What's new

Seven Brides for Seven Brothers (1 Viewer)

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Rob_Ray said:
BRIGADOON was available on Amazon Prime streaming in HD at one point, so a blu ray should be feasible, should it not?

Possible, yes, but very expensive restoration potentially as a number of HTF members have pointed out. Just because a title is streaming in HD doesn't mean it's prepped for a proper blu-ray release. Would love to see these two titles (Brigadoon and SBFSB) on blu as well and keep in mind that Kiss Me Kate was filmed in AnscoColor as well. It's on blu and for the most part looks great.

davidmatychuk

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Matychuk
JoelA said:
Possible, yes, but very expensive restoration potentially as a number of HTF members have pointed out. Just because a title is streaming in HD doesn't mean it's prepped for a proper blu-ray release. Would love to see these two titles (Brigadoon and SBFSB) on blu as well and keep in mind that Kiss Me Kate was filmed in AnscoColor as well. It's on blu and for the most part looks great.
By coincidence, I was watching the 2nd DVD of the "Seven Brides For Seven Brothers" set just a couple of nights ago. The non-Scope version of the movie, a fun alternative, looked to be in pretty good shape, with fresher colours than the CinemaScope version on the 1st DVD. I wonder if a pristine new restoration might not draw too much attention to the cheap painted backdrops in the outdoor scenes. Still, everything else about this movie is so appealing, energetic, and entertaining that audiences have always been willing to overlook the cut corners in this under budgeted popular classic, so I hope MGM gives everybody's favourite slummocking backwoodsmen a Millie-style sprucing up (for Blu-Ray) sometime soon.

Camper

Supporting Actor
Real Name
David Dennis
Seven Brides is the final musical on my Blu-ray wish list and this doesn't sound like I'll be getting it anytime soon.

GlennF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn Frost
Well, don't know if I am talking out of school, or what stage any of this is at, but back in March I wrote Mr. Harris about the Kiss Me Kate blu-ray, trying to understand why it got a 5 for video, despite the softness in much of the 2D version. This is the reply I got. The last part makes me think they have at least been working on this title. Hope I am not being a "bad boy" because this could all be way off in the future.

"What you're seeing is one of the anomalies of Ansco Color stock, as well as dupes.

A very interesting stock from a color perspective, but had a myriad of other problems.

Freddie Young was forced by M-G-M to use it for Lust for Life, and hated it, although it was a

bit more fade resistant than Eastman 5248.

Wait to you get to see Seven Brides... same stock. Same problems.

RAH"

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
Any news or rumors on this? As the film's director Stanley Donen is still with us, hopefully Warner has contacted him and that he has been able to participate in the process of getting SBFSB restored (at least, as restored as is possible) for Blu-ray/ HD, if not theatrical..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks