What's new

Shawshank Redemption: 10th Anniversary 2-disc Edition - 10/05 (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Thwe Drew Struzan artwork is very good - except for the fact that Tim Robbins looks very angry and bitter, something you could never accuse the actual character of being.

Other than that, it was a great cover design.

Ray_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
R. Ray Rogers II
I love Drew Struzan's artwork and am going to pick this up asap. Finally the movie I've loved is getting the release and treatment it deserves.

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
Excellent coverart. I'll be picking up the Deluxe version since I don't have the soundtrack and have never read the book. I'm glad the spoof is on there.

Michael Pakula

Second Unit
I was on DVD File just now and the featuers seem to be the same as mentioned on DVD Talk.
I just want to know why there is no deleted scenes?. Here are the details below.

" Warner will release the film in two new sets, both two-disc affairs boasting . a 1.85 anamorphic transfer, a Dolby Digital 5.1 surround track and new audio commentary track with Darabont. The second disc will feature not one but two new 45-minute documentaries, The Charlie Rose Show episode featuring Darabont and stars Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman, plus storyboard and still galleries, the "Shark Tank Redemption" short film spoof, theatrical trailers and ROM extras to be announced. A Deluxe Limited Edition three-disc set will also debut the same day, featuring a collectible slipcase package, a new book by Mark Kermode on the making of the film, and Thomas Newman's original soundtrack on CD. Retail will be $26.95 and $44.95, respectively. "

-Mike

Haden

Supporting Actor
Yeah, a lack of deleted scenes is disappointing. There's a rumored longer cut that has roughly 20-30 minutes worth of extra scenes. It supposedly aired on Showtime or Cinemax in the late 90s and that's where the rumor originated from. I've never seen it on basic cable (TBS only plays the theatrical version), and there's no mention of it on IMDB. So who knows if this half hour of extra scenes really exists...

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
So I'm guessing that the Charlie Rose interview hasn't actually happened and that it's more of a guessing game type thing. Anyone know otherwise?

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I agree, Andy is cold and distant. One thing I don't think I ever saw was actual anger or hostility, something that I see in the Struzan art work.

I usually like Struzan's art work, and on the whole I like the picture he did at the start of this thread, I just think Andy's expression seems wrong for the character. But on the wole it is very nice art work, and I would have preferred it to the actual art being used.

barry

Agent
I believe there was a longer cut of the movie or at least deleted scenes on the Laser Disc version a long while back.
Very disappointing not to include this.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I'm just happy that my favorite film is at least getting an updated transfer. To me, that's worth the admission price alone. I'm really looking forward to this one and will DEFINITELY be checking it out again when the theatrical re-release hits. Too bad I already bought the soundtrack a while back. Otherwise, I would have been all over the super-duper deluxe edition.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I think the original transfer was pretty good considering it's age. Warner's transfers even for older disks were always top notch. THe extras aren't really staggering and I think the next dip I would make on this movie would be a hi def one.

Sten F

Second Unit
Thought this info should be posted here.

Seems like the Region 2 UK will be getting even more special features as it will be released on 3-Disc set.

Disc One - Main Feature
· Audio Commentary by director Frank Darabont
· Audio Description track
· English HOH subtitles
· Theatrical Trailer
· Biographies
· Memorable Quotes

Disc Two - Bonus Features
· Hope Springs Eternal - A look back at Shawshank Redemption
· Shawshank The Redeeming Feature
· The Charlie Rose Show with Frank Darabont, Tim Robbins and Morgan Freeman (2004 US Broadcast)
· The Sharktank Redemption spoof
· Shawshank Stills Gallery: Tim Robbins, Morgan Freeman, Supporting Cast, Tim and Morgan
· Behind-the-scenes
· Shawshank Storyboards

Disc Three - Bonus Features
· Tim Robbins complete interview (Andy Dufresne, Inmate 37927)
· Morgan Freeman interview (Ellis Boyd "Red" Redding)
· Bob Gunton interview (Warden Samuel Norton)
· William Sadler interview (Heyward, Inmate 32365)
· Clancy Brown interview (Capt. Byron Hadley)

Source:DVD Times

Darren Gross

Supporting Actor
A longer cut of this film has never been shown on TV nor released on video in any format.

There were scenes cut from the film and Darabont discusses them in the published screenplay. I asked him about these at a signing once and he said he thinks they're terrible and he doesn't want them shown.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I too would love to get my hands on the R2 release. Why does R1 never get this kind off material???

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks