What's new

Shazam! (2019) (1 Viewer)

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

i'd disagree- i think its exactly what is needed.
a good farmer knows the best crop to plant is the one his neighbors aren't.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
DC is definitely taking better care of their film properties lately so hopefully they wont cop out.

After a good start Marvel has made some real misteps (Im still suprised how much Fantastic4 sucked) so hopefully theyve learned something and will do it properly.

Along with Iron Man, Id love to see this movie happen and work.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
Speaking of DC properties. I am really surprised at Warner not getting something going beyond the big 3. I cannot believe we haven't seen a Green Lantern film. I know Flash is in pre-development with Goyer. But, lets get it going...of course with Ryan Reynolds as Flash. :)

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Honestly, going comedic (not slapstick, but rather with a heavy hand of humor throughout) is probably the best thing they could do for this property. Superman is considered serious, both as a hero and in tone. The easiest way to distinguish Shazam from Superman would be to dial up the humor and emphasize the guy-next-door qualities who happens to also be a secret superhero. This is going to be doubly tricky because Superman-as-Clark always has a slapstick and situational comedy overtone.

Greatest America Hero was slapstick, and would be way too far for Shazam. Saving the world and getting the girl would be too serious. There's a place in the middle where he can occasionally bounce off (or through) walls while chasing someone, where he can forget a spare costume is hanging on his bedroom door when his girl comes over, and where he can save the city but accidentally demolish part of the villain’s target in the battle. That kind of thing would add humor without losing the heroic elements.

Battlestar Galactica's success might be just what Shazam needs to be able to use his link to the gods; BG has put the greek and roman mythologies back into the current lore for a lot of folks who hadn't looked at or considered them in years. The gods link is a definite nice touch, but to dial those in without rendering Shazam "too out there" will be tricky for the writers. Maybe they could have the gods talk to him very very occasionally, or have him occasionally step into an emodiment of the gods (Zeus' wrath, Hercules' strength) for a dramatic moment.

Remember, they're not making it for the fans; they're making it for Joe Sixpack. Yes it sucks if you're a fan, and not just because we feel we'd crank out an awesome flick; but it's better to fix the studio's intentions in mind than to pretend they'll appease us and refuse to cater to the masses.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

I am trying to forget that. :rolleyes

And yet that is the example I am talking about. Warner has a great stable of heroes to choose from. And they do Catwoman...and a ridiculous half-assed version.

CoreyII

Second Unit
"i'd disagree- i think its exactly what is needed.
a good farmer knows the best crop to plant is the one his neighbors aren't."

Well Paul Scott, if they play Tawky Tawny up like Battle Cat (Masters of the Universe) or like Aslan (Narnia) or even like Detective Chimp (D.C. Comics), maybe, just maybe it could work, but I have my doubts. And I definitely don't want to see Uncle Dudley, hell I'd rather see Mentor in the Winnebago than see Uncle D's fat a$$ trying to squeeze into the red uniform.

Mary Marvel and Captain Marvel Junior would be a great addition to the potential film. They would also provide a good way to seperate Captain Marvel from Supes since I have a gut feeling that Supergirl will not be showing up in any of the possible future Superman flicks.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i'd love to see the Capt. Marvel family (minus the fat uncle). i would love to see the film have a light whimsical fantasy touch- as an antidote to all the sturm & drang we get with almost every other comic book property. as others have mentioned though, its hard to pull off. whats more likely is a sitcom style- set-up/punchline like Fantastic Four. If they could pull off real whimsy, i think it would have the possibliity of reaping tremendous rewards- a comic book franchise like that , that could engage younger(pre pubescant)viewers would be a great asset for the studio.
and an approach like that wouldn't neccesarily have to alienate older viewers either- hate resorting to more cliches but- the play's the thing. The best Disney movies have a way of captivating young and old.

i think one director who could handle the fantastical absurdity of a straight adaptation of the early Fawcett stuff, while still making a movie that could be enjoyed by adults would be Sam Raimi- obviously that ain't gonna happen though. but i could definitely see Raimi doing a movie where a character like Mr Mind was one of the villans.

and maybe not now, but at one time, i think Bruce Campbell would have made a delightful Capt Marvel.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
I've admittedly never read a whole lot of Captain Marvel, but I will say that I enjoyed his role in the Countdown to Infinite Crisis story (Day of Vengeance). One of the issues that leads up to that involves him and Supes taking on Eclipso, and I thought they did a really good job of showing the differences between the two. Captain Marvel also had a pretty good battle with the Spectre in that special too. I think they're relaunching a new CM title after the whole Crisis is over, and I'm definately checking it out.

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
I just don't think Cain has that presence. I never cared for his Superboy, I mean Superman. ;) I hope they go for an unknown.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i don't think 42 is too old.
Age conveys authority.

Warburton would probably be perfect, if they got this rolling within the next two years (and I don't care about his age for the sequels. get the first one done right first- keep your eyse on the ball).

Thomas Newton

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Newton

Would that extend to "Hoppy the Marvel Bunny"?

Better not say "yes" if Mr. Mxyptylk ("the one I told you about -- he's worse than 10 Monster Societies") is around. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks