What's new

Shirley Temple Collection (1 Viewer)

Wer4God2

Auditioning
Real Name
Sue
Hi,

I'm new this forum, so bear with me please. I just bought, via Amazon, Shirley Temple Collection on DVD. It was to replace the VHS collection my mother left to me when she passed away. As I sorted through the videos I notice that Poor Little Rich Girl was not a part of the DVD collection. I'm shocked! My mother introduced me to Shirley Temple and we would sit and watch her shows almost every night before retiring to bed. Does anyone out there know of where I can get this one on DVD? I donated my VHS collection to a granddaughter of a coworker of my husband, so she can continue on enjoying one of America's Sweethearts: Mrs. Shirley Temple Black. Thank you

Escapay

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Albert Gutierrez
Hi Sue.

I'm assuming the collection you're talking about is the "Little Darling" collection released last year? The collection simply gathers the six collections originally released between 2005 and 2008, which encompass 18 of her films. As a result, it does not include the following six films, which Fox never released to DVD:

Managed Money (1934)
Change of Heart (1934)
Now I'll Tell (1934)
Our Little Girl (1935)
Poor Little Rich Girl (1936)
Ali Baba Goes to Town (1937)

As you can see, Poor Little Rich Girl is included among the six titles. Hope that helps. :)

Perhaps Fox will see it fit to release these titles in their burn-on-demand "Cinema Archive" series.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
I don't know why Poor Little Rich Girl wasn't included in the collection you purchased. It doesn't seem to be available on DVD in the USA .If you go back to Amazon, and go to Amazon UK there is a DVD version of that movie avaiable from England In the PAL format , but then you need an all region DVD player to play it.You can find one online for about $100.00 I don't know if you want to go to that expense but I figured I'd let you know about that option. Hope this helps .

Miguel M Santos

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Miguel M Santos
LouA said:
I don't know why Poor Little Rich Girl wasn't included in the collection you purchased. It doesn't seem to be available on DVD in the USA .If you go back to Amazon, and go to Amazon UK there is a DVD version of that movie avaiable from England In the PAL format , but then you need an all region DVD player to play it.You can find one online for about $100.00 I don't know if you want to go to that expense but I figured I'd let you know about that option. Hope this helps .
I am not sure where you got the $100.00, but Amazon.co.uk currently sells the PAL DVD either for £12.99 (about $20) or £6.77 (around $10.00), depending on the edition (both by Fox) plus postage to the US.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The film does show up occasionally on TCM and FMC, but the DVD-r that I made is not a great transfer. That may be why Fox never put it out on DVD. It is full of dirt and damage.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Miguel M Santos said:
I am not sure where you got the $100.00, but Amazon.co.uk currently sells the PAL DVD either for £12.99 (about $20) or £6.77 (around $10.00), depending on the edition (both by Fox) plus postage to the US.
I think the $100 figure referred to a multi-region player, not the film. Although players with hackable codes can be purchased for about half that figure.

JoHud

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Hudak
I've only been able to find colorized versions of Poor Little Rich Girl. Do any of those retailers sell it in B&W? I don't mind if it's a lackluster transfer as long as it's not colorized.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
JoHud said:
I've only been able to find colorized versions of Poor Little Rich Girl. Do any of those retailers sell it in B&W? I don't mind if it's a lackluster transfer as long as it's not colorized.
My guess is that your best bet is to buy the old VHS and convert it to DVD. Poor Little Rich Girl is one of Shirley's best films and it's a shame it's not available. My guesses as to why would be either rights complications with the story (Mary Pickford made a film called Poor Little Rich Girl) or with the music. Nevertheless, during the Fox poll, I kept requesting that they release Poor Little Rich Girl on blu ray. It really deserves something.

LouA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Antonicello
Miguel M Santos said:
The $100.00 would be to buy an all region DVD player rto play the PAL sytem disc which won;t pplay in US NTSC palyers.

Mike*HTF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Poor Little Rich Girl and Our Little Girl have both been released in the UK.
Change of Heart has been released as part of 20th Century Fox's MOD series.
Now I'll Tell appears to be the only feature still unreleased somewhere in the world (I believe Managed Money was a short and Temple didn't appear in Ali Baba Goes to Town that I'm aware of although Fox has released this also in the US).

alistairKerr

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Alistair
Mike*HTF said:
Poor Little Rich Girl and Our Little Girl have both been released in the UK.
Change of Heart has been released as part of 20th Century Fox's MOD series.
Now I'll Tell appears to be the only feature still unreleased somewhere in the world (I believe Managed Money was a short and Temple didn't appear in Ali Baba Goes to Town that I'm aware of although Fox has released this also in the US).
I think that the reason Shirley Temple is mentioned in connection with "Ali Baba Goes To Town" is that she appears with other Fox stars as part of the "film premiere" sequence at the finale of this film. It looks like newsreel footage to me,
Alistair

Nick Eden

Stunt Coordinator
Got the UK release of Poor Little Rich Girl. Unfortunately, it is the awful colorised version and that version only. Such a shame.

WadeM

Supporting Actor
This used to be available in numerous editions on Amazon, none of which were official. It's beyond me that one of Shirley's biggest films hasn't been properly released in Region 1.

Tricia K

Auditioning
Real Name
Patricia Kelly
Hi,

I'm new this forum, so bear with me please. I just bought, via Amazon, Shirley Temple Collection on DVD. It was to replace the VHS collection my mother left to me when she passed away. As I sorted through the videos I notice that Poor Little Rich Girl was not a part of the DVD collection. I'm shocked! My mother introduced me to Shirley Temple and we would sit and watch her shows almost every night before retiring to bed. Does anyone out there know of where I can get this one on DVD? I donated my VHS collection to a granddaughter of a coworker of my husband, so she can continue on enjoying one of America's Sweethearts: Mrs. Shirley Temple Black. Thank you
You can go on Youtube and purchase the region 1 (colorized) DVD for $7.

Brent Reid

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brent
The home video situation regarding this film is unaltered since the hit 'n' run OP's request over five years ago. Fox's so-so quality 1980s colorized transfer is the only one yet issued:
At least all are dirt cheap. It's a pity that some stars seem to remain in vogue with studios and labels, seeing their catalogues endlessly restored and reissued, while others of similar stature are almost completely overlooked. Ho hum.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Speaking of Temple, I was reading one of the celebratory articles on the history of Fox in Variety (on-line) this morning and was surprised to find out that studio head Darryl Zanuck couldn't stand Shirley Temple. I don't know if it was the child herself he didn't like or dealing with her demanding mother than caused him grief. But I had never heard that before this morning.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks