What's new

Shawshank Redemption Deluxe recalled? (1 Viewer)

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
Was browsing through ebay and ran across Shawshank Redemption Deluxe version. All of the auctions say it's recalled, does anyone know why?

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The 2disc version, or the box set w/ 2disc, book, and cd? My local best buy (Smyrna, GA) still has both.

Harold Wazzu

Supporting Actor
The one with the soundtrack and book, take a search on ebay. They are going for at least $50, some for around $80.

Found this statement in an auction..."This set has been recalled due to licensing issues"

Mark_vdH

Screenwriter
It was retracted in Canada before release, and I believe that was because of licensing issues with the book. Perhaps the US release was also recalled because of the book. No major on-line stores still carry it...

Byron_T

Grip
I believe it was pulled due to the book. I don't know if the ones that shipped to stores were recalled but they are not shipping anymore. I have read that some B&M's still have a few copies, but that won't last long.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thx for starting this thread, Harold, and for the information, Mark and Byron. I was wondering why Amazon was out of stock yesterday while I was updating my Wish List.

As of about three weeks ago, one of my local Best Buys still had copies of the Deluxe. My local Costco never got it. DVD Empire currently lists it as "On Order."

Will have to swing by BB and get this sooner instead of later.

-p

StevenFC

Second Unit
I wasn't sure if I was going to go for the deluxe edition or not for this film. But since it was going the way of Ed Wood and I had planned on buying it eventually, I decided to pick it up. I think I got the last copy at my local BB. For me it's always a toss up between a SE and a DE or LE version. But I think it's definitely a recalled or discontinued item because it's not listed on the WB video page.

Oh, and guess what else I bought? You guessed it, Ed Wood.:laugh: I think I'm scarred for life from that sad episode.

Eric DiPiazza

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad I got this on release day then! I almost passed it up in favor of just getting the 2 disc set.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
As many business affairs/home entertainment lawyers as Warner employs, I'm surprised at this late stage in the DVD game that a title can get off the drawing board, much less into replication, much less into stores if there is such an apparently fundamental underlying rights/licensing issue. These guys get paid to vet the rights issues partly such that exactly these kinds of embarrassing, unfortunate, costly circumstances can be avoided.

Two copies were left at one of my three local BBs; picked one up. $35.99.

-p

Ruslan

Stunt Coordinator
Amazon has cancelled my order, saying it in no longer available. I guess they'll sell well on eBay now!

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I guess I was one of the lucky ones. My copy shipped from Amazon.com on the release date but Amazon (and all other sites) pulled or were unable to fulfill orders shortly after that point. Interestingly enough, most Best Buy stores had plenty of copies to sell at that time although I'll bet they started selling fast when it became apparent that this set was recalled/hard to find. By the way, I thought the book was a great companion piece on the making of this great movie and the CD soundtrack was nice too. Well worth the $2X I paid.

StevenFC

Second Unit
Well I wouldn't be too upset if you can't find the deluxe edition. You can still buy the 2-disc special edition. It has every extra on the DVDs that the deluxe edition has. You can always buy the soundtrack, and the book doesn't exactly knock my socks off. I have a feeling that the ebay buyers will be mostly collectors.

Like Paul.S said, it is a little surprising that these things aren't worked out beforehand. Maybe it'll get worked out quickly, and people that want it won't need to drop $50+ on ebay.

Shem Kellogg

Agent
i'm gonna clean out my local best buy, bury these in a time capsule, and then sell 'em on ebay in a couple years, right before people start buyin' blu ray. then with the money i get i'm gonna buy some shawhank hd-dvds.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Went to second local BB last night--they had no Deluxe Editions.

Thx again, Harold. As beloved as Shawshank is and as often as an appreciative thread has popped up over the years started by someone who just discovered the film, I'm surprised (and disappointed) that this thread has not gotten more heat/hits/posts.

Although his inbox is voluminous enough for me to not expect a reply, I've dropped Bill Hunt a line in the hopes of getting some more definitive word on why exactly this has happened.

-p

StevenFC

Second Unit
It's probably not gotten the attention that Ed Wood and others have received because you can still buy the special edition. But that's just a guess. Or maybe people are no longer shocked or surprised when it happens. It does seem to happen with some regularity.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I went to the Circuit City, Target, Walmart, and CompUSA in my area and none had any Deluxe Editions (CompUSA dropped DVD movies all together). I went to Best Buy and they had 6 copies so I bought them all. Great thing is if they don't sell for a profit on eBay I can always return them. If anyone wants a copy and can't find one let me know.

[email protected]

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Thank goodness I got me a copy! Woo!

Thats mighty neighborly of ya, Stephen. Did they happen to ask why you bought all those? :)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
It was release day and the lines were long so they didn't have much to say. I just wish i'd joined reward zone before the purchase!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks