What's new

Setting up a Theater Room, questions on equipment (1 Viewer)

Lerch

Auditioning
Real Name
steve
Hi all

I have recently moved into a new home with a theater room and i am getting ready to set the room up.

I was looking to get a Epson 8350 powerlite HD projector and the screen i was thinking about was a Elite Screens Curve 120WH1.

From where my projector would drop down from the ceiling to where the screen would be is just at 13 feet away. The room is capable of being totally blacked out and is already set up with surrond sound

Since i know pretty much nothing on whats good with all this stuff i was wondering if this would be a good money vs preformance set up. I really dont wanna spend more than about $2500 for the projector and screen so if there is a better way to go please let me know.

Also on running the cables I need to run about 30 feet from the Blue ray and cable box to projector, should i do HDMI or Cat 5/6 ??

thanks
steve

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What "surround sound" is there? Cause your BD and STB should go "there" first...then "there" to the projector.

30 feet is no problem for HDMI, Cat extender is not necessary.

If your curve is 2.40:1...you don't have enough room at 13 feet, you do at 16:9 though.

It also depends on "what 13 feet" really means. Is that the back of the projector, or the front(which I hope it is)...as the 8350 needs a minimum throw(lens measurement) of 12'6" for 120" 2.40:1.

Lerch

Auditioning
Real Name
steve
I am not sure what type of surround sound is set up in there, the home builder installed it with the house so i am sure it is not amazingly high quality, it is 6 speakers mounted in the ceiling. two forward near the screen, two mid and two behind. I would be installing a sub woofer more than likely.

On the curve ratio's i dont fully understand what all that means ?

thanks

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way...once I searched it...the 120WH1 Lunette is 16:9. The 2.40 version is only sold in 115" and 125".

You are good at 13 feet regardless.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
All 6 speakers are in the ceiling? Boy is that pooch sore...

What AVR/Processor is running the 6 speakers(and 7, once you add a center)?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Home screens are generally sold in 16:9(like a TV) or 2.40:1(there are others...but those two make the bulk of it).

2.40 is better if the primary use is DVD/BD.
16:9 is better if the primary use is OTA/Broadcast(read...football/basketball/baseball)

And there is the 3rd group among us that have "adjustable screens"(via curtains usually) to show Academy Ratio.

Lerch

Auditioning
Real Name
steve
I dont have head unit for the surround sound yet, what is wrong wit hthem in the ceiling ?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
The "surround" speakers are fine in the ceiling.

It is the front two. They are supposed to be in the wall facing the seating. Not straight down right into the floor.

Now if they put in motorized speakers that "pop out" and angle towards the couch(es), sure...but still not what 95% of us would have done(I design for a home builder...after I walked into one of their homes with a "pre-done" theater room and I laughed at it. My cousin is a doctor and he, along with other Drs. he knows, bought houses from a "custom builder" and he asked me to correct his theatre. After correcting two of them. I finally called this home builder and asked them who does their theater design. The answer I got?...."We don't have anybody that specifically designs them...")

GeorgeAB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
G. Alan Brown
I am a bit surprised that no one has mentioned to you yet that a curved screen is only appropriate for use with an anamorphic lens option. From the sound of your other responses, I doubt you even know what that is. It appears that your first two equipment decisions will not even work together. My advice to you is to do more study on how to design a front projection home theater. There are some decent books available on the subject. You could also seek professional help, if you live in an area with such resources. You could also just get a large TV instead of a projector and screen.

As with the "custom home builder" mentioned previously, the vast majority of consumers get lost pretty fast in attempting to design a correct entertainment system. Many even think they know what they're doing, but do not. There is no shortage of poorly designed home theaters in the world. Buyer's remorse is also a common malady.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
GeorgeAB said:
I am a bit surprised that no one has mentioned to you yet that a curved screen is only appropriate for use with an anamorphic lens option. From the sound of your other responses, I doubt you even know what that is. It appears that your first two equipment decisions will not even work together. My advice to you is to do more study on how to design a front projection home theater. There are some decent books available on the subject. You could also seek professional help, if you live in an area with such resources. You could also just get a large TV instead of a projector and screen.

As with the "custom home builder" mentioned previously, the vast majority of consumers get lost pretty fast in attempting to design a correct entertainment system. Many even think they know what they're doing, but do not. There is no shortage of poorly designed home theaters in the world. Buyer's remorse is also a common malady.
I missed that on the anamorphic. I don't usually deal with

Lerch

Auditioning
Real Name
steve
Thank you all for the info

Yes i do not know much at all about this stuff, that is why i was wanting to get on here and ask, to avoid the dumb ass mistakes :)

So with the projector i am looking at I would need to stick to a flat screen since it is not a anamorphic lense ?

I really need to stay under the $2500 mark for the projector and screen, any recommendations ? I will watch mostly blue ray on it but i will also watch some basketball, big OKC Thunder fan

thanks
steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks