What's new

Setting center channel to "LARGE" (1 Viewer)

PhillipC

Stunt Coordinator
Just wondering what everyone has their center channel set to? Would this be a good idea? I have Paradigm reference speakers all around and my Studio 100's are set to large only. I am running without a sub

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Look at how people with multiple subs are advised to position them: in the same corner/location.

Setting more speakers to LARGE creates the same problem as having multiple subs in different locations: complex peaks in the room.

It also draws more power from your receiver/amp to drive that woofer.

But.. try it. It cannot hurt to do the experiment.

Marc H

Second Unit
If the center speaker has the range, try large for sure. Why introduce another filter into the dialog if you don't have to?

Jon G.

Stunt Coordinator
Paradigm Reference Studio CC definately does NOT have the range to be set to large. I have the same center and have measured it's output and find it drops at least -3 dbs around 70Hz, your room may vary...

I have mine crossed over at 70Hz.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
If the PRS CC is -3 dB at 70, I would not filter at 70 - this will create a dip in the FR at that point. 80 Hz would be a much better choice.

A rule of thumb is to filter a half octave above the -3 dB point, so the speaker does not start to naturally roll-off while also being filtered, thus creating a dip in the FR.

These high pass filters are not brick walls - they are usually 12 dB/octave or 18 dB/octave, so the speaker will be asked to play well below the filter point.

Some DVD's have full range, full power signals in all channels, including the center. I've never seen a center channel with an F3 of much less than 50 Hz - they almost have to be high passed in order not to lose the bass in that channel.

Regards,

Ed

Camp

Senior HTF Member
I used to run my DefTech CLR-2000 in Large. I figured it could take it so why not? I never really gave it another thought untill I was bored one day and experimented with it.

It sounded much better for movies when set to small. Music wasn't all that different but movies & general TV watching was better in Small.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
If the center speaker has the range, try large for sure. Why introduce another filter into the dialog if you don't have to?
Because a lot of programming has poorly equalized voice tracks with to much bottom end. If you run the center full-range you get unnaturally boomy dialog, especially with male voices. This is probably why Camp liked it better with his center set to small.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Justin Ward

Supporting Actor
Another consideration. Isn't it true that some soundtracks have no LFE track. If this is so, all the bass is in the 5 discrete channels and if they are large, you are effectively "wasting" your subwoofer.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Another consideration. Isn't it true that some soundtracks have no LFE track. If this is so, all the bass is in the 5 discrete channels and if they are large, you are effectively "wasting" your subwoofer.
Not exactly. All receivers have some sort of "Bass Management". When you tell the receiver that a speaker is SMALL, it will take sounds below 80/90/100/.. intended for that speaker and send it to the nearest LARGE speaker, or the sub, or sometimes both.

But each brand of receiver or processor can do this a bit differently so check your manual to see how your particular electronics handles this.

Ricky T

Supporting Actor
If a speaker can't do an honest 45-50hz (at ~90-100dB), I wouldn't set it as Large....you would lose the information that the speaker cannot reproduce.

MarkO

Second Unit
Because a lot of programming has poorly equalized voice tracks with to much bottom end. If you run the center full-range you get unnaturally boomy dialog, especially with male voices
The main reason a center will do this is because most of the time there is a large flat object below or above it called a Television. The reflection it causes in the bass region is huge. IMO setting the center to small, (if this is where you're center is located) is you're best bet. Even if it is capable of low frequency response.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Mark,

Yes, this can certainly be a factor.

I have an AudioControl RTA connected line-level to my system giving a real-time, full-range reading of the program’s frequency response. Anytime I hear it, the RTA display verifies the source of it is the program – a no-brainer when you see a voice give a severe “haystack” curve that peaks as low as 60Hz.

But I'm with you - in either case (placement or program content) setting the center to small gets the best results. Setting it to large will only aggravate the problem.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks