What's new

"Serenity" 12/20/05 (SEE post #38 for details) (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
According to the rumor mill at the Digital Bits. Serenity will be released on 12/20.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I watched Firefly and while it was good, I didn't think it quite lived up to its hype (admittedly, that would be pretty hard to do). Anyway, I enjoyed the show enough to want to check out the movie but if it's already coming out in December, I'll just watch the DVD.

If this actually comes out on December 20, it has to be one of the fastest DVD releases ever. Less than three months!

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
And the fact that the rumor mill has pretty complete specs means that the DVD was probably ready to go before the movie was in theaters. They were probably just waiting for the early box office returns to see how fast to bring it out.

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
At dragon*con the cast was asked about commentaries and they said the DVD was already done (and they didn't do a commentary), and this was late August.

It's actually quite typical to have the DVD complete before the theatrical release date, this is nothing new.

I also think "Shaun of the Dead" had a smiliar release pattern for Universal last year, late September Theatrical, late December DVD and it paid off very well for them. I don't see this as anything but maximizing their profits.

Patrick H.

Second Unit
The movie was delayed from April to September, so it isn't much of a surprise that the DVD is ready to go. As the audience for 'Firefly' on disc has always been exponentially larger than it seems to be for TV/theaters, this is a smart move from the studio. I have a feeling that this may well turn a nice profit at the end of the day. Fingers crossed, at least.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
From another forum, apparently from a BBFC website:

""SERENITY" 113m 59s Widescreen, DVD additional material, DVD Director's audio commentary,
"SERENITY - DELETED AND EXTENDED SCENES" 13m 26s
00:00:21:21 (EXTENDED LILAC ENTRANCE)
00:01:05:20 (EXTENDED KAYLEE AND JAYNE)
00:02:18:20 (INARA AND SHEYDRA)
00:02:12:15 (OPERATIVE TRACKS MAL)
00:02:22:05 (EXTENDED RIVER AND SIMON/HAVEN OPENING)
00:01:27:16 (ESCAPE FROM COMPANION TRAINING HOUSE)
00:00:13:17 (MAL AND INARA SHUTTLE CHASE)
00:02:16:04 (MAL AND INARA QUIET MOMENT)
00:01:06:20 (EXTENDED MAL AND OPERATIVE CODA)"

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I just finished up the firefly series and look forward to seeing the movie this weekend. As much as I enjoyed the series I'll buy the dvd. Very enjoyable stuff.

Mike Wadkins

Supporting Actor
I was a major fan of firefly and so was fully invested for a big disappointment but it never came.

Upon telling my friend that i cant watch ESB again without saying serenity was better he naturally scoffed.
Until that is he saw it and now he agrees with me and is buying the firefly box-set to play catch up.

The only minus was the sidelining of Kaylee just because of my love for the character

David Illingworth II

Second Unit
Never seen the show, but the movie was good--suprisingly good. I really liked the characters, and it had an interesting story line. The beginning is crackerjack.
Looking forward to watching the series now.

Lane_S

Agent
This is second hand in that I didn't hear it but my wife did and told me, but in response to Mike's post above, the movie reviewer on the Channel 8 news here in Dallas said something along the lines of Serenity's script was the one the Star War's prequels should have had (and he really liked the movie itself).

I loved Firefly and the amazingly tight ensemble cast, but a heavy load at work has kept me from seeing the movie yet (as well as Corpse Bride and Wallace and Gromit), but I will be seeing it next Thursday or Friday when I take a couple of days off. I can't wait as it's been hard to try and stay relatively spoiler free.

And to stay on topic, I'll be buying the DVD day and date.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor

Yeah, I can never watch Citizen Kane again without saying Lawrence of Arabia was better, either.

(My point: why does everything end up as a comparison to Star Wars?)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks