile a lot at her face when she slowly got older.

RIP, Shirley Temple. Thanks.

Cees

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
Robert Crawford said:
I'm shocked that more people haven't responded to this thread.
What can we say? It's like we've all lost the last link to our youth, regardless of how old (or young) we are. I'm also sad that she never took the time to sit down and record audio commentaries on her films or even just a few short introductions. I've always been puzzled by that fact.

All I can say at this point is Baby, Take a Bow.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Rob_Ray said:
What can we say? It's like we've all lost the last link to our youth, regardless of how old (or young) we are. I'm also sad that she never took the time to sit down and record audio commentaries on her films or even just a few short introductions. I've always been puzzled by that fact.

All I can say at this point is Baby, Take a Bow.
What her movies meant to you when you watched them as a child.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
She was an incredible gift to the nation at a time when it REALLY needed her. And she had a great life after Hollywood. A remarkable achievement in itself. Rest in peace, Mrs. Black. And thank you.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I actually didn't see many of her films as a child, as the mid-30s's Fox package didn't play in my area until I was well into my teens and home video was not around yet. But her impact on the culture was inescapable and indelible. She was as iconic as Mickey Mouse and just as immortal.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
I recall reading on her website that she was at work on the second volume of her autobiography and was looking to sign with a publisher. I was really hoping that she would do a book signing or something so I could tell her just how much her films have meant to me, although I'm sure she heard that a million times. I'm disappointed that now I won't have that opportunity. I hope she completed the book so it can at least be published posthumously.

There's actually a book due out this April called, "The Little Girl Who Fought the Great Depression: Shirley Temple and 1930s America". Perhaps it will be pushed up. I look forward to reading it.

Jonathan Burk

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Burk
I just read her excellent autobiography a year ago. Such a strong, kind person, who forgave so many people for so many things (including her dad who so badly mismanaged and lost her money). That book only covers up to the early 1960's (it was written in 1988), and as Andrew notes above, she said she was working on the follow up to cover her years of diplomatic work. I hope there is something that can be published.

Hopefully AMPAAS can give her the proper amount of time to honor her memory at the Oscars. And maybe one day soon we'll have more than "Fort Apache" on blu-ray :rolleyes:

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Jonathan Burk said:
And maybe one day soon we'll have more than "Fort Apache" on blu-ray :rolleyes:
My Mom (and many others, I'm sure) are still waiting for Our Little Girl, The Poor Little Rich Girl and a few others to get DVD releases, let alone Blu-ray.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Andrew Budgell said:
I recall reading on her website that she was at work on the second volume of her autobiography and was looking to sign with a publisher.
The sequel to her autobiography was mentioned at the time that book was published back in 1988. It fact it was promoted as volume 1. I am guessing it was delayed or postponed by her appointment as ambassador to Czechoslovakia from 1989 to 1992. I am also guessing there was less interest in a volume dealing with period after she stopped acting if the publisher of the first volume passed on the sequel.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Garysb said:
The sequel to her autobiography was mentioned at the time that book was published back in 1988. It fact it was promoted as volume 1. I am guessing it was delayed or postponed by her appointment as ambassador to Czechoslovakia from 1989 to 1992. I am also guessing there was less interest in a volume dealing with period after she stopped acting if the publisher of the first volume passed on the sequel.
I didn't realize it was in the works for so long. Thanks for the information. I need to get my hands on a copy of volume one.

In the meantime, I plan to watch one of her films tonight in her memory. I'm thinking Heidi or The Little Princess, which are my two favourites.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
She was always one of my favourites and it's always worried me that so few of her films can boast even half-way decent transfer treatment. Blu ray treatment is the only appropriate memorial .. starting of course with 'Bright Eyes' and the famous airplane song! 'Heidi' too of course...She certainly outlived her most famous critic, Graham Greene!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks