What's new

International Seven Sony Classics coming to blu-ray June 13, 2013 in Germany. (1 Viewer)

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I just received seven titles from Amazon.it. By the way, the white cover art is actually slipcovers with the regular artwork (as seen at Amazon.de) in the actual blu-ray cases.

First off, Oliver! looks just fine. Very film-like.
Guess Who's Coming to Dinner, The Wild One and The Way We Were all look fantastic!
The China Syndrome also looks very good.

Now, the bad news: Sleepless in Seattle and Philadelphia look very flat. There is no vibrancy. They don't look much like film and some would probably characterize them as soft. My guess is that these are decades-old transfers that just can't compete with today's standards. But I'll defer to the opinions of the experts.

And finally, just like Funny Girl, Oliver! does not have split surrounds. But that's as it should be. I just wish they would encode them as 4.1 instead of 5.1.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Ken Koc said:
OLIVER! really looks bad. It look like there has not been a restoration. For a Best Picture winner to look like this! IT looks just like the old DVD. I hope that TT will have a new transfer.
Ken, could you please elaborate why you think Oliver! looks bad? I think it looks pretty good. I'm curious as to why I'm hearing reports online that it looks terrible. Is it just the grain structure you're objecting to? I'm seeing lots of detail and beautiful colors.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
"As Long As He Need Me"..Nancy's face has garish pink tones...the background is red and muddy...as is the rest of the film. The whites...there's major haloing. "Boy for Sale" is an example of this. The Intermission "card" looks like it came from a washed 16mm source.
I was an usher at the theater in San Diego when OLIVER! played in its Reserved Seat Engagement. I know the film backwards and forwards. OLIVER! NEVER looked like this!! I then I put on "WAY WE WERE"...now that is a Blu Ray!

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I'm sure Grover Crisp had nothing to do to help restore this Oscar winner for Best Picture.....sadly.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Ken Koc said:
"As Long As He Need Me"..Nancy's face has garish pink tones...the background is red and muddy...as is the rest of the film. The whites...there's major haloing. "Boy for Sale" is an example of this. The Intermission "card" looks like it came from a washed 16mm source.
I was an usher at the theater in San Diego when OLIVER! played in its Reserved Seat Engagement. I know the film backwards and forwards. OLIVER! NEVER looked like this!! I then I put on "WAY WE WERE"...now that is a Blu Ray!
I've only sampled the disc so far. I'll have to take a look at the specific scenes you mention. I do agree about the intermission card. That looks like a well-worn piece of film that has travelled around the country in road show engagements. It could be that no original element exists for the intermission card. I can't condemn the transfer just for that.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Compared to virtually every Blu Ray I have....this among the worst. I have shown it to friends and their comment is " Is this Blu Ray or a DVD"?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Here are the scenes you are referencing. They look fine to me. But I have no frame of reference as I've never seen the movie theatrically. I've looked at these scenes on my projector at 9 feet wide and I'm happy with the Blu-ray. I'll be interested to hear what others think when they see the Blu-ray.
Snapshot-2013-06-27 at 04_21_03 PM-2069474145.png

Snapshot-2013-06-27 at 04_23_47 PM-1006808203.png

alexAN

Stunt Coordinator
Here in Spain most of those titles have also been released, and some found for as cheap as 6€. All of them are common discs, shared with the mentioned countries, therefore without forced subtitles in any language.

umr1

Auditioning
Real Name
Jeff Meier
I have to agree with Ken. My BD of Oliver! is one of the worst HD images I have seen. I do have some older films that are worse, but those films are much older. I do not believe any other BD's I own that are newer or from the same era are worse in a 400 disc collection. I do find it watchable, but the age quality is disappointing. For reference I have a $20,000 DLP projector, $40,000 in calibration gear in a rig that is similar in quality to a professional screening room.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Nancy's face was never that pink. And the snow there....BOY FOR SALE....not sharp with a white hue.
I have always loved OLIVER!....I check my DVD of it..it's the same transfer.
With all the fine restoration work that has been done to other Columbia titles.... there's no excuse for this. LOST HORIZON..the musical looks light years better than OLIVER! BYE BYE BIRDIE is another stunning transfer.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Don't worry, give it a few years and they will do a new "mastered in 4K" release of Oliver!, picture will be perfect but extras will be nought.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Since RAH and Richard Gallagher have weighed in on Sleepless in Seattle (Twilight Time edition) I would like to retract my comments in post #21, since I'm no expert and I don't want to discourage anyone from what is actually a stellar disc.

Why can't I edit my original post? Does the edit function expire after a certain amount of time?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Mark-P said:
Since RAH and Richard Gallagher have weighed in on Sleepless in Seattle (Twilight Time edition) I would like to retract my comments in post #21, since I'm no expert and I don't want to discourage anyone from what is actually a stellar disc.

Why can't I edit my original post? Does the edit function expire after a certain amount of time?
Yes, it does.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks