What's new

Setting up my first system (2 Viewers)

confused123

Auditioning
Real Name
soren
Hi there
I just received my first projector and sound system. It's a BenQ W700 DLP-projektor and Samsung HT-E5500 sound system. I planning on using my PC as a media center. I am having some trouble with the wiring and would like to get some confirmation before I go ahead and by the cables I think I need.
The cable that came with the projector is VGA, but my GPU on has 2x DVi and 1x what seems like a HDMI exit. There is 2 HDMI inputs on the projector, but it didn't come with a cable. Should I:
1) get a long VGA/DVI coverter cable?
2) buy a long HDMI cable?
3) Is there any limit to how long these cables ca be without losing quality etc?
As goes for the sound system, I am a little lost. I have positioned and all the speakers and connected them to the box, but from there I am confused. I assume that the input to the sound system box goes from the projector and not the PC? But is it through the "L/R AUX IN" or could I use HDMI? I am pretty sure the sound system didn't come with a cable to the AUX - inputs.
Any feed back is highly appreciated.
Thank you

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Well, if your HTiB isn't capable of using HDMI and toslink together....(read your manual. you bought it)
You will need to run your computer and your HTiB separately to the projector.
What you fail to mention is how the audio is coming out of the computer...
toslink?
headphone jack?
6 channel?
More info. But the limiting factor here will be the hoop jumping for the HTiB since you didn't buy a real receiver.

confused123

Auditioning
Real Name
soren
Hi
Thanks a lot for replying! Really nice of you.
Honestly, I was drowning in information when I was looking to buy the gear, so I ended up just blindly buying 2 popular items with decent reviews having the intention of problem solving as I go and not minding if I need to thow a little more money at extra gear to make it work. Not optimal though, I know...
The projector user manual is basically a 4 page cartoon showing how to connect stuff and then 1 page of specifications. Surprisingly little information. Toslink is the optical sound cable thing right? My HTiB does have a jack like that, but wouldn't know where to plug the other end. I am decently computer savvy, but I am completely inexperienced with sound and projectors. I was kind of hoping that a HDMI-cable from the PC could also carry sound info and thus having a HDMI-cable from PC to HTiB and then from HTiB to projector finishing the chain. But I guess that is unfeasible if HDMI can't carry sound-info.
At the moment, the PC just has a regular onboard soundcard, but with the black analog port for surround speakers. If I need to buy a new sound card or even an entirely new media center just for this purpose, then so be it.
But let me get this right.
- I need video to the projector. This can be done with either HDMI or a DVI to VGA cable from my PC.
- I need sound to the HTiB. This has to come from the PC in one of the ways you listed.
- I _don't_ neccesarily need a HDMI link from the HTiB to the projector as long as I am not relying on the disc drive to play movies.
Basically I need a proper sound card, a sound transferring cable and a VGA to DVI cable to fit in my DVI graphics card.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
OK...
Does your computer have HDMI? You said DVI-VGA...which is not HDMI.
Here are "the facts" about your system...you bought.
Your projector has 1 HDMI.
Your HTiB(according to the Samsung info I found) has 2 HDMI inputs.
What...cause your hopping and skipping all over the place...does your computer have?
IF your computer has HDMI...
Computer to the HTiB via HDMI.
HTiB to the projector via HDMI.
Done. Period. Watch a movie.
If your computer does NOT have HDMI(what does it have since you've mentioned VGA, DVI and HDMI)...
You will need to find out if you can run DVI -> HDMI for the video into the HTiB with "something else"(which is again, what? 6 channel? Headphone? mini-toslink??????) for the audio.
So....what. Is. Your. Computer. Capable. Of?

confused123

Auditioning
Real Name
soren
GPU has 2x DVI and 1x Mini-HDMI
Sound card only has the 3 standard jacks like this:
http://www.google.dk/imgres?um=1&hl=da&safe=off&sa=N&tbo=d&biw=1457&bih=957&tbm=isch&tbnid=Z23PsFuRnfhvtM:&imgrefurl=http://atr.k12.hi.us/tutorials/tutorials/sound/soundpt1.htm&docid=ZiaDZuvFoiutrM&imgurl=http://atr.k12.hi.us/tutorials/tutorials/sound/images/ssintegrated.jpg&w=400&h=327&ei=RiaxUMneK4rFswbz7oCIAw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=180&vpy=146&dur=834&hovh=203&hovw=248&tx=141&ty=164&sig=108042072353814196760&page=1&tbnh=137&tbnw=159&start=0&ndsp=35&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0,i:86
Projector has 2x HDMI, VGA, analog, S-video
HTiB has 2x HDMI in as well as 1x HDMI out
Thanks for being patient. I take it that Mini-HDMI to HDMI linking the PC and HTiB, and then regular HDMI between HTiB and projector is the way to go then?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
My laptop(that I frequently use connected to an Onkyo AVR) uses Realtek High Definition Audio....
My laptop has bluetooth...
So, I can...
Set up Audio and video leaving the HDMI.
Set up Video leaving HDMI while...
1. Bluetooth handles audio
2. mini-toslink handles audio
3. headphone jack handles audio.
4. Internal speakers (can't do all four at once...have to pick one)
or, I can run the video out VGA while utilizing the 4 options that "aren't" HDMI for the audio. (on my laptop, taking the video "off" the HDMI automatically removes the option of "HDMI audio")

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks