What's new

Shawshank Redemption: 10th Anniversary 2-disc Edition - 10/05 (1 Viewer)

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
Just checked out the comparison at the Beaver, and I must say my personal opinion is that the new SE almost looks worse than the old edition.

The image is just slightly more detailed, but unfortunately it´s cropped both on the top, bottom and left side (screen cap of Notice of parole) and to dark brownish (evident if you look at the screen cap of the chair and table). Well, judge for yourself.

Dvdbeaver´s comparison of Shawshank Redemption

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
The parole screen cap and prison yard do look cropped but I can't see with the other shots.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Well, I thought my copy was not anamorphic (99 version), but this DVDbeaver says it is. I'll have to check when I get home. That was the main reason for wanting to pick this SE up, to get anamorphic. I would love to have the commentaries also, but with what appears to be a softer picture and cropped scenes, I guess I might hang onto my older copy for awhile, possibly rent to hear the commentaries

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
After looking at the pics on DVDBeaver (thanks Gary!), it appears that it's not as if they just cropped the whole thing the same. For instance, the first picture of Hadley appears similar, with the SE actually having a slightly more picture at the top if you look at his cap. Same with the second picture, look at the mouth of the flask. The framing of the gate looks exactly the same. The next couple of shots appear to be zoomed slightly, or at least cropped on all sides, although the shot of Andy sitting against the wall actually has more picture at the top and less on the other three sides. The final picture seems to have more info on the left and top, and slightly less on the right. These are all small differences, but they appear more deliberate than just a quick crop job on everything. With the added features (especially the commentary) plus the added stuff in the Deluxe Edition, I can't wait. The change mentioned earlier makes me even more excited.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Jesse: I agree with you. Based on Gary's screen caps, the "cropping"/framing is very inconsistent, and in one shot the SE shows more at the top (as you mentioned). To me, the side cropping on the SE is way more noticeable. And just from the caps, I find sharpness similar and I like the color look of the original better too, personal taste, I don't know which is more "correct". But this is just a few caps, and may not be extremely representative, it may be more like what DVDBeaver suggests. Geez, I sold my original and haven't opened the SE yet, will have to think about this some more, maybe re-buy the original...

Peter Svensson

Second Unit
But I must say there is very little improvement of the actual PQ. The more I look at it the less improvement I see. Look at the screen cap of the chair for example, the old edition shows more detail of the scratched surface than the new SE. I do think that Warner should have done a better job with this one.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
I'll reserve my judgements on PQ until I've got in my hands and playing. Still shots don't always give you a true idea of improvements.

CraigMAC

Auditioning
It's early I know BUT given that this is one of the all-time great movies (IMHO), the SE appears to be a major disappointment Someone is definitely not in tune with the public's desires.

David Galindo

Screenwriter
Umm...I have the SE, and its fantastic. Well worth picking up. We're not talking Back to the Future cropping here...plus in the commentary Darabont talks about how some subtle changes were made to the movie.

If you like Shawshank, you owe it to yourself to pick up this humble 2-disc set :emoji_thumbsup:

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I don't normally watch much bonus material, but what's on this set is great! Even with marginal PQ quality increase, I still don't regret picking this up based on the supplementary material.

If you just like the film, maybe you don't need to double dip. But if you love this film and crave supplementary material for this film (not just in general, but for this specific film) then I would highly recommend this double dip.

Stephen_L

Supporting Actor
I haven't gotten through the directors commentary completely yet, but Frank Durabont (spelling?) gives one splendid commentary. Very few areas of dead air, lots of inside info., as well as a charming, self-deprecating tone. Now I'm hoping he'll tackle the Green Mile next.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Ugh, I'm so torn. I really wish that this was up to par with Warner's other SE releases as fas as PQ. I do however love the film and may keep the SE. Good thing I didn't sell off the original version. :D

Tony Scello

Second Unit
I listened to the directors's commentary last night and agree with Stephen L. Frank Darabont does a very nice job in his first effort at doing a commentary. Mr. Darabont provides lots of great behind-the-scenes information/stories about all aspects of the film and filmaking in general. I found the track to be very informative and entertaining. Great stuff!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks