What's new

Sherbourn 5/5210 specs? (1 Viewer)

Guyza

Stunt Coordinator
I'm shopping for a 5-channel amp for ~$1500.
Looking at:
Outlaw, Parasound & Sherbourn.
Comparing specs along the way to help me make my decision.
After numerous emails to Sherbourn, I still can not get a spec sheet out of them for the 5/5210. They also have not responded to my question about warranty length.
Specs like damping factor, S/N ratio, slew rate, crosstalk, power consumption, etc.....
I see there's quite a few people here who like this amp so maybe it's all about the sound and specs be damned.
So far, Parasound HCa-2205at seems to have the best specs on paper but I can not compare Sherbourn.
Home Theater did a test on the HCA-2205at and the 5/5210 and raved about each. Power output on the 2205at dwarved the 5/5210 with 2 channels driven. All channels driven was a closer match.
Here:
5/5210 review
Here:
hca-2205at review
So....if anyone would be kind enough to post the 5/5210 specs, I'd appreciate it!
My cash is on the bar, drinks are on me.
Guy

Dan Driscoll

Supporting Actor
Sherbourn is a very small company and sometimes they can get busy and lose track of e-mails. I would recommend calling them directly, I've spoken to Ron Fone (President) a number of times and he was always very helpful.

WRT the power outputs, the Sherbourn is basically 5 monoblocks in a single chassis, while the Parasound is a shared power design. That means the Parasound can draw on the power reserves for all 5 channels, even when only driving 2. This is a more typical design type for multichannel amps. Because of the true monoblock design of the Sherbourn, it can only draw on the stored power for the channels actually being driven. This is a less common design that I believe was pioneered by Bryston.

In theory, the shared power design of the Parasound amp is better for reference level home theater listening, as it allows a channel being driven to maximum output to draw extra power from channels that are not being driven so hard. Also in theory, the monoblock design of the Sherbourn is better for reference level multi-channel music listening, because often several or even all channels are being driven to maximum output at the same time. In reality, very few people listen at levels even close to reference and both amps will deliver more than enough power on all channels.

As I've mentioned before, I have demoed both amps in my own system (along with the Rtoel RMB-1095) and chose the Sherbourn. I felt the Sherbourn was the most neutral and had the best bass response. However, I thought the Parasound and Rotel also sounded very good and I could easily understand that someone else would prefer one of them. Really, I don't think you can go wrong with either (or the Rotel), it is just a matter of which one sounds best in your system, to your ears.

Joefords

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe
I have a Sherbourn PT7000 pre-amp with remote and Sherbourn 5/5210 amp that have never been used. Looking to sell but don't know the best place to sell them or what this setup should go for. I inherited these. Any suggestions? Joe [ATTACHMENT=491]DSC04532.JPG (538k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT] [ATTACHMENT=492]DSC04531.JPG (566k. JPG file)[/ATTACHMENT]

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The PT7000 is based on the Outlaw 950 (or the other way around). The 950 usually sells in the $125-$150 range. The Sherbourn name might have been worth a few dollars more at one time but since they were aquired by Emotiva's holding company a couple of years ago it probably doesn't have the panash it may have had in the past. I'm not up on amps (never really was) but my guess is the 5/5210 has held it's value a bit better than the PT7000. You can try posting them on Audiogon but that site isn't what it used to be either. Ah, for the good ol' days. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks