What's new

Seven Swords (1 Viewer)

Les Fowler

Grip
Various Retailers are now taking preorders for "Seven Swords" in Region 3. All seem to have the same 153 minute cut of the movie and a 60 minute second disc, but so far I have not seen any boasting DTS sound !

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor
Is Tsui Hark still looking for a distributor for the proposed 4-hour Director's Cut of the film? The most recent article on its status (that I could find) was in early August, on an unofficial Donnie Yen fan website.

Until the DC is officially announced (and publishing handled by anyone except GD Face), I will have to settle for the Deltamac release (for now).

Les Fowler

Grip
I'd be very interested in a 4 hour DC as well, if it ever materializes. I often get "double dipped" on films I really like !

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
Yeah...but, is the film any good? Is it worth pre-ordering blind?

Could there be a DTS version coming soon?

Les Fowler

Grip
Mine should arrive any day. I'll give a report for those who are undesided.
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

Watched about the first half of it last night and fell asleep. It's beautifully shot (as usual) and the colour combinations in each scene are wonderful. However, maybe it's just me, but after about ten beautifully shot martial arts films, they are all beginning to merge into the same thing. This may just be me failing to grasp subtle cultural nuances, but there seems to be one plot, which will inevitably involve heroic sacrifice in the last reel. Sorry, but after a while this is plain boring (not to mention depressing). Maybe Seven Swords will turn out to be different, but somehow I doubt it.

ADDITION: Well, watched the rest of it. In fairness, the plot is a little better than usual, but there is still the usual heroic sacrifice stuff. There's plenty of action sequences, but to me, they were lacklustre.

Others may disagree with this - as I said, maybe it's just me that feels jaded.

Les Fowler

Grip
I have to agree somewhat Andrew, there was not too much new here. I did enjoy it and glad I have it in my collection but if a DTS or different version comes along I'll pass on upgrading. Parts were not too realistic.... heads being cut off and no blood, and my favourate character the female badass soldier with the shaved head got killed off too soon !
Les

Donnie Eldridge

Supporting Actor
I enjoyed the movie. It keep me thoroughly entertained. I wanted more though. I didn't get that feeling of satisfaction when it was over like the first time I watched Azumi.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I saw this movie in Paris over the holidays.

GAWD DID I HATE IT. The worse movie I saw last year. My friend who is a fan of this type of flick (Her favorite movie is Musa) talked me into seeing it.

I must be missing gobs of cultural context 'cause the movie made no fucking sense. If at least the fights were interesting, not even. Then there is that bizarre love story.

The only thing remotely good about this movie is the final duel between those walls. Some decent moves.

Much like horror flicks, I feel these things are held to much lower standards of filmmaking :thumbsdown:.

Sorry, I had a really terrible time watching this thing, I had to say something. My friend hated it as well, and SHE is a huge fan of the genre!

--
H

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks