What's new

Sergio Leone Special Editions (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Yeah, definitely a big thanks for all the info guys. I can't wait for the R1 releases!

Kain_C

Screenwriter
God, I hope they don't ruin those movies by reintegrating ridiculous deleted scenes like they did with The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly. Deleted scenes are that way for a REASON!! I am still angry over that one.

Looks like I will be double-dipping for these versions otherwise.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg

I take it you mean the added scene that John CW speaks of?

Anyway, I look forward to blind buying this set with pride.

Kain_C

Screenwriter

Yeah, I didn't even see his post. Oops.

Anyway, yes, John CW hit the nail on the head with it. That scene made no sense and was out of place, as was the whole scene where Blondie shoots Angeleyes's goons (I guess that's who they were) near that creek or w/e. And the dubbing is very bad as it is quite obvious how aged the actors are now.

Some guy on this forum tried to say that 'version' was what premiered when the movie came out, but damned if I believe that crock.

Ushabye

Projectionist
Real Name
Paul
(Moderaters I've posted this in the Regional DVD area but thought people of Region 1 would be interested as these are probably coming your way soon also.)

I just noticed this evening to my UTTER delight that 2 disc Special Editions of both A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS and A FEW DOLLARS MORE will both be released on the 18th of April in Region 2! Here are the full list if specs - and yes they both will include Dolby Digital 5.1 & DTS, plus both are Anomorphic!

A Fistful Of Dollars - Special Edition (2 Discs) (5.1/DTS)

Fully restored with extended footage
Audio commentary by Sir Christopher Frayling
'A New Kind Of Hero' - documentary about Sergio Leone
'A Few Weeks Off In Spain' - Interview with Clint Eastwood
'Cinque Voci' - featurette
'Not Ready For Primetime' - Monye Hellman discusses the prologue
Additional scene - 'The Network Prologue'
'Restoration, Italian Style' - featurette
'Location comparisons' - featurette
Rare double-bill trailer of A Fistful Of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More
Radio spots
'The Lost Prologue' - prologue shot in the 1970's with Harry Dean Stanton
Collector's gallery
Interactive menus
Scene selection

For A Few Dollars More - Special Edition (2 Discs)(5.1/DTS)

Fully restored with extended footage
'A New Standard' - Sir Christopher Frayling on Sergio Leone
'Back For More' - Interviews with Clint Eastwood
'Tre Voci' - Interviews on Sergio Leone
'For A Few Dollars More: The Original American Release Version' - featurette on alternative versions
'Restoration notebook'
'Location comparisons'
Rare Double-bill trailer
Original theatrical trailer
Collector's gallery
Radio spots

AND THERE'S MORE!!....A Fistful of Dynamite Special Edition is out same day too!! Man, I'm so broke already!

A Fistful Of Dynamite - Special Edition (2 Discs)(5.1)

Fully restored picture and sound
Widescreen 2.35:1 Anamorphic
'The Myth Of Revolution': Sir Christopher Frayling on Sergio Leon (21 mins)
'Duck You Sucka': co-writer Sergio Donati remembers the film (7 mins)
'Sorting Out The Versions': a featurette which includes shortened versions, the long flashback sequence and UA's decision to rename the film (11 mins)
'Once Upon A Time In Italy': behind the scenes putting together the exhibit on Leone at The Autry Exhibition (5 mins)
'Location Comparisons': intercutting film clips with current footage of locations set to music (9 mins)
'Restoration Italian Style': John Kirk on restoring the original Italian version (5 mins)
Radio spots
Photo gallery
Original theatrical trailer (3 mins)

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I knew these were in the works. Hopefully we'll get these in R1 land soon. Didn't know the Dollars films were going to be extended versions though.

A bit disappointed that they didn't go with the proper title of Fistful of Dynamite (Duck You Sucker). and I'm curious as to which cut of the film they're using.

Shawn_KE

Screenwriter
I hope the gunshots sounds closer the originals than they did in the restored GBU. They sounded to modern and more out of place than the aged Eastwood and Wallace dubs.

GerardoHP

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gerardo Paron
What I'd like to know is, are they ever going to release THE COLOSSUS OF RHODES? It's my favorite Italian swords-and-sandals movie, unseen (by me) on television or anywhere in decades!

ChadMcCallum

Second Unit
If AFFOD and FAFDM are extended versions then I hope they have branching so you can choose what version you want. Maybe MGM learned the lesson with TGTBTU?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
With the R1s seemingly delayed by the Sony / MGM affair, here are some links to the DVD Times reviews of the newly released UK R2s. The specs should be nigh on identical to the R1s, when Sony finally gets round to them:

Fistful of Dynamite SE
For a Few Dollars More SE
A Fistful of Dollars SE

Note that if you can't wait, and you are multi-region enabled, Fistful of Dynamite (AKA Duck You Sucker) is cut in the UK, though not in the rest of Europe.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I wish this buyout would have happened next spring. There were so many upcoming Special Editions I was looking forward to and well as box-sets and catalogue reissues that I'm worried about now.

Jim Barg

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Barg

Exactly. I'm not particularly happy about waiting possibly up to six months more to purchase these films. I'd consider springing for the R2s, but at $24 a set (on Amazon UK) compared to the likely first week sale price of under $20 that most US stores will have, I think I'll wait.

Fistful of Dynamite question for those that have seen the restored cut: That DVD Times review mentions the restored print came from an Italian source. Does that mean the added footage is dubbed in Italian with subtitles, like the first GBU DVD's extra footage?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks