What's new

SEX AND THE CITY "Premium Release" (1 Viewer)

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member

The first season or two was shot on 16mm, which is why it's so grainy. I don't know if they could get it looking much better.

Gord

Andreas_K

Stunt Coordinator

That's (among other factors) why I prefer collecting RC1 shows over the RC2 versions. In the UK they frequently release shows in a nicer package once they've completed their run. Sex and the City, Friends, Star Trek TNG&DS9, Farscape, Roswell, Millennium, Futurama and Buffy come to mind as shows who all have been re-released (repackaged) as "complete series" sets by now.
When I buy the RC1 set of a show at least I was sure that's going to be the only version available and the risk of "having to double dip" (nobody forces anybody - but for fans the temptation can be great) was minimal.

John McM

Second Unit
am I the only person who realizes the "geek" quality actually is there with this show, especially among gay men? S&TC is one of the few shows that I've seen every episode at least once (I've seen all of 1-5 and most of 6 twice too), Buffy, Roseanne, South Park and Family Guy are the only other shows I know for sure I've seen every episode.

S&TC does have a pretty devoted fanbase, maybe not to the extent that you see with Buffy, but there are quite a few of us who really do get geeky when it comes to this show.

LindseyS

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, HBO really loves to milk every penny. According to this news story from TSoD the set now comes with a previously unreleased disc, in addition to the suede box (which I never really wanted anyway). Hopefully we can get the disc without shelling out the $299.95. :angry:

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
If the story in Variety is accurate, the extra disc is nothing to get excited about:

In other words, fluff.

M.

Kris_AB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris
I hate that they saved all the deleted scenes for Season 6 Part 2, the only release I don't own. When I heard about this boxed series set back in February, I figured I'd sell what I own on eBay and get it. But $300 is just a little bit insane. HBO is insane.

I still want it though, damn it. Full series boxed sets are just cool. I wasn't planning on ever buying Friends. I loved the show while it was on, but I rarely considered it anything more than disposable entertainment. Now with the big shiny boxed set though...

Still waiting for the North American versions of the full series boxed sets for Buffy and Angel.

I only own the first season of Six Feet Under on DVD, the rest is taped off of The Movie Network (and the only reason I own Season 1 is because I had a very good Xmas for gift certificates that year). I was planning on getting Seasons 2 through 5 eventually, but is there even a point when there's a chance HBO will release a series set that might also contain more extras?

JamesTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
Question- are all of the previously released discs going to be included in this complete series set? As in every single one of them?
-James

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Posted over at TVShowsonDVD.com:

Sex and the City - List of Sextras and packaging shots
Posted by Gord Lacey
8/06/2005

HBO has released information on the contents of the 20th disc in their massive Sex and the City DVD collection, due to hit stores on November 1, as well as packaging shots.

Extras will include:
Sex Essentials - a video jukebox for advice, quips and quotes on dating, sex, fashion and more.
Location, Location, Location - a guide to the restaurants, clubs and boutiques frequented by Carrie and friends.
Naughty or Nice? - the ultimate test to find out which character from the series you are most like.
You Can Quote Me On It - a "finish that phrase" game that tests your knowledge of the show.
En-SEX-lopedia - an all encompassing guide that takes a look back at the defining moments in dating, fashion, friendship and relationships.

Here are some shots of the packaging we put together from material that was available to us.

ChadKo

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know if the disks in the complete series box will be identical to the ones in the individual boxed sets, meaning will the screens and menus be the same or will they differ as well as the outside of the disk?

Chad

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
I'm 99% sure they'll be the same. The box sets are a way for companies to sell something that's already paid for, so doing new transfers and menus doesn't make much sense since it adds to the cost, and lowers the profit.

Gord

Guido

Stunt Coordinator
THe only difference I see (I own every set) based on the specs is the disc art, the box, and then the bonus disc, which really has no features relevant to the show itself, only quizzes, games, etc etc.

Anyone correct me if I'm wrong please.

JamesTaylor

Stunt Coordinator
I actually am hoping that HBO finds a way so that the people who have been loyal and bought the entire 6 seasons previously, can purchase the bonus disc and the nex box, so that completists can have it, without having to buy the 6 seasons again, just for the box and a new disc.
-James

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I have merged your thread with the existing one on the subject. It was found using the search function.

M.

Jay_B!

Screenwriter

why not? Warner is going to provide Friends boxes for those who own the existing sets, so why can't HBO do the same? It's not like it's a Buffy/Friends style deal where the consumer will be saving money buying the definitive S&TC set. It's going to flop miserably because everyone I know who'd spend $300 on S&TC already has the DVD's available with no plans on double-dipping.

ElijahS

Supporting Actor
The difference is, the disc art is going to be different for the SATC DVDs, plus there is a bonus disc. Friends is just putting all 10 available boxes into 1 larger box.

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Because they want people to re-buy the series again. If they had plans to release the material (bonus disc or package) then we would know about it by now. Interviews with HBO eomployees have said that they think the new package is good enough that fans of the show will want to buy it again to add to their collection.

You'll be able to get the Friends box if you have seasons 1-9, but you won't be able to get the Buffy or Sex and the City material unless you buy the big set.

Gord

JohnDuane

Auditioning
Anyone out there know the dimensions on the fancy book/box for this set? A big issue for me is if it will fit on my selves with my other DVD's. I would hate for this thing to come out and be too big to fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks