What's new

Shield - Season 4 (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

I know it was a rhetorical question but what the heck? ;) You could make the opposite argument for any show shot for 1.78. Most shows are shot for two aspect ratios and they know that the vast majority of viewers are going to see a show at 1.33 when it airs but who wants a fullscreen version of Lost (for example) on DVD? The Shield is just the opposite of that, like nearly every show they shoot it at 1.78 but want it shown at 1.33.

Either way, it's a never ending argument like every Buffy aspect ratio discussion. :)

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
So you got widescreen releases in the UK? Goodie for you. I think that after releasing 4 seasons in fullscreen, the rest/last should also be made available in fullscreen, whether they do a widescreen version or not. They couldn't be consistant with the packaging, but they should at least be consistant with the video aspect.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Well I can buy that its the creators preferred aspect but I to have a feeling that the main reason is to keep the series TV safe so to speak. I have seen some camparison screens of the two adn I must admit I think this show looks so much better in the 1:78 format. Just my opinion and to each there own, of course with a series of this quality I will continue to buy them up like candy!

Ryan L. Bisasky

Second Unit
Also, that CD sucks. I picked up a copy and I'm very disappointed. I previewed all the tracks and none of the good songs I remember were even on there. I'd really like to know what that music was they used at the end of the pilot episode as they were getting ready to go on the raid. I think it was used more that once, but I wouldn't swear to it.

you mean "bawidaba" (or how ever you spell it) by kid rock. that was the song during that scene.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino
Most TV series that shoot on film are shooting Super35 these days and then deriving both a 1.33:1 and 1.78:1 frame from the original. Neither is the "native" or "real" aspect ratio. As with all Super35 there is a tendency to compose for one aspect ratio and "protect" for the other, but which that is on a given series can change from episode to episode depending on the director, or even from shot to shot. Shows are not only doing this for the (relatively small) HD audience of today but for the much larger HD audience that will someday be watching these shows in syndication - having a widscreen version "future proofs" them. (Which is exactly why Babylon 5 and Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman - of all things - became the first TV series to shoot Super35 in the mid-90s. They were looking ahead to HDTV - which at the time seemed a hell of a lot closer to a full-scale roll-out than proved to be the case.)

What should go on the disc is what the creative team thinks should go on the disc. We're not talking about an old TV series or a theatrical film which only had one (intended) aspect ratio. (And ask Robert Harris sometime about how much theatrical exhibitions of films have varied in aspect ratio, and how excessive some of the more aboslutist rants on DVD aspect ratios around here can be.)

Regards,

Joe

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

I asked Glen Mazzara's assistant yesterday and she said they were bumped up to 21 from the initial 13 episode order. They haven't been picked up for season 6 yet, but no one has said this is the last year FOR SURE.

Gord

Blu

Screenwriter
I am happy to hear that there are more episodes however with the extra shows I hope they don't start to dilute the strong storylines.

I would love for The Shield to be a regular show for years to come however if it is ended right I have no problems with it ending after 5.

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle

The way I understand it, FX is willing it to pick it up for some more seasons and the ball is strictly in the court of Shawn Ryan (the show's creator) as to whether or not this happens. Ryan is supposed to be doing another show for Fox as part of his recent deal with them, therefore I guess he'd be kind of stretched to do both The Shield and other projects.

Supposedly he is mulling it over and will decide if this is the final season soon.

While the show has been given more episodes this season, they will not air straight through. Rather 11 will air starting in January and the rest will air sometime after that maybe even in January of '07. Should be interesting to see how they do the eventual DVD release: if they split it up ala' Family Guy or if they wait till both parts of season 5 have aired.

Blu

Screenwriter
I hope they wait. The vol. 1-2 DVD sets just don't set my world on fire.

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
They should release the whole season on DVD early with a higher price tag and collect from the people that don't want to wait. Then drop the price after it airs.

Joseph DeMartino

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joseph DeMartino

I don't see why that would be a particular "stretch". Dick Wolf has had how many series on the air for how long? Anybody ever heard of Norman Lear? Aaron Spelling? It might be harder to launch two or more brand-new shows in a given season (because a producer tends to need to baby a show more in its first season or two until it finds its feet), but The Sheild is a well-established series with writers, directors and actors who all know the characters and situations extremely well and who don't need the show-runner to hold their hands every step of the way anymore. It is normal for someone in Ryan's position to have a half-dozen projects going at once (most of which will never make it past the outline or first-draft stage.) I don't think he'd need to shut-down an established and successful show that doesn't require his attention 14 hours a day just because he's starting a new one that does. Now he may decide for artisitic reasons to have the show go out on top rather than hang on for that fatal extra season or two, but that's a different matter. (And most successful shows do stay on the air for one or two more seasons than is good for them, the creative juices having burned out and everyone just showing up for a paycheck. Night Court anyone? Star Trek: The Next Generation?) I don't think The Shield is at that point yet, but after what amounts to a double-length fifth season it may be a lot closer, depending on where the plot takes us.

Regards,

Joe

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
He's still very hands-on with both shows, and I know he's stretched a little thin, but Joseph is right, Shawn has a lot of help on "The Shield." Kurt Sutter is the supervising producer now, and he's involved in pretty much every aspect of the show. It still freaks me out when I see him (he was the psycho Armenian).

Gord

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
I thought I'd chime back in on this thread and see if anyone is having any problems with this set.

I've been enjoying this set but keep running into problems with certain episodes freezing up (i.e., Back In the Hole). I checked my disc and it isn't scratched. My DVD player is old and recently turned 5 years old but it still plays pretty well and doesn't seem to have problems with other discs.

Is anyone else having problems with this set?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Well, I received and watched The Shield
Season Four
in a single week, in an attempt
to bring myself up-to-date and start watching
the show as it begins airing its FIFTH season
this week.

A friend turned me on to The Shield two
years ago and I have been an avid fan since. I
have the entire Season 1-4 collection on DVD.

A few thoughts about Season Four...

In my opinion, not the best season. In fact,
perhaps my least favorite season.

However....

I used to hate Glenn Close. Thought she was
a horribly boring actress, never liking her in
The Big Chill and even less in Fatal
Attraction

Season Four finally made me a fan. She was the
perfect candidate to bring aboard as Captain.
She was tough and ruthless, and I think that she
and Mackey worked very well together.

In the end, I was sorry to see her fate.

Looking forward to the Season 5 premiere tomorrow.

Sean Patrick

Supporting Actor
guys i just found this thread through a search (after posting another thread, sorry)-

i agree that seasons 1-3 were intended to be 4:3, but i'm just past the "widescreen" episode on the season 4 dvd's right now, and i really believe that this whole season was framed for 16:9.

many times throughout the season i thought shots looked massively cropped on the sides - and i never remember thinking that watching previous seasons.

when the widescreen episode started and the "previous scenes" began showing in 16:9, not only was it apparent that the scenes had been shot in 16:9, it also appeared they were framed perfectly in that ratio. from throughout the season! i know people earlier in this thread said that 16:9 wasn't intended for this season but as a photographer looking at those scenes, i really think this season HAS been framed for 16:9 and just not presented that way yet. not to mention that extended episode looked GREAT in anamorphic widescreen!

i know i might be way off base i am just stating my opinion on the matter and would prefer not to be flamed for it...

sean

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks