What's new

Shatner is denied director's cut for "Star Trek V" DVD (1 Viewer)

Frank@N

Screenwriter
One guy's Star Trek movie plan...

When it was announced that III and IV (?) would be re-issued using previous transfers, I blew off waiting for SEs and just bought used copies of both flicks for less than $10 each...no regrets here.

Knowing that V and VI blew hard, I also bought used copies as well (neither of these flicks is worth a $20 SE, IMHO). Both movies have their moments, but also more problems than worth mentioning. VI is considered by many to be a good movie, but doesn't it seem strange that all the groups that cannot trust each other and hate each other have no problems working together to destroy the peace treaty? Sounds more like the plot of the Star Trek cartoon episode...

Previous transfers of V and VI are non-anamorphic, but I suspect many (like my self) are adding these weak titles to their collection just for completion sake at the cheapest possible price

I don't buy into the idea of 'odd/even' Trek movies with regard to quality. IMHO, the series got progressively more lame from I-VI (more or less in that order).

I am going to wait for the reissue of VII, however, where the new cast gave the movies series a needed shot in the arm.

Seth_S

Second Unit
but doesn't it seem strange that all the groups that cannot trust each other and hate each other have no problems working together to destroy the peace treaty? Sounds more like the plot of the Star Trek cartoon episode...
Not really when you look at the big picture. Being a state of war helps certain bureaucrats remain very important within their government. Both the military leaders in the Federation and Klingon Empire realize that they will obsolete if a peace treaty is signed. So, a continued state of war will benefit their own personal interest thus they conspire to block the piece process. War creates strange bedfellows (the Russians and Nazis, who hated eachother signed a non-agression pack, so weird crap does happen).

While the conspiracy plot is a bit out there, it illustrates the extent to which our leaders will do things for their personal advancement and neglect society's needs. Also, seeing that the movie was made towards the end of the cold war, the filmmakers were asking the audience if the only reason that the cold war went for so long was because of what a few people stood to gain (defense contracts and power).

Anyway, I think Trek VI is arguably better then Kahn.

Larry P

Stunt Coordinator
I think Trek fans are just predisposed to hating all odd numbered Trek films.

V is probably my second favorite Trek film because I enjoy the intentional campiness and the ambition of the storyline.

I also thought it was interesting that Paramount released this a few weeks after Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade which has Jones finding The Holy Grail. Now how can you top that? Well by having your space faring hero find....THE ALMIGHTY GOD HIMSELF! LOL.

THE FINAL FRONTIER indeed.

It's old fashioned pulpy science fiction. Star Trek IV is one of the corniest films ever and everyone loves it but then criticizes V for trying to do the same things.

I think the idea here was that, hey, this is the 4th sequel, the actors are way past their primes, so why not have fun with it? Anyway, the series had already seriously dealt with the issue of aging very successfully in Wrath of Khan. And V did try to touch upon the bond these men had formed over the years.

I don't know why so many people have a problem with Scotty hitting his head. This is not the Enterprise he's been running since the 60's, this is an entirely new ship. Nothing works on it. It isn't sea worthy. I like the fact that they play on the fact that it is a new ship.

This was Star Trek Redux. It seemed like the powers that be probably feared the concept, or at least the crew was getting tired. So this was their humorous, pulpy spin on it.

There are of course inherent problems in promising an audience a quest to find the supreme being. They're going to expect something big. And not just special effects wise. You can't make the God too akin to any specific religious deity but yet you have to have it resemble one just enough so that it doesn't seem like the producers pulled a fast one on the audience.

I think the biggest disappointment I had with it was that the Bird of Prey's lasers had an effect on the alien-god-entity. I think a creature that powerful would not be so easily disposed of. They should have had the heroes find a way to trick it somehow. But NOT by having him beamed aboard the ship then blowing it up. Ugh.

I liked the idea of Kirks enlightenment at the end; the idea that we are all God, together. Unfortunately they didn't really establish why Kirk came to feel this way and so it comes off as just a throwaway line.

This was the last Trek film to be released during the summer and I think it shows. None of the subsequent adventures have been this ambitious. This film was all about the adventure. VI was a tedious political espionage thriller. And First Contact was a horror movie. It wasn't Star Trek, it was Aliens, but without any of the genius. Yes, Khan was dark too, but it was also very passionate, emotional and awe inspiring.

The problem Trek V had, in the end, was that it wasn't ambitious enough, damn Paramount to Hell for not giving this a bigger budget. If any Trek film warranted a bigger budget it was this one.

Obviously the effects of the Enterprise need to be replaced, they looked bad in 1989. The Arizona desert could be changed to make it look more alien and wondrous. And the alien, I don't know. I don't know what they could really do with the whole finale. There doesn't seem to be any way of actually adding things to the narrative.

Nothing was filmed of the heroes battling the rock demons, right? They're obviously not going to re shoot anything with the actors. I would have liked to have seen them riding the alien beasts instead of horses like was originally promised too.

Adding something to further establish why Kirk came to the conclusion that God exists inside of man (and alien) and to embellish a bit on what he meant by that would be great; but there's no way they could or would do that. But I think it's clear that any of the minor changes they make won't be enough for the Trek fans to give this any credit.

Rolando

Screenwriter
totaly un-related but I have to ask Steve Christou about his sig. is that from a movie? It's hilarious! where is it from?

Rolando

Screenwriter
Thanks, looks like I need to see that movie again. I am still laughing just reading it again...

Now back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
Larry P wrote:

Quote:

I think the biggest disappointment I had with [ST 5] was that the Bird of Prey's lasers had an effect on the alien-god-entity.

Ahem---a picky point. That's disruptors the Bird of Prey has, not lasers.

Quote:

I think Trek fans are just predisposed to hating all odd numbered Trek films. . . . V is probably my second favorite Trek film because I enjoy the intentional campiness and the ambition of the storyline.

I'm not sure how "intentional" all of the "campiness" is in this film. As far as a "predisposition to hating all odd-numbered Trek" is concerned, I doubt this. I think it's more like---and this goes to your comment on the film's "ambition"---being a matter of the following: Star Trek: The Motion Picture (a.k.a., Star Trek I (ugh!)) and Star Trek V are the only two of any of the big-screen versions of Trek to honestly depart from, or try to explore, "real science-fiction" themes (an artificial life-form trying to meet and "join" with its creator; the search for "The Creator" among the stars, and the like). All the other films have been one kind of action/adventure film or the other, or else just a "fish-out-of-water" comedy, like The Voyage Home (yawn). (Harve Bennett, the producer of most of the original-crew theatricals, said publicly how "bored" he was by ST: TMP. He had no intention to produce "science fiction".) So, the only two Trek movies with any real ambition "just happened" to be odd-numbered in the series. (The Search for Spock was made strictly for lucre, in my opinion, and it shows!).

Quote:

First Contact was a horror movie. It wasn't Star Trek, it was Aliens, but without any of the genius.

I honestly don't understand why people keep repeating this. They seem to forget that there is a pratfall "B" plot that takes place on Earth involving Zefrem Cochrane and half the senior crew, a middlingly weak comic attempt taking up almost half the running time of the film, which, in my opinion, detracts and distracts from whatever strengths the "main" story has.

Quote:

None of the subsequent adventures have been this ambitious. This film was all about the adventure. . . . The problem Trek V had, in the end, was that it wasn't ambitious enough, damn Paramount to Hell for not giving this a bigger budget. If any Trek film warranted a bigger budget it was this one.

None of the Trek films (except maybe the first) has been "ambitious enough". They've all---and that includes ST: The Motion Picture---played it safe by rehashing old Trek or other movie plots and ideas. "Safe Trek" is the byword for the movie series; one reason I long ago gave up expecting any kind of stretching of boundaries or broadening of horizons in the Trek movies. (Hell, even Voyager is better at it than the Trek films!) Your point is well taken, however, that this particular movie had very great potential to be something. I doubt seriously that it can be "fixed" now.

Marshall Alsup

Second Unit
Its the Star Trek characters, Kirk, Spock, McCoy et al that are the real magic of the Trek universe, doesn't really matter if the effects are a bit off, just to see those beloved characters go off on their last few adventures together, thats what makes each of the Star Trek movies special, there were only 6 movies with the original cast together, I'm not going to start being picky and say, "oh thats the one with the campfire bit I don't want that one", no I'm a genuine fan I want the set, good or bad.
I feel the same way. Its certainly not TWoK, but I like it none the less. I hope Paramount gives Shatner his chance.

-Marshall

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
I had the chance to speak with Mr. Shatner today and asked him about the rumor that he may be doing a Director's Cut of Star Trek V for an upcoming DVD release and he replied:

"Did it already."

Looks like it's happening.

Seth_S

Second Unit
So then the question is, what exactly are the changes? Was it as simple as adding and removing footage, or will the SFX be completely redone?

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
I had the chance to speak with Mr. Shatner today and asked him about the rumor that he may be doing a Director's Cut of Star Trek V for an upcoming DVD release and he replied:

"Did it already."
I can't believe that, recent reports on Cinescape, DVDfile, etc only indicated that Paramount was *beginning* to discuss the *possibility* with Shatner, nothing had been finalized yet.

Perhaps Mr. Blythe will pop in here soon?

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
The only way to really improve that movie is to put copies of "The Wrath of Khan" in the box instead.

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
I can't believe that, recent reports on Cinescape, DVDfile, etc only indicated that Paramount was *beginning* to discuss the *possibility* with Shatner, nothing had been finalized yet.
I asked him twice:

IGN: We actually got through most of our questions pretty quickly so I have one final DVD-related question for you. There's been a rumor going around lately that you may be doing a Director's Cut of Star Trek V for an upcoming DVD. Is there any truth to that?

William Shatner: Did it already.

IGN: You already did it?

William Shatner: Yeah.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
From FilmForce IGN
IGNFF: I had a couple of other questions to ask you as well... first up – what is the current status of the Star Trek V: Director's Edition DVD?
SHATNER: It's done and they're packaging it now.
IGNFF: Was there any reediting or special effects work?
SHATNER: No, they wouldn't give it to me.
IGNFF: So they wouldn't let you go back and do a special edition...
SHATNER: Nope... Nope. I was really upset by that. I told them that more people would buy the DVD – that they'd garner more money – by investing some money with me.
IGNFF: Word was leaked to the Internet a few weeks back that Paramount was considering allowing you to do a special edition, and the response from fans was extremely positive...
SHATNER: They considered it for about 5 minutes.
IGNFF: People were saying things along the line of, "You know, I would buy it just because of that." Personally, I've always liked the film and don't really understand the almost fanatical vehemence towards it...
SHATNER: Yeah, some people criticize it – and then there are a number of people like yourself who saw it. The big problem was the ending, and I just didn't have any money. Nobody guided me properly... I say that on the DVD. I needed some help and I didn't get it.
IGNFF: What are the changes you would make, if you were directing that film today?
SHATNER: Mostly the ending. I would have made an ending. There was no ending.
IGNFF: If Paramount had given you the money to do a special edition DVD, is the footage available – was the footage shot – to be able to redo the ending?
SHATNER: I would have invented the footage. I had the footage of running and jumping down hills – I needed something to run and jump after me. That wasn't there because of a number of circumstances all relating to the fact that there was no money to make an ending.
IGNFF: It's unfortunate that Paramount can be so stupidly stubborn. The film is a wonderful character piece...
SHATNER: Yes, it has a lot of that... That's true. I thank you for that.
IGNFF: So it is a done deal with Paramount?
SHATNER: Yup... yup.

Looks like Jeremy misinterpreted Shatner's "did it already" comment from a couple days ago. :frowning:

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
That sucks!!!:angry:
I suppose it's not surprising, coming from Paramount, but if all he really wanted to do was finish the ending what could've been the harm in that?
Did I mention that this sucks?

Adrian_P

Stunt Coordinator
Was looking forward to getting a new edition of this film. This is very disappointing. Well as long as it comes out with a good transfer and sound and decent amount of extras I will still buy this when it is re-released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks