What's new

Shazam (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Regulus said:
I took a look at what this series cost on "The Big River" and all I can say is OUCH! I'm Glad I got my copy while the getting was good.
I think Classic Media made a real blunder when they released a "volume 1" of isis rather than reissuing the complete set. I bet a lot of people waited, hoping for a volume 2, etc. to be listed, stalling sales of volume 1, then Classic Media figuring there wasn't enough interest.

They should be able to tell by the insane second-hand prices on Isis that there is, indeed, demand for the product, but only for the whole shebang.

Man, I still wish I hadn't been so complacent when Oldies.com were clearance-pricing these sets for under $10 each. I'd have made a killing!

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Classic44 said:
I was wondering since some time has passed now, how the DVD was received. Is there anyway to know if the DVD set was a successful venture for Warner Bros? I still enjoy watching it to this day. My grandson is crazy about it. So much so I had to order another set of discs for fear of losing the picture quality from playing them so much. Of course I ordered the special edition cover version again. (;
It has done extremely well. It was the top seller at Warner's(archive) site for many months. I'm sure WB is just as pleased as the fans are for this release.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I was real glad I'd picked up Isis when I did. ( Also, ARK II, Space Academy and Jason of Star Command.) I was confused as to why they didn't put out the whole thing. A similar release was done for The Buccaneers, the old show with Robert Shaw. I think there was a 30 episode set and a complete 39 set. Just strange... I only recently got the right one.

I have yet to pick up this set of Shazam. I have a home made set a friend made for me. But that isn't what I want. I guess I"m hoping for a sale.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Radioman970 said:
I was real glad I'd picked up Isis when I did. ( Also, ARK II, Space Academy and Jason of Star Command.) I was confused as to why they didn't put out the whole thing. A similar release was done for The Buccaneers, the old show with Robert Shaw. I think there was a 30 episode set and a complete 39 set. Just strange... I only recently got the right one.

I have yet to pick up this set of Shazam. I have a home made set a friend made for me. But that isn't what I want. I guess I"m hoping for a sale.
They usually have a few sales in the last couple weeks before Christmas. I think last year the best one they had was either 25 or 30% off with free shipping. The complete set could be had with that sale for just under $20.00.

Classic44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
I just bought my second set a couple of days ago off Warner Bros. site for $29.95 total with free shipping. There's a $5.00 off coupon code you can use and that's better than any deal you can get from any of the auction sites, because you typically have to pay shipping which puts you over this amount. I'm SO glad to hear the Shazam series has done really well. It certainly tells me there was a substantial following from the 70's that still cares for it today. On a side note, I got to meet Jackson Bostwick in person over the summer at a convention in Lexington, KY. He was a PERFECT gentleman. He enjoyed hearing what we had to say and unlike allot of celebrities from this era, he was not full of himself or acted like he was hard up for money before he talked to us. He appeared to be a well rounded person who had a healthy attitude about this show and appreciated the fact people sought him out just say 'thank you'. To be a fan of the show as a kid and then meet him almost 40 years later and walk away feeling like that same kid again (with my dignity intact) really speaks to the respect he gives both the character and his profession. You can't beat that. To anyone who has the opportunity to meet Mr. Bostwick, I would encourage you not to let the opportunity pass. He's the real deal.

Classic44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
I found this old article. It's an interview with Michael Gray, Tremayne, and Davey. After reading it, I can certainly say Jackson Bostwich brings allot more dignity to the show when he reflects on those days. There's a bit too much grousing going on with these people. I've always wondered why there were never that many interviews with these particular actors. Now I understand why. I think Jackson waves the flag proudly which (to me) is the professional and proper thing to do in these settings. Gray and Tremayne moaned about everything from working conditions to their pay. Hardly a thoughtful reflection on a Saturday morning kid's show.

http://www.networkedblogs.com/p/O4gBQ?ref=source

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Classic44 said:
I got to meet Jackson Bostwick in person over the summer at a convention in Lexington, KY.
Interesting! I wish I'd known he was there as that's in my neck of the woods (I live about 1 hr drive south of there). For those of you who don't know, I run a fan site for the show (that hasn't been updated in awhile) and have my interview with Botswick posted on there. Those who would like to read it can find it here: http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/shazam/bostwick2.html.

Hard to believe it's been 10 years now since I interviewed him (though all the Shazam-relevant info is as timely as ever).

Classic44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
AndyMcKinney said:
Interesting! I wish I'd known he was there as that's in my neck of the woods (I live about 1 hr drive south of there). For those of you who don't know, I run a fan site for the show (that hasn't been updated in awhile) and have my interview with Botswick posted on there. Those who would like to read it can find it here: http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/shazam/bostwick2.html.

Hard to believe it's been 10 years now since I interviewed him (though all the Shazam-relevant info is as timely as ever).
Oh that is great! I had seen this site but didn't know you ran it. Good to know. Great interview and I really like the site. Yeah, any complaints he had mostly came from the dismissal which, as far as I'm concerned, were unjustified since Filmation lost the case and had to pay him for the remainder of the show plus residuals. Clearly they weren't sympathetic to his injury and just wanted the show to keep moving.

And no disrespect to John Davey, but he was NEVER Captain Marvel in my eyes. Zero personality; Zero physical shape to sell the part; and zero acting chops to give a believable performance. Plus Davey had a noticeable gut and little feet. When I got to the shows on DVD where he took over, that immediately explained why I quit watching the series back then and why I have no interest in watching it without Jackson Bostwick today. Jackson IS Captain Marvel! He was in amazing shape and he believed in the role. Davey looked like a nearby carpenter they borrowed to keep the production running for us "dumb kids". Turns out we weren't so dumb. Plus I didn't care for Michael Gray doing the moral portions. His body language was always poor in those scenes, like he didn't want to do it. To me that should have always been reserved for Captain Marvel.

And I can completely see why Jackson has some friction with Gray and Tremayne. I mean they talked dirt poor about him in that other interview. But the "problems" they had seem to be more of a personal dislike than anything he ever specifically said or did to them. So I can completely understand his position when he says they talked behind his back. We as fans can see it first hand. That's sad.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
AndyMcKinney said:
I think Classic Media made a real blunder when they released a "volume 1" of isis rather than reissuing the complete set. I bet a lot of people waited, hoping for a volume 2, etc. to be listed, stalling sales of volume 1, then Classic Media figuring there wasn't enough interest.

They should be able to tell by the insane second-hand prices on Isis that there is, indeed, demand for the product, but only for the whole shebang.

Man, I still wish I hadn't been so complacent when Oldies.com were clearance-pricing these sets for under $10 each. I'd have made a killing!
Tell me about it. I remember the sets of Ark II, and Isis were going for $7.50 at Deepdiscount.com
I was in love with what BCI was doing with all these live-action Filmation shows, and planned on getting a second set of each just to have sealed for a backup copy in case anything ever happened to my other discs.
I missed the window, and now I'm paranoid whenever I break one of those sets out to watch. I really miss BCI. Who knows what other rarities they would have tackled next.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Classic44 said:
I found this old article. It's an interview with Michael Gray, Tremayne, and Davey. After reading it, I can certainly say Jackson Bostwich brings allot more dignity to the show when he reflects on those days. There's a bit too much grousing going on with these people. I've always wondered why there were never that many interviews with these particular actors. Now I understand why. I think Jackson waves the flag proudly which (to me) is the professional and proper thing to do in these settings. Gray and Tremayne moaned about everything from working conditions to their pay. Hardly a thoughtful reflection on a Saturday morning kid's show.

Very interesting read. Thanks for sharing :)

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
Whatever this shows flaws, much like other children's programming of that era, it had tremendous decency & heart behind it. Bostwick really sold the part without a trace of cynicism. Just very likable. I remember reading an article from maybe the 80's where he said he would have liked to play Superman. View attachment 6407 Great pic of Bostwick with 40's Superman star Kirk Alyn.

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
Ok that didn't work. Here's a link. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Q2_ID6hflJQ/TPaBcgRJ7RI/AAAAAAAACIg/SuLD9JuPqtY/s1600/kirk-jackson.jpg

Classic44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
Great photo! I really like that. Yeah, I remember hearing he wanted to be Superman. But after doing Captain Marvel I don't think I could have seen him any other way. His performance is SO iconic, all I would ever see is Shazam! I dare say no one will ever give a performance as good as his, regardless of whether they make a big film or not. Jackson Bostwick set the bar.

DaveHof2

Second Unit
Real Name
David Hofstede
Classic44 said:
Oh that is great! I had seen this site but didn't know you ran it. Good to know. Great interview and I really like the site. Yeah, any complaints he had mostly came from the dismissal which, as far as I'm concerned, were unjustified since Filmation lost the case and had to pay him for the remainder of the show plus residuals. Clearly they weren't sympathetic to his injury and just wanted the show to keep moving.

And no disrespect to John Davey, but he was NEVER Captain Marvel in my eyes. Zero personality; Zero physical shape to sell the part; and zero acting chops to give a believable performance. Plus Davey had a noticeable gut and little feet. When I got to the shows on DVD where he took over, that immediately explained why I quit watching the series back then and why I have no interest in watching it without Jackson Bostwick today. Jackson IS Captain Marvel! He was in amazing shape and he believed in the role. Davey looked like a nearby carpenter they borrowed to keep the production running for us "dumb kids". Turns out we weren't so dumb. Plus I didn't care for Michael Gray doing the moral portions. His body language was always poor in those scenes, like he didn't want to do it. To me that should have always been reserved for Captain Marvel.

And I can completely see why Jackson has some friction with Gray and Tremayne. I mean they talked dirt poor about him in that other interview. But the "problems" they had seem to be more of a personal dislike than anything he ever specifically said or did to them. So I can completely understand his position when he says they talked behind his back. We as fans can see it first hand. That's sad.
I didn't mind John Davey as much as others have, but clearly Jackson Bostwick was much better. He had enough of a boyish face to be convincing as the boy turned superhero, and an inherent soft-spoken decency that served the character well. I still remember the first time I heard him exclaim "Shazam!" to change back to Billy, as I nearly fell out of my chair - I don't he ever yelled on the show any other time.

What a shame that all the Isis crossovers were with Davey - would have been fun to see the original Captain Marvel with Isis just once.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Classic44 said:
Plus I didn't care for Michael Gray doing the moral portions. His body language was always poor in those scenes, like he didn't want to do it. To me that should have always been reserved for Captain Marvel.
Given how abruptly Jackson Bostwick was replaced (after the first two shows of season 2 were already in the can and production underway on the rest), I suspect Gray was brought in to do the season 2 morals to save time and/or keep the production from running under schedule. From my interview with Sid Haig (which I neglected to post on my sister Star Command site...I must fix this), he talked about how all the Filmation live-action shows were shot during 'summer hiatus', all using the same crew, all scenes on a particular set for the whole season were shot at the same time to save time switching scenery, etc., just so they could crank them all out in time, so my guess is after they decided to let Jackson go, they had to get a new guy in fast or put things way behind.

Classic44

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tom
^^^ That makes allot of sense. It was a bummer though for the kids. Plus it diluted Davey's role even more since he couldn't do the morals himself. It really added to that detachment that Jackson was no longer there. The show lost it's heart and then felt more like it was just following format without any real connection to the kids anymore. Once again I think it all goes back to Jackson's investment in the role. He made it more than it's producers ever thought it would be. I think that's why people enjoy meeting him today because he still embodies those qualities in the character. You can't fake that.

I liked Michael and Tremayne and I think they did a fine job. But it was really the excitement waiting for Jackson to show up as Captain Marvel that made it click. Waiting for Davey and then getting the moral from Gray just derailed the whole quality of the show that made me feel good both as a kid and as a adult. And I don't mean to just dump on Davey. He's always struck me as a nice guy and I've never heard him say a bad word about Jackson. But no one could replace Jackson. He was Captain Marvel. He took the role seriously for the kids and that's why so many people loved him then and now. Davey pretty much just took it as a job and that's how it looks on film. He never looked comfortable in the role and never spoke his lines with much conviction. So it all rang hollow. I needed more than the suit. I needed the heart and soul of the hero. Jackson created all of that himself.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Hi, Darby. Thanks for the kind words. I really appreciate them. And thanks, derosa, for liking my previous post. :) I also wanted to let you two and all others here know that I managed to find a used copy of Secrets Of Isis TCS for not too much money--a whole lot less, surely, than what I am seeing it go for in some places comparably. Now I can go ahead and place it under the tree after all next month. :)

dhammer

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Classic44 said:

I agree, what is the point of complaining in a forum like that. It is for adults who want to return to yesteryear and want to enjoy their fond memories. If you can't hide your bitterness than you should decline the interview. It is like 40 years ago. For God sake. Move on. The industry has changed greatly over the years. Back in the day actors didn't get paid a fortune for TV. Those actors had to work all the time like other people do at regular jobs. Today if you get on a hit TV show you can retire for life when it's over.

Scott511

Second Unit
Real Name
Scott
With SHAZAM! now remastered and streaming in HD on DC Universe, I would love to see a blu ray release of the series. I'm almost through season one, and the picture quality is incredible. The morals are intact so far on every episode, and they are NOT the lower quality versions that were included on the DVD.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks