What's new

Setup Disc: DVD or Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

69-er

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry
I am finally going the extra mile about getting the most out of my LCD TV. Since I am still somewhat new in the technical aspects of HD setups, I think I will be buying Disney's WOW disc. However, I have two format choices. Since I still don't own a Blu-ray player, I was thinking about getting the DVD disc. Is there any real advantage of using the Blu-ray setup disc instead of the DVD? Can I get the same calibration results with the DVD? It seems that since the setup procedures have more to do with adjustments for color, contrast, etc, maybe the lack of resolution won't be a problem. Am I thinking correctly on this? Thanks! Larry

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Larry:

If you want to "get the most out of" your LCD TV...a blu-ray player would be a great investment. The higher resolution will knock your socks off.

If you are only asking about which disc to get given your current set-up, get the DVD version as the blu disc won't play on a DVD player. Blu-ray players are backwards compatible and will play both formats, but DVD players won't play the higher-resolution discs.

What size TV are we talking about? The bigger the set, the more you would appreciate the better resolution of the Blu-ray images.

And...welcome to the forum!

69-er

Auditioning
Real Name
Larry
Mike Frezon said:
Larry: If you want to "get the most out of" your LCD TV...a blu-ray player would be a great investment.  The higher resolution will knock your socks off.  If you are only asking about which disc to get given your current set-up, get the DVD version as the blu disc won't play on a DVD player.  Blu-ray players are backwards compatible and will play both formats, but DVD players won't play the higher-resolution discs.  What size TV are we talking about?  The bigger the set, the more you would appreciate the better resolution of the Blu-ray images. And...welcome to the forum! 
Thanks Mike! I very rarely watch movies on disc. I guess that's why I've never upgraded to a Blu-ray player. Lately, any movies I watch are downloaded via my TiVo. At the moment, I'm only concerned about setting up the TV, which is a 55" Sony LCD. I figure if a DVD disc will work for this I won't worry about getting a Blu-ray player just now. Later down the road, maybe. Larry

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well....a 55" screen would definitely enjoy getting sourced by a Blu-ray player. Again...you'll be stunned by 1080p images on that baby.

But, if you are watching most of your stuff from your TiVo...be sure to check out our TV forums...and you'll find lots of info on the various calibration discs out there...including Disney's WOW disc.

All the best!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks